Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SSB 3134 Restricts how much the DNR and County Conservation Boards can spend to acquire land

Fishbonker

Life Member
This bill puts a cap on what the DNR or CCBs can pay for land.

Link: <Land acquisition caps>

The way I read it, the bill would cap the amount of money the DNR and CCBs could pay per acre of ground. The cap would be a percentage of the asking price for land that is for sale. It varies between types of ground and the way it looks if the asking price was 5K/acre for woodland/non-tillable ground the most the DNR/CCBs could pay would be 75% of the asking price or $3750/acre.

Unreal…where do they come up with these things? I’m sure the market will align with such a bill and private buyers will also…

Because Farm Bureau wants every single acre in Iowa to be farmed. If the state or county buys it, a farmer can't buy it.

This bill was introduced by the Senator that brought us this year's proposal for the increase in NR tags. When the bill first dropped it was listed as sponsored by Senator Klemish of Winneshiek County, a couple hours later it was listed as a committee bill.

We are trying to figure out if the bill has legs. I'm running under the assumption it does based on how far a similar proposal got two years ago. Senator Shipley led the charge on that one and he is on the sub.

Here is a link to the zoom meeting for this sub. If you follow the link and sign in at the time of the meeting you can hear and see what is being said and they will give you an opportunity to comment.

<Zoom It>

Here is a lint to a place where you can leave public comments: <Add Comments Here> bottom right-hand side is the button to click to leave comments.

Meeting is at 1500, comments can be left at any time.

We are trying to figure out if the bill has legs. I'm running under the assumption it does based on how far a similar proposal got two years ago. Senator Shipley led the charge on that one and he is on the sub.

We have heard that this bill has the support of almost every Senate Republican. So, yeah, it has legs. I was unable to watch the zoom today but heard there were over 100 attendees and none spoke in favor.

Top Bottom