Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
Last year I shot Remington Accutips 2 3/4". I probably got 2" groups at 100yds. That's as far as I've shot it. I bought the gun right before shotgun season. This year I'm going to try the Federal Trophy Copper's in a 3". I've heard of people touching at 100, 1.5-2" at 150, and 3" or so at 200yds.

My savage 220 at 100 yards had a 3 shot group that were practically in the same hole. A slight cloverleaf and better than my muzz which shocked me. At 150 yards all 3 were within 1inch. 200 yards is tough as they drop like a rock. I found if i keep my scope at 7 power and use the line where my crosshair goes from skinny to fat it is dead on. The groups opened up to about 3 inches but my rest was not the best. These were with remington 2 3/4inch accutips.

The 3 inch federals did not shoot well out of my gun. About a 2.5 group at 100 yards is best I could do. At 150 it was about 4 inches.

Awesome gun that feels like a rifle though.

ForumRunner_20130909_174830.png

The problem isn't accuracy as much at 200 yards as it is energy down range.

Almost any sabot slug on the market still has the energy at 200 yards. Deer are not made of steel. Shot placement is still #1 on any shot. A shot at 200 yards needs to be put behind the shoulder in the lungs. Plenty of enegy left to pop through some ribs and lungs. You won't get the "drop like a rock" effect at 200 like you get at 50 on a high shoulder shot but they won't go far

Almost any sabot slug on the market still has the energy at 200 yards. Deer are not made of steel. Shot placement is still #1 on any shot. A shot at 200 yards needs to be put behind the shoulder in the lungs. Plenty of enegy left to pop through some ribs and lungs. You won't get the "drop like a rock" effect at 200 like you get at 50 on a high shoulder shot but they won't go far

They use 1,000 ft lbs energy as a guideline for killing a deer and 1500-1700 for elk. Remington's accutips carry right at 1,000 at 200 yards. That's not shoulder punching power but enough to penetrate ribs as you said. I just don't like relying on minimums.

I've never shot a deer with a slug gun over 131 yards. I shoot 20 guage 3" 1 oz Remington buckhammers out of a fully rifled 18 1/2" barreled 870 and at 131 it will drive all the way through a fully mature bucks shoulder and out the other side DOA. I've seen muzzeloader shots at 200+ with a 250 grain bullet blow through a deer also. Its all shot placement. I agree though, its foolish to rely on minimums but if they would run those numbers as momentum instead of KE It would make a.world of difference.

The problem isn't accuracy as much at 200 yards as it is energy down range.

Idk how to explain 200, 220 and 245yd shots with a slug gun, killing deer and not having them run more than 100yds..and 2/3 had both entry and exit holes. the minimums they state aren't realistic minimums.. they are minimums for ideal effectiveness for the general public. Not by standards of not being able to get the job done. 800ft# will still do the job with no problem if you do your part behind the gun

Last year I shot Remington Accutips 2 3/4". I probably got 2" groups at 100yds. That's as far as I've shot it. I bought the gun right before shotgun season. This year I'm going to try the Federal Trophy Copper's in a 3". I've heard of people touching at 100, 1.5-2" at 150, and 3" or so at 200yds.

My savage 220 at 100 yards had a 3 shot group that were practically in the same hole. A slight cloverleaf and better than my muzz which shocked me. At 150 yards all 3 were within 1inch. 200 yards is tough as they drop like a rock. I found if i keep my scope at 7 power and use the line where my crosshair goes from skinny to fat it is dead on. The groups opened up to about 3 inches but my rest was not the best. These were with remington 2 3/4inch accutips.

The 3 inch federals did not shoot well out of my gun. About a 2.5 group at 100 yards is best I could do. At 150 it was about 4 inches.

Awesome gun that feels like a rifle though.

View attachment 2061

jjohnson and Liv, is that with the 12 ga model, or 20 ga? Mine is the older 12 ga model 210, so not sure I can get the same accuracy (I'm sure they've made some improvements).

An examples for a companies minimums: the ideal minimum shot size for geese is #2 or larger. Ducks are #4 or larger pheasants are #6 or larger.

Idk how many times I've killed geese with #4, ducks with 6's and pheasant with #7.5.. its been often.

"Minimums" are very likely the SWAG (Silly Wild A$$ Guesstimate) of some desk jockey. Guidelines at best. Damned sure not gospel.

jjohnson and Liv, is that with the 12 ga model, or 20 ga? Mine is the older 12 ga model 210, so not sure I can get the same accuracy (I'm sure they've made some improvements).

I have the 12ga model 210 also and can get -2" groups at 100yds, and at 200 with a 3-9x40 Nikon, 6" groups shooting Hornaday SST. My Mossberg bolt action is just as good but with a redfield 3-9x40. Surprisingly being a semi auto, my sbe2 groups better than any of them.

This year, they will be tested with the barnes expanders. Shooting for 75-100yd groups.

Obviously nothing is set in stone, but its not a swag from Ammo manufacturers. There's a great deal of science behind it. I'm sure some idiot somewhere has killed a deer with a slug at 300+ yards and that doesn't mean now everyone can do it.

200 yards is asking a lot from the gun AND the shooter with a slug. As others have said, just because the weapon is capable doesn't mean the shooter is.

Kinda like bows are capable at 100 yards but most shooters are not....

It's the same with a running deer. If I gave a bunch of hunters 5 slugs and said hit a paper plate(generous target) at 100 yards while its moving at the same speed as a running deer, how many could do it 5 for 5? Heck I'd bet most couldn't hit it 3 of 5, yet a lot if guys still take that shot figuring they hit once out of 5. I'd even move it up to 50 and see what happens.

I have the 12ga model 210 also and can get -2" groups at 100yds, and at 200 with a 3-9x40 Nikon, 6" groups shooting Hornaday SST. My Mossberg bolt action is just as good but with a redfield 3-9x40. Surprisingly being a semi auto, my sbe2 groups better than any of them.

This year, they will be tested with the barnes expanders. Shooting for 75-100yd groups.

Have you tried the Accutips? I have a couple boxes that I haven't tried yet. I've tried the SSTs and Breneke KOs, but didn't notice much difference from Winchester Super Xs, so I shoot the Winchesters. Also, any trouble with shells getting hung up when ejecting? Been thinking about trading for the 220 so I'd have the removable clip and would put a better scope on than I have now. But this gun has knocked a lot of deer down and it's cheaper to keep it, so I keep it around.:)

The 220 is the 20 gauge version. Practically no kick with this gun and has the adjustable accutrigger. I can't wait to try it out.

Obviously nothing is set in stone, but its not a swag from Ammo manufacturers. There's a great deal of science behind it. I'm sure some idiot somewhere has killed a deer with a slug at 300+ yards and that doesn't mean now everyone can do it.

200 yards is asking a lot from the gun AND the shooter with a slug. As others have said, just because the weapon is capable doesn't mean the shooter is.

Kinda like bows are capable at 100 yards but most shooters are not....

It's the same with a running deer. If I gave a bunch of hunters 5 slugs and said hit a paper plate(generous target) at 100 yards while its moving at the same speed as a running deer, how many could do it 5 for 5? Heck I'd bet most couldn't hit it 3 of 5, yet a lot if guys still take that shot figuring they hit once out of 5. I'd even move it up to 50 and see what happens.

It simply comes down to you got to know your weapon. Your right, most guys that shotgun hunt probably couldn't hit a bus at 100 yards at deer speeds. A lot of people do not practice. Then there are the few that can with ease. It simply comes down to the shooter. Most weapons can outshoot the shooter.

The 220 is the 20 gauge version. Practically no kick with this gun and has the adjustable accutrigger. I can't wait to try it out.

Ok, I was thinking the new models with the accutrigger and detachable clip were all 220s, but guess the 12 ga is now a 212. I've heard others (not on IW) say the 220 20 ga is pretty awesome on accuracy too.

One of the most important things to determine is which slug shoots best out of the gun. Each gun (even identical models) shoots different slugs differently and you have to match the slug to the gun you are shooting.

Have you tried the Accutips? I have a couple boxes that I haven't tried yet. I've tried the SSTs and Breneke KOs, but didn't notice much difference from Winchester Super Xs, so I shoot the Winchesters. Also, any trouble with shells getting hung up when ejecting? Been thinking about trading for the 220 so I'd have the removable clip and would put a better scope on than I have now. But this gun has knocked a lot of deer down and it's cheaper to keep it, so I keep it around.:)

I have not shot them. I almost tried them last year but couldn't find any when push came to shove.

My savage 12 is a killer gun, and has made several bucks hit the dirt. If I ever get another it'll be the 220 and when I'm planning on doing more stand hunting. My brother usually uses that gun on a regular basis.. he thinks its the best thing since sliced bread! lol maybe someday he will buy it from me.... doubt it tho.. he's using it for free lol

The 220 you will find has exceptional accuracy, and range. I've sighted in 2 and the are amazing! 4" group at 200 yds last year and only 12" of drop

After all the hype about different slugs, I'm excited to give federal Barnes expanders a try this year as I'm looking for expansion and knock down power. I was able to get 10 boxes of 2 3/4" for $100 from cabelas:) The SST has few contenders in my book as far as accuracy goes, and flat trajectory. But lacks in expansion. Still arguably one of the top 3 slugs on the market regardless.

Thanks for the discussion guys. I have been looking at upgrading for a while now and you guys just sold me on the 220. I was torn between the 212 and 220 and now I know it will have plenty of knockdown power on long shots. Plus it won't hurt the wallet or shoulder as much!

I didn't read thru all this but, FYI - if you get an 870 or 1187 or any remington with rifled barrel - I'd highly recommend Winchester gold partition slugs out of that gun. Very tight group and they fly excellent. Other slugs like the Hornady's flew horrible out of any remington I tried them on.

Top Bottom