Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Smokeless ML Project

breckhawk

PMA Member
Thought it would be fun to share the progress of my smokeless build. Been talking to Luke at ASG and finally decided to bite the bullet. I opted for the rem 700 centerfire re-barrel option. I have built a few AR's and bedded a boyds stock on a rem 700 so i'm not a complete novice...but everything I have learned has been from youtube videos...and by no means am I a gunsmith. Hopefully in the end this will show how easy the process is and maybe someone else will decide to take the plunge after checking this out.

First step was to find a donor rifle. I went back and forth on a Remington UML for awhile. Spent a few trips going to pawn shops looking for something. Never quite could find one I liked. I wanted to find a donor that had a nice stock already to save a little money. A trip to Scheels in Omaha finally produced what I was looking for. They had put 2 Remington 700 Stainless 308 5R's on sale from $1100 down to $799. Score. The lowest I saw them online was for $850. Here I didn't have to worry about the transfer fees.

The nice thing about the 5R is that the barrel is pretty sought after. I shouldnt have a problem selling it on eBay after Luke removes it ($25 dollar charge). I have seen them go for $200-300 on there so that should drive the price of the donor gun/action down to about $550-600 net. You could do much cheaper...but with a brand new beautiful stainless action/jeweled bolt ($400) plus a nice HS Precision Stock ($350) it was pretty tough to pass up. Here is a link to the exact rifle:

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-stainless-5-r

After a bit of back and forth I decided I really liked the jeweled bolt...but I liked the look of a fluted bolt better. I decided to go with Kampfeld Customs as I have never heard a bad thing about them. I also added
a bolt knob for looks. It was $175 for all the work...and he had it turned around in less than a week. Here is the bolt before and after:

It is his Remington TI fluting. The same fluting that Remington used on their titanium rifles...hence the name.

Now it is time to send it to Luke. I remove the action screws to send him just the barreled action. It will be going out later today.

Once I get it back it should be a matter of removing a bit of the barrel channel on the stock and shaping to get it to fit. I liked this donor build as the barrel is extra heavy...so most of the work should already be done. The barrel I went with is a 26" Brux modified sendero contour. It will have the LRMP 2 plug system. If all goes well I should be around $1900 into my dream gun...before the scope.

I will update after I get it back from ASG. Still haven't settled on a scope. I really like the Leupold firedot reticle. I'm leaning towards a VX-R CDS 4-12x40. Maybe I can work up a load and get a custom dial for it.

If you guys have any completed smokeless setups lets see them! What power scopes do you have? Any other gotcha's on a build like this?

That's awesome, I've been thinking of doing something similar myself. I just can't get myself to drop that much coin. But I sure can't wait to see your results. That might be enough to make me pull the trigger.

I'd love to have a smokeless set up, but can't hit crap past 150 yards anyway. Very cool build though

Very nice! I have the same barrel (45 cal.) on a 700ml conversion and it is a tack driver!!! Paired it with a Leupold VX-2 CDS 4-12x40 with their wind-plex reticle. If you were going to do any long range competition you may want to go 6-18 power (or more) but the 4-12 is awesome for hunting! Luke will get you on the right path as far as getting a good load worked up. Think you will like the end product.

You will want at least a 24x scope. I think I be doing similar with a Remington 700 22-250 I have in gun safe at some point.

Looks great!

Looks great so far. I have a rem 700 with a pacnor barrel. I will be shooting the parker emax bullet. not sure on how much powder to use or which brand.

Looks great so far. I have a rem 700 with a pacnor barrel. I will be shooting the parker emax bullet. not sure on how much powder to use or which brand.

Who’s doing the build for you? If it’s Luke (Arrohead Sporting Goods LLC), just ask him. He’ll get you started. Otherwise, forums like Doug’s Message Board have a lot of info that should help.

6DF06D14-FE02-4566-A571-0E4244AA878D.jpeg
Here’s my setup:
Savage Model 10
25” Brux with Harrell’s radial brake
All parts were cerekoted
ASG 209 plug
Boyd’s Pro Varmint stock with pillars/bedding job
Vortex Viper HS-LR 4-16x44
I’m shooting full formed 310gr bullets at 2700fps. Luke helped with the barrel install. Other than that all work was done by me. Love the gun!

Who’s doing the build for you? If it’s Luke (Arrohead Sporting Goods LLC), just ask him. He’ll get you started. Otherwise, forums like Doug’s Message Board have a lot of info that should help.

This. He has me starting with the 275 Parker BE's. There is also a 7 page pdf on .45 load info on Doug's Message board that I downloaded. It has a ton of info.

I am thinking about getting the Vortex HST 6X24X50. MOA. Should be a great scope to reach out there and poke one.

You dirt bags!!!! Had to get me all excited!!!.... well, just dropped a couple grand+ with Luke. Got the vortex 5x25x50mm with the Illuminated reticle. Brux barrel for my TC and all the stuff to go with it- full package. This better be good or I’m gonna start a GoFundMe account to recoup this money. :)

He got me scope but here’s what I wanted. I really like the illuminated in hazy conditions or when last of shooting hours are coming to end....
http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt...per-pst-ffp-rifle-scope/2503457.uts?slotId=2#

Last edited:
You have officially joined the darkside! Mine should be ready within the next few weeks. I just got the takeoff barrel back in the mail and it sold for 250 on eBay within 5 hours.

Got it back yesterday! Looks amazing. Chamber area is massive as expected. I have a little stock work to do. Hoping to get to it this weekend. Going to lay the barreled action on top of the stock and trace out the outline of the new barrel. It looks like the chamber extends about 2" longer into the barrel channel than the old one.

View media item 110541
Also picked up a set of Warne Mountain Tech precision 30mm rings and the mountain tech base. I went back and forth on other bases/rings but in the end I went with these as I found some pretty good deals on them $75 for the rings on eBay and $50 for the base.

View media item 110540
Been eyeing the VX-R 4-12x40 and just ordered one this morning. It's certainly coming together.

I remember that barreled action because that factory barrel was a real stubborn one. Usually the SS ones aren't that bad, but apparently the 5R gets a little extra torque.

You dirt bags!!!! Had to get me all excited!!!.... well, just dropped a couple grand+ with Luke. Got the vortex 5x25x50mm with the Illuminated reticle. Brux barrel for my TC and all the stuff to go with it- full package. This better be good or I’m gonna start a GoFundMe account to recoup this money. :)

He got me scope but here’s what I wanted. I really like the illuminated in hazy conditions or when last of shooting hours are coming to end....
http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt...per-pst-ffp-rifle-scope/2503457.uts?slotId=2#

Did you order it purosefully or accidentally because you dropped money on the floor walking by his booth?

Top Bottom