Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Starting to think cell cams….

Very valid points Hardwood. I don’t know where a middle ground is or if one can be achieved. As Sep said there are too many variables. Idk.

Shit like this .. I know what’s going on now …coon dogs . Ironically it was today over noon hour.
I get it. In this case, it's a real time surveillance camera. If used for such, they shouldn't also be used to provide real time data on quarry that you are actively hunting. IMO

I'm waiting for Starlink to start providing real time infrared satellite imaging before I start paying into any monthly mobile data plan. I may not be able to tell which specific deer are which, but I'll know exactly where they are and when.

I get it. In this case, it's a real time surveillance camera. If used for such, they shouldn't also be used to provide real time data on quarry that you are actively hunting. IMO

I'm waiting for Starlink to start providing real time infrared satellite imaging before I start paying into any monthly mobile data plan. I may not be able to tell which specific deer are which, but I'll know exactly where they are and when.

I’m 7 hours away, so I can’t use real time data for hunting . I understand what you are saying .

I hear ya. At 7 hours away what can you do about the above pic?? But, not saying you would take advantage, when you’re on the farm the real time is a huge advantage from a hunting perspective

I hear ya. At 7 hours away what can you do about the above pic?? But, not saying you would take advantage, when you’re on the farm the real time is a huge advantage from a hunting perspective

I can call the neighbor and have him check on my farm or look for a vehicle or trespassers —which I have done.

Nothing shocks a trespasser like a “hey the owner of this farm just got a picture of you”

Buddy of mine in Illinois got a picture of one this year mid day. One of those cold, windy days. Decided to not hunt that day because it was so miserable outside..... until he got the picture. Grabbed all his stuff, rushed outside, snuck into the area quietly and found the deer bedded and zipped him. Not a giant or anything, just your everyday nice deer. But still... that deer doesn't die without tripping that cell cam. I'm happy for my buddy! This isn't jealousy or anything like that. But we're kidding ourselves if we don't see how this is being played by a LOT of guys. If you need another example, watch Mike Reed of Midwest Whitetail go after that "Kelce" buck. Cell cam data has been, in my opinion, the foundation of his strategy targeting that deer.

Again, I'm not butt hurt about it. It's legal right now to use them. Just sharing how I see it.

I get the call the neighbor thing but the locals know when you’re there and when you’re not. Not much you can do 500 miles away. Cell cam or not it’s futile

I know many on here may not care or agree but in the the larger realm of public opinion, which effects us all, I believe cell cams are looked upon as a unfair advantage over the quarry. I can't legally call my buddy & say hey stay in the stand a big boy is headed your way so why can a camera?

I am overall undecided on my end. For security it's almost a must if you do not live on your property or otherwise employ some other live feed security system. But stories of I wasn't gonna hunt until I got a picture doesn't impress me much. just my opinion and understand that doesn't represent everyone.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The DNR and local police take forever to respond. Not their priority and I don’t want to waste their time. I called once, years ago, by the time they arrived deer gutted, dragged out and they had two beers at the truck before leaving. Lol

About two years ago my neighbor calls and advises an Amish family attached a blind to their phone booth and killed at least 10 deer in my field across the road. I called the dnr. Nothing was done. The response I received was “ I’m sure they were only does.” What’s it matter?? I’ll never call again.

Last edited:
I know of 2 deer that were taken that would probably still be walking if not for cell cams. Both 170+. Both harvested within a few hrs of walking past a cam. The guys weren’t even planning on hunting those days. They got pics before sun up and slipped in to their stands. “I got the pic at 4:30 and shot him at 7’30.

No different than calling/texting a buddy and telling him where they are at. How is a real time pic any different than a real time text?

This. Why I hate / won’t use them for hunting.

Hardwood...Pretty sure from the looks of that dog that's not a coondog running at noon but he's definitely in pursuit of something.

Don't doubt for a second cell cams have increased the odds of success and aided in taking of many deer. I use them and will make no bones about it they aid in a lot of my decision making on which farm to hunt more than others and which deer to target but ultimately for me when I can only hunt weekends and holidays it comes down to wind direction more than anything as to where I go. So it doesn't give me a whole lot of advantage. Have never harvested a deer because of them.

In all honesty what doesn't give us advantages in fair chase anymore?

- Cell cams>reg cams>no cams.
- Straight wall>riffled barreled scoped sg>bird barrel pumpkin slug sg.
- Crossbows>compound>recurves.
- heated blinds
- food plots...... I sat in stand last Sunday and saw nothing but buddy hunting 100 yards away on the other side of ditch saw 15+
sitting over an awesome plot with beans and turnips.
- $1000s of sitka clothing with battery heated clothes

I have always been a die hard longbow and wood arrow guy who would never own nor want the "help" of a camera. I hunt from a stand mostly and plant a couple food plots. We all draw our lines for killing related to effort in different places. I have been doing this a long time and have learned one thing about defining fair chase - we should all be able to agree on self-imposed limits but we will never get there. In my lifetime the line only goes one way - making killing easier in the name of "bowhunting." The State imposes the bare minimum standards. The rest is up to us individually. I will only ever kill a certain way - the size of the animal has to take a backseat to the size of the effort. Again, we all draw that line at different places and to expect common ground for reasonable standards is a waste of time. I don't want or need a camera to kill. Many do. I have to agree with the OP but humans are not good at self regulating when it comes to hunting.

• Deleted by Spysar
Show…
….should be illegal. At least during season. I realize it’s probably an unpopular opinion as I love getting the pics as much as the next guy I really do. But, I’m seeing big buck after big buck being harvested that cell cams played a major major role in. I believe they’re the biggest “game changer” weve maybe ever seen in the industry. The ability to know where a deer is at in real time before you pick which stand you’re going to hunt as you walk out the door in the morning or evening is borderline cheating imo. I know of several 180”-200” deer taken in the last 3 weeks and almost everyone of them were in large part bc of the real time info.
Would these deer have been killed otherwise? Maybe. But from what I’ve seen this season it’s really changed my mind on it. Just too big of an advantage imo
Thoughts?
Some states have banned all trail cameras on public land and maybe that is the future for all states and maybe it's also for the best. Private landowners have the right to use whatever trail cameras they choose and probably always will due to the need and claim of "for security purposes". Some insurance Companies will lower the premium if you have cellular cameras protecting your property and equipment. As far as being an advantage; maybe maybe not. For the deer to bing to your cell phone it has to be moving so by the time you can get to that area and get in your tree or blind where is the deer now? Obviously, you can guess where the deer is heading to next and try to get there before it does. But will it go there? Will a doe take it somewhere else? Will other critters spook it and alter its travel route? Will it decide to head to water to get a drink and not go where you guessed? My 2 cents worth is no type of trail camera should be allowed on public land and landowners should be allowed to use them on their own land.

One thing about cellular TC that after awhile humans will justify about anything that’s just our nature!
It’s no different than the straight wall cartridge law. People were against it but will be using them during the next two gun seasons.
If you are old enough to remember Paul Harvey he always said “ self government won’t work without self discipline “

The major poacher deterrent that they are offsets any thing else in my opinion.

We have so much thick thick cover that you could know where a big buck is, but getting to see him in real life is another story.
Maybe in more open cover they would get you in rifle range.

We knew where a monster lived for three years. Had 8 cameras on 1.5 acres, never could pattern him. He was killed a mile away on a hot doe.

Some states have banned all trail cameras on public land and maybe that is the future for all states and maybe it's also for the best. Private landowners have the right to use whatever trail cameras they choose and probably always will due to the need and claim of "for security purposes". ...
I personally would love to see all trail cameras banned from Iowa public land. As for private land, personally, I really don't think people should have to buy tags or abide by most any hunting / fishing regulations when it comes to hunting / fishing their own personal property. It's their land, whatever's on it, is theirs. I may not agree with their methods, but there's nothing new about that.

Maybe it's been said, cell cams are probably best at getting big bucks killed by showing one has shown up on a certain food plot or in a little patch of woods now for 3 consecutive days, so it's time to go set up on him. Allows guys to totally avoid a killer food source until the time is exactly right.

Top Bottom