Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Slump Buster!!!

Matthewfox_45

It’s been 6 years since I’ve shot a buck. Enough said!!! Today I managed to harvest the buck I’ve been after for the last 3 years. Before tonight, I had only laid eyes on him once and that was this year during bow season. At about 2:15 I hopped into a simple pallet blind my son and I made. It was overlooking a new plot that we had just put in this fall…due to budgetary constraints, it was only cereal rye. I didn’t have super high hopes, but was happy to hunt. My son and brother in law were in a homemade bale blind an overlooking a brassica plot south of me. At 3:30 a little half rack came in and left which was fine by me…didn’t need any extra eyes to pick me off. At almost 4:30, I could hear footsteps to my west….not a spot I expected a deer to come from. Next I faintly see a rack and face, but dense multi flora rose kept me from getting much of a look. A couple more steps and my heart nearly explodes…it’s him and he’s in bow range!!! He angles into the plot and stops at 15 yards and I wasn’t ready at all! I thought, it’s now or never, raise my gun and he starts trotting up the hill to the west. I quickly stand as the rose bushes were preventing a shot. I kept thinking, “be ready, he’s going to stop”. And low and behold, he did, and he turned broadside at 50 yards. Somehow, I managed to make the shot. I took a moment to compose myself And put him down for good as the first shot hit him in the spine. I got out of the blind and walked up to the ghost of the farm, as I got near him, I fell to my knees and started crying…it’s been a long buckless spell, and closing the book on an absolute stud of a deer was more then I could handle. He’s a mainframe 10 with 4 stickers, great beam length, and mass for days! A buddy taped him out when I got home. 182 4/8”….easily my biggest buck and I got to share the moment with my son and brother in law.486B5403-3113-4B1E-B18D-158AEA8CCC99.jpeg58F1D699-926F-43C2-9832-BE094B9300F6.jpegC770B347-A5B7-400B-9A68-8A193AA87C82.jpeg6EB6B3E0-E4F0-4618-83F8-676AFB81664C.jpeg8139124B-9B69-49D4-871C-0F5D82713206.jpeg

Great buck to end a drought on, congrats! It'd be interesting to see the last three yrs of trailcam pics, if you have any. I always find the history of a deer leading up to his final day intriguing.

What a giant & congrats on ending a long quest for a pig!!!!
Post some pics of these homemade blinds too !! Wanna see a “pallet blind”! Congrats on a hammer of a buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome deer! Three years of history chasing him is amazing and glad you capitalized!

Congrats

Congrats on a fabulous buck! Patience and persistence paid off big time for you. I would also like the see the pallet blind, that is a great ide

What a giant & congrats on ending a long quest for a pig!!!!
Post some pics of these homemade blinds too !! Wanna see a “pallet blind”! Congrats on a hammer of a buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The pallet blinds are nothing special. Just a “u” shape 2 on the front, 1 on each side. We have a couple tucked into thick stuff and allows us to hunt plots with weird winds. I’d like to make something more elaborate someday. The bale blind turned out pretty good and my son has killed probably half a dozen deer out of it.425F21FF-A681-418B-8A65-460FCB8E4033.jpeg

Top Bottom