Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shotgun hunting/ hunter harassment question.

I know I'd personally be super angry about this if it were my property, so I feel your pain. If you love the property and you legally can't keep them from doing what they're doing, you could think of it as an archery and muzzy property only.

During SG season, maybe run through your own property a few times daily, starting well before shooting light, and wake up / spook off any deer on your property. They'll either scatter out or circle back in. Either way, they will be wound for sound. I know it sounds counter productive, but an alert deer has a better chance of surviving SG season. I don't really like the idea myself, but you're in a bit of a bind.

Otherwise, leasing surrounding land or selling are other options, since your neighbors don't care.

When they shoot into your property? Do deer actually get up and leave the 160 acres? That seems odd. I can’t think of many situations where a neighbor could shoot onto my land and scare anything off of it ?

It's the shooting into your property across the fence is where you can get them if you can catch them on video. Don't know of a CW or Sheriff that wouldn't pursue this. As far as them just shooting around the perimeter, like said earlier it looks like you have the only deer sanctuary around and most of the deer won't leave just from shooting on the perimeter from I've noticed before where we hunt.

How married to this ground are you? I know you've invested a lot into it. Any chance of trading it for acreage in a better neighborhood? I'm afraid if you're surrounded by landowners who have a very different view on land use than you do, you're going to be frustrated forever.

I wouldn't let them win like that. But that's just me.. :)

It's the shooting into your property across the fence is where you can get them if you can catch them on video. Don't know of a CW or Sheriff that wouldn't pursue this. As far as them just shooting around the perimeter, like said earlier it looks like you have the only deer sanctuary around and most of the deer won't leave just from shooting on the perimeter from I've noticed before where we hunt.

Agree. Seems odd they would leave that large of a block of timber.

Bow hunting this past week, it sounds like a gun range opened on the 160 north of me. Tons of gunfire and the deer hardly raise their head. Maybe they are used to it? Until they feel the sting of lead or have a slug hit near them, hard for me to think it spooks them as bad as you claim. Maybe you’re in a different situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It wouldn't help your hunting at the time, but I was wondering if you safely did some target practice with large amounts of tannerite at various places near your property line, as people walked by, if it might deter their activities. If nothing else the first one might fill their underwear o_O .

As others have mentioned, how are they getting away with firing rounds onto your property? That is a clear violation of the law....Have you actually told the CO this?(Im sure you have, I just cant imagine him doing nothing about it). Get some buddies, dress head to toe in orange, sit directly on the fence line at all corners. Dont even need guns(although Id be carrying something for sure), this would at least hopefully stop them from shooting onto you, or youd like to think it should....bad situation for sure!

Anyway you could hinge cut 30’ around your property? In a few years it would be so thick and nasty that they couldn’t see past that barrier into your property.

Go get some cheap orange vests and wrap around a tree inside your property. Visible to look like a hunter but can't see easy. Make it look like a group hunting it. Put some up like tree stand height. Next, I would have someone in a pickup drive by and park by their vehicles and get out a window spotting scope. Make them see someone is watching them. Preferably a darker gray dodge like the CO's have.

Out of all the "advice" givin, the best was sell and get a different property.
BUT, Given you can't prove they are shooting onto your property,be hard for them to prove you "spiked" their access roads the take to do so?
Kidding of course?

Wish that was the way it worked. Nowadays it's a good way to lose the farm. Can sue anyone for anything, and no shortage of crooked lawyers.

What I’d do:
-Don’t be out there during gun season. You’re just asking for a dangerous confrontation/incident
-Screen the perimeter
-Cameras to catch them entering the property.

If they can’t see deer and can’t get deer to flee the property they’ll give up and move elsewhere.

If they are shooting at “nothing” or pointing guns in your ground- I’d ask the co if that’s legal. Blinds or stands elevated by the property line & filming them doing it might be a thought??? There’s the ? Of danger at that point too I spose. Maybe not best idea with firearms. Maybe bunch of hidden cams recording video? Thinking.

You friendly at all with the neighbors? You trade anything with em? Say farm work. Or hay or any favors?? You have any leverage with a relationship there??? I own land where I give permission out. If my neighbor called me & guys I let out pulled that crap…. They’d be gone yesterday. One of the neighbors has to be “neighborly” enough to know this is garbage?? No? I’d be pressuring those neighbors hard!!!! If they know they are letting dangerous lunatics doing unethical crap- I’d have a nice firm discussion- REPEATEDLY!!!! I have to think some common sense occurs up there?? & agree on above w/lease or trade something. “Carrot or stick” approach.
Agree on rest. Put food & nasty cover in center & screen the daylights out of edge. Deer do get used to some shooting.
I’d be talking to every land owner bordering you. As a LO - I promise you… guests that create problems don’t last long if you make it firmly & constantly known to neighbor. If the neighbors refuse to do anything & law refuses to do anything…. Beyond the screen & food & cover …. & beyond throwing these guys in wood chipper ;)…. Hmmmm….. maybe a certified letter documenting that “dangerous” & unethical things going on with fire arms & u r giving them notice of such activities. If anything harmful happens from it- you could express that you have now given notice & will use any legal means necessary to remedy. If law breaking occurs - LO’s are also made aware in writing in advance. I’d probably document all this.
Man- that sucks but there has to be more carrots & sticks you can use!!

There used to be a watermelon farmer down the road from my parents, had these little propane cannons that went off continuously to deter pest, they were LOUD, sounded like a gun shot, he only had them a short while, everything, deer, coons, coyotes all became immune to the noise and became ineffective, switched to electric fencing. Had to be cheap to operate, probably easy to build. Of course I'm half joking but if the were used to sound then there would be zero to no affect from their antics. lol.

It's hard getting videos of it, my phone won't zoom that far to tell what direction they are shooting. And yes it is the only sanctuary on this particular block. Somehow they get the deer out. I always thought the big bucks were smart and would hold tight but year after year they get the deer running and kill the biggest buck on the property along with many other deer.

Yeah, how many deer are they killing for the landowners? If it's something you think you could handle, offer to lease the ground and remove a similar amount.
They don't give any meat to the land owners. We have offered to lease it but they won't go for it.

Top Bottom