Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Single most important ingredient in a food plot?

Wi transplant

PMA Member
We have had barely an inch of rain since early july in my part of iowa !! No water! Equal no food plots!! Heres my brassicas on sept 1st ! Worst drought ive seen in my lifetime!! Hows everyone else doing with there's???
cf0954b881906ba0606e3a3e0e3125b8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Mine look great- I didn’t till most of them this year as I got behind on things- just mowed and spread seed. The mulch has really helped retain moisture for me. The ones I tilled, they are struggling bad.

16" on farm since Jan 1. Driest I've ever seen. No brassicas there this year. Clover is brown.
My clover is on north side of trees and on bottom of a slope so still hanging in there ! Gonna load up on ww and wr tomorrow and wait till rain in forecast and seed heavy to hope have something green!!

checked ours this weekend too. Clovers are all smoked, buck outs are really sparse, and turnips are toast. Only thing looking good is the beans that were fenced in.

Your title "single most important ingredient in a food plot"
Conserving moisture has to b number 1 since you went into your dry year description.
Many things that u can do that help.
This is the farmer in me.
FOCUS And work really hard on the things that you have control over.
Don't let the things that you have NO control over cloud your Mind, you will go bonkers.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

Your title "single most important ingredient in a food plot"
Conserving moisture has to b number 1 since you went into your dry year description.
Many things that u can do that help.
This is the farmer in me.
FOCUS And work really hard on the things that you have control over.
Don't let the things that you have NO control over cloud your Mind, you will go bonkers.

I thought i did after the last 2 really dry Augusts here i went total no till and planted all in buckwheat in spring and then broadcast seed rolled and sprayed buckwheat to help conserve moisture! But when theres no moisture to conserve your pretty much screwed!! Lol!! Still have fall grains as an option ! And still praying for a soaking rain!!!

I thought i did after the last 2 really dry Augusts here i went total no till and planted all in buckwheat in spring and then broadcast seed rolled and sprayed buckwheat to help conserve moisture! But when theres no moisture to conserve your pretty much screwed!! Lol!! Still have fall grains as an option ! And still praying for a soaking rain!!!

Sometimes just can't win, try not to get discouraged.
Be very careful not to change or make a drastic move just because of a situation. Keep on it what you r doing.
1 example , I hear farmers say because of a early frost this year I will never plant that long of a day corn ever again.

What kind a soil are you on?
How big is this plot?
Big mature trees close by?

Last edited:
We too are in an area that has had little to no rain in at least a couple of months now. Rutabagas = nothing. Turnips/rape/radishes = nothing...at least so far. Some of it could still go if I get some rain on it. Now waiting for some moisture before hitting the peas/oats/rye and WW.

What kind a soil are you on?
How big is this plot?
Big mature trees close by?

Who were you asking? If it was me the soils are good black silty loams. Have 2 of these corn plots about 1.75 acres each. There are some big mature oak close by but it is an old cattle pasture so it is very open, working on changing that very soon. Also believe it or not. We did not apply any fertilizer to these plots, but like I said it was cattle pasture for a very long time.

I replanted my brassicas on august 14, have gotten regular rains since and they look great so far, our 2 acres of beans look great minus what the neighbors cows have eaten, and we just got our new plot of rye planted this weekend.

If not for the frost seeding I did this year I would have nothing. The clover is decent but spotty, growing best where shaded. If we could get some fall rains it could all bounce. I’m very new to farming/food plots. There are 5 ponds on our property. I bought a semi trash pump and hoses this morning. I have access to a sprayer trailer and a 250 gallon water tank. I have no experience with this but I’m seriously determined to attempt some irrigation. Just wish I had thought about it sooner.

Who were you asking? If it was me the soils are good black silty loams. Have 2 of these corn plots about 1.75 acres each. There are some big mature oak close by but it is an old cattle pasture so it is very open, working on changing that very soon. Also believe it or not. We did not apply any fertilizer to these plots, but like I said it was cattle pasture for a very long time.
I forgot to make sure I was asking these 3 questions to WI TRANSPLANT

If not for the frost seeding I did this year I would have nothing. The clover is decent but spotty, growing best where shaded. If we could get some fall rains it could all bounce. I’m very new to farming/food plots. There are 5 ponds on our property. I bought a semi trash pump and hoses this morning. I have access to a sprayer trailer and a 250 gallon water tank. I have no experience with this but I’m seriously determined to attempt some irrigation. Just wish I had thought about it sooner.
I don't want to discourage you, but a 250 gallon tank is going to take A LOT of refills...for just one acre. An inch of rain = 27,000+ gallons of water on one acre.

If you could get a direct pump going from a nearby pond, I could see where it might be feasible, but moving water...seems like a pretty tough proposition. (BTW, I have had the same idea myself. :))

Same situation in NC MO Putnam Co. We planted our brassicas late July with very little rain since. I just picked up some bob oats and rye to over seed
Screenshot_20220906-104607_Gmail.jpg

I was in North MO over the weekend and am dissapointed again this year. Same story different year. We planted two weeks ago. One farm has gotten .3 since planting in two different "events" and virtually nothing came up. Not sure if the rest of the seed didn't germinate or came up and burned. The other farm is about 7 miles away as the crow flies and got 1/2" more and has some growth. That may just burn up though since the chances don't look good coming up.

Top Bottom