Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

U got switch in some of those pics!!!
Last mow- 10”-12” maybe mid August. Depending on weed pressure.
personally, imo- I’d just do a spring spraying. The only residuals id run is atrazine, simazine, 2,4-d (which is a short residual & not enough by long shot).
Since U now will have ESTABLISHED switch - early To mid may is about latest now- watch soil temps &
Switch coming out of dormancy to assess latest time to spray. Ideally, just be couple weeks before soil temps are where natives will come out of dormancy. (New seeding is later spraying - which is not ur case now). Gly + atrazine/simazine + ams + 2,4-d end of April or beginning of may. If u seeded lil more in winter & u put enough atrazine/simazine down - u might be able walk away next year as “done”. Looks good! I think u have more there than u realize. Natives are always a Patience game & every year is filled with guys who think they have failures. Some do, but many don’t - especially those that followed correct steps. Most failures are from lack of following steps. Think u in good shape!

U got switch in some of those pics!!!
Last mow- 10”-12” maybe mid August. Depending on weed pressure.
personally, imo- I’d just do a spring spraying. The only residuals id run is atrazine, simazine, 2,4-d (which is a short residual & not enough by long shot).
Since U now will have ESTABLISHED switch - early To mid may is about latest now- watch soil temps &
Switch coming out of dormancy to assess latest time to spray. Ideally, just be couple weeks before soil temps are where natives will come out of dormancy. (New seeding is later spraying - which is not ur case now). Gly + atrazine/simazine + ams + 2,4-d end of April or beginning of may. If u seeded lil more in winter & u put enough atrazine/simazine down - u might be able walk away next year as “done”. Looks good! I think u have more there than u realize. Natives are always a Patience game & every year is filled with guys who think they have failures. Some do, but many don’t - especially those that followed correct steps. Most failures are from lack of following steps. Think u in good shape!

Music to my ears right there! :)

1. when I spray the Gly + atrazine/simazine + ams + 2,4-d end of April, should I also spray the atrazine/simazine part of that equation in March or pregreen up as well? Or just keep it all together as you referenced?
2. I guess my only other reserve on overseeding again is the prospect of wash out here. I think that was part of my problem. Attached is a pic of the flooding event this early spring that I had. Although I don’t expect it to be that bad again, with the heavy spring rains in this section is does get the standing/moving water. But it does decipate quickly as the water naturally goes down to the timber where the slope to the ditch is. I know ideally, I’d drill the seed in, but without that, do you think the frost seeded seeds work their way in far enough to limit the amount of wash out? I know without tilling now this time around, that should help that, correct?

Attachments

• 90D3240A-CB80-41A0-927C-2D247B35CC4B.jpeg
    90D3240A-CB80-41A0-927C-2D247B35CC4B.jpeg
    343.2 KB · Views: 320
  • 3F0A5465-BFEF-4CAA-982A-9BAD8AE1D649.jpeg
    3F0A5465-BFEF-4CAA-982A-9BAD8AE1D649.jpeg
    379.8 KB · Views: 305
Seed will get to soil. Freeze & thaw will put it in the soil. A flood could wash it away or cover it with junk. So- u run some risks no doubt.
I’d probably just do one cocktail with heavy of atrazine as u can put in as well and do it end of April or so. Run all of above in one spray - it’ll kill weeds and keep a lot of weeds down for a while so switch can get going.

• Deleted by titan23_87
Show…
Just find a farmer to get it. It’s not hard. It’s so common. Or just use simazine. If labels “didn’t limit things” & I hypothetically could say I’d put down 4-5 quarts of atrazine per acre (or simazine) - sure would be nice. Unfortunately I can’t say that & it’s not labeled at that rate.

(New seeding is later spraying - which is not ur case now). Gly + atrazine/simazine + ams + 2,4-d end of April or beginning of may.
Skip,
Loved your vids of your switchgrass progress. Helpful.

I planted SG for first time this year. Frost sowed some. Drilled others about 4 weeks later. Some is looking great others have lots of weeds and foxtail. Drill def looking better than the sowed.

Do I understand you correctly with the above statement that it is ok to spray gly in second year of planting?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's some 2nd year stuff that's about 3' tall at the moment. Far from ideal location as it does get some shade, but doing well. I seeded down all my road ditches for birds.

....yeah people think I'm crazy when they see me doing stuff like this.
0835ef5c8b40422c75b38e2592716613.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Skip,
Loved your vids of your switchgrass progress. Helpful.

I planted SG for first time this year. Frost sowed some. Drilled others about 4 weeks later. Some is looking great others have lots of weeds and foxtail. Drill def looking better than the sowed.

Do I understand you correctly with the above statement that it is ok to spray gly in second year of planting?

Thanks!

No problem at all on Gly 2nd year. Just make sure u spray before plants come out of dormancy & send up green new growth. I’d personally mix in atrazine as well.

No problem at all on Gly 2nd year. Just make sure u spray before plants come out of dormancy & send up green new growth. I’d personally mix in atrazine as well.

Got it. Thanks!

Also, nearly everywhere I planted CIR SG, foxtail is going crazy. Almost like it was planted. Any thoughts on controlling/removing?

Thanks!

Got it. Thanks!

Also, nearly everywhere I planted CIR SG, foxtail is going crazy. Almost like it was planted. Any thoughts on controlling/removing?

Thanks!

Foxtail & crabgrass are 2 of atrazines weaknesses. There’s large amounts of weed seed in corn or beans that had “mediocre weed control”. Where foxtail & CG got to seed.
If u planting into sod or burnt down cool seasons - u will have almost none.
The year before switch is planted- beans & corn need immaculate weed control so especially foxtail doesn’t go bonkers & ideally has zero that goes to seed.
The times when u suspect it will be an issue - can put light metolachlor (dual II) with atrazine. & probably want to spray extra rounds of Gly around late may on a NEW SEEDING. If/when it comes in..... quinclorac + methylated seed oil. Could run some more atrazine as well as it will have post emergent killing power with the oil when it hits Foxtail & CG. Both of em suck!!! There’s a way around it but most folks (including myself ) find themselves being reactive vs proactive beforehand. It’s a mess. Keep on the mowing & Spraying. In those areas... interseed this winter as needed and be very aggressive on next years herbicide sprayings.

Is anyone seeing any new seedlings? I've got nothing. Zero. Zilch. This is the time of year where doubts start to creep in. I guess I'll go mow it. That will make me feel better. On a positive note. The 2nd and 3rd year stuff looks amazing.
I posted the above on June 28th. Switch never did materialize. Not sure what happened. I frost seeded it in late February onto a fairly clean bed. Anyway, it's a pretty small area so I went outside the box. Soaked some seed in cool water for 1 day. Let drain for 1 day. Alternated seed from freezer to refrigerator for 10 days. (stratified)? Spread out on tarp and dried for 2 days, stirring occasionally. Then I reseeded the area at 20 lbs per acre and drug it with a harrow. Thankfully, we got a little rain shortly after seed went down. Went out yesterday and it appears to be working. I've got about 3 or 4 plants per sq ft so far. It's been so stinking dry here. I think a good soaker rain would probably make it pop, but I'd be happy with 4 plants per ft at this point.

I posted the above on June 28th. Switch never did materialize. Not sure what happened. I frost seeded it in late February onto a fairly clean bed. Anyway, it's a pretty small area so I went outside the box. Soaked some seed in cool water for 1 day. Let drain for 1 day. Alternated seed from freezer to refrigerator for 10 days. (stratified)? Spread out on tarp and dried for 2 days, stirring occasionally. Then I reseeded the area at 20 lbs per acre and drug it with a harrow. Thankfully, we got a little rain shortly after seed went down. Went out yesterday and it appears to be working. I've got about 3 or 4 plants per sq ft so far. It's been so stinking dry here. I think a good soaker rain would probably make it pop, but I'd be happy with 4 plants per ft at this point.
I think you might be on to somthing. I saw elsewhere that a guy was doing similar and always waited to plant until mid may with outstanding results. Like some of the best first year stands I've ever seen.

I think you might be on to somthing. I saw elsewhere that a guy was doing similar and always waited to plant until mid may with outstanding results. Like some of the best first year stands I've ever seen.
The problem with planting this late in the year is it's sooooo hot and dry. We get a little rain and 24 hours later the top 1" of soil is bone dry again. Right now I'm seeing the most growth where there is some light plant residue. It's holding just enough moisture to allow for germination. The bare dirt is not doing so well. I'm hoping to get enough of a stand this year where it will drop seed and fill in next year.

I was curious about mesotrione for weed control. Thinking along the lines of common corn herbicides that might relate to switch. Did a little research. I’d call it a “no-go”. Injury for sure. Does give the known recognition to quinclorac (plus methylated seed oil)
36d2c93377379dcbf4a2dbd8b632bcca.jpg

a94dcd393457f7b1f24714cf422a998f.jpg

What is this stuff? its all over my first yr switch field.. also my first yr switch is doing pretty well.. not the thickest but alot of plants are knee to waist high.. there is alot of of this weed and velvet leaf and some foxtail that got missed on my quinclorac spraying . My question is should I do anymore this year or just let it go? 24d? Or mow and spray gly and 24d in say october when switch is dormant? Or just wait until next spring?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
68290d30d6bb72d7b3213d12f878fd3f.jpg
353e1bac65e04861821e1e8fb57e5a8c.jpg

What is this stuff? its all over my first yr switch field.. also my first yr switch is doing pretty well.. not the thickest but alot of plants are knee to waist high.. there is alot of of this weed and velvet leaf and some foxtail that got missed on my quinclorac spraying . My question is should I do anymore this year or just let it go? 24d? Or mow and spray gly and 24d in say october when switch is dormant? Or just wait until next spring?

68290d30d6bb72d7b3213d12f878fd3f.jpg
353e1bac65e04861821e1e8fb57e5a8c.jpg
It is called Buffalo Bur and you definitely don't want it

• Deleted by Austin
Show…
Went to some other ground that was “rough” & looked at some native seeding. Check this out. This weekend. Just coming up... small. Likely delayed with drier soil, maybe delayed germination, etc. it’s Like 6”-8” tall as of aug 2 & just had started.... It’s coming.
a33fd2f0ce0b07239127c1de64240633.jpg

Any recommendations on my above post about the buffalo bur?

Top Bottom