Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Smoke cover?

newfarmer

So we have an outside wood burner which is always bellowing smoke. I’ve often wanted to hang my clothes outside but worry about the smoke (scent free ya know). Tonight I sat and watched the deer basically playing in the smoke path- so I guess maybe I should be using it as cover scent on this farm? But would the deer react the same 1/2 mile away if I was in a stand? Any have experiences on it? I don’t think I’d want to hang my clothes in a direct pry right? Just seems weird to want to add the smell, but it’s natural for them at this point so?
Sorry if it’s a dumb question- just trying to talk myself through my thinking

I've intentionally bathed my clothes in smoke many times. Heavy smoke, not just a light covering. I can't say for sure how much it helps but it definitely has no negative affect.
I think I get away with more when I do it, but I can't be sure of it.

Although I don't recall all of the details, this subject has been covered here on IW previously. My recollection is that there were some fellows very persuaded by "smoking up" and do so routinely. I would recommend searching for an old thread or two...I think you could probably find them and glean a good amount of thoughts on the subject.

When I'm hunting at my cabin, I always have a (smudge)fire going in a 55 gallon barrel.
Have taken many pics of deer withing 10feer of the smoke.

Although I don't recall all of the details, this subject has been covered here on IW previously. My recollection is that there were some fellows very persuaded by "smoking up" and do so routinely. I would recommend searching for an old thread or two...I think you could probably find them and glean a good amount of thoughts on the subject.
I tried - there are a TON of posts with smoke in them. I will have to keep digging. Thanks

One thing for sure, the native americans were successful hunters using smoke for cover scent. I used to smoke cigs while hunting, never spooked a deer and killed several with a cig hanging out my mouth. I don't do that anymore but I can't say it hurt my hunting.

My neighbor likes to keep the creek clean and he burns all the time in the summer. I see deer grazing right in the smoke. Doesn't bother them a bit, but I will add this...

Deer smell the way we see colors in a picture. We smell pizza and a deer would smell every ingredient in the pizza.

The way I see it the real question is: do cover scents really work?

Last edited:
My neighbor likes to keep the creek clean and he burns all the time in the summer. I see deer grazing right in the smoke. Doesn't bother them a bit, but I will add this...

Deer smell the way we see colors in a picture. We smell pizza and a deer would smell every ingredient in the pizza.

The way I see it the real question is: do cover scents really work?

Good thing I smell like apricot lavender then ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom