Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shotgun Season Strategy Advice Needed?

ksbooner

Am planning on hunting both shotgun seasons on my landowner tag and was wondering what strategies others have used.

I plan to just hunt evenings on standing corn (i've knocked down) or standing beans.

Anyone have any luck in shotgun season?

Thanks Very Much Guys!
Cory

During shotgun season, I always find a good funnel / escape route and sit all day. My main hope is people driving surrounding properties will push the deer into these areas. In the evening I may slip up to a field edge the last hour and a half of the day as the deer drives start to dwindle down.

At least in my area, all day sits are a must because you never know who is going to push what. If you had private ground of large size that nobody hunts then maybe the deer would be on a normal pattern and then hunting food would be key. I still would hunt all the mornings though.

My experience has shown that if you can get into an area quietly and just sit there and not move around much the deer will come. If there is not pressure outside of yourself on private ground the deer have a tendency to move into an area and stay there until they are pressured out especially if they are grouped up from being pushed into your hunting area. Once they have settled down they will start to move around some. Being near feed is a plus. Best of luck.

trper

I'll be in the wonderful Loess Hills again with a nice sized group of 10. Hopefully with this size of group we'll actually be able to push the deer the way we want them to go and maybe take a few nice ones home!
Good luck to all and be safe!

Find a good group to go with and do drives... personally, after long sits in a deer a stand during bowseason nothing beats the comraderie of a group and pushing big brown fuzzy animals around.. the food is always great too... its like thanksgiving a week after thanksgiving ;) then when late muzz comess u can sit in a stand again being that ur using your landowners tag for shotgun

Find out what the people around you are doing. If they are going to be pushing the deer use that to your advantage. If they are going to be sitting find a good spot along the property line by 9 or 10 most likely they will be moving unless they are die hards. Let your property sit as long as possible let every one push them to you.

Top Bottom