Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

target buck last day

OneSlugDoug

This buck was my #1 target buck and I gave him the name “Crabby”

Oct. 22nd I had 3 does come out and Crabby was right behind them, unfortunately the does got downwind before he could come in range. That was the first time I had seen Crabby and right away he was the buck I wanted to harvest.

Oct. 29th my dad hunted the same stand and saw Crabby come out but not in range.

Nov. 3rd I finally get a deer cam pic of Crabby, which was in the same field where we been seeing him. After hunting the stand I had seen him every time I had the right wind, I was hoping I would get a crack at him.

6538-deer_cam_2010-3_227.jpg

Nov. 7th I had the right wind so I went out in the morning. The morning started out slow until a doe came out and stayed in the field, I kept waiting for a buck to come behind her but nothing. After 15 minutes I heard a branch break behind me and could see a rack coming through the trees right away I knew it was Crabby and grabbed my bow. He was coming on the perfect 20 yard trail and I drew back before he came out into the field. It seemed like everything was actually going to work out, until the wind changed and crabby stopped right before coming out of the trees, it felt like I was pulled back forever. Crabby finally decided to come out only problem was he came out on the 40 yard trail and my adrenaline was going crazy, I stopped him and let an arrow fly and ended up shooting over him! It is one of the worst feelings seeing your target buck run off. After that I never saw Crabby the rest of bow season.

Now onto 2nd season shotgun with my landowner tag, the last Saturday of the season I setup in our big corn field and waited for my neighbors to do their usual drives. As the deer started pouring out of the woods I seen Crabby only problem was he ran on the other side of the field. On Sunday I setup where Crabby and all the deer ran on Saturday, a bunch of does came out 100 yards from me and I got ready waiting for the rest of the deer to come. As more does came towards me I see Crabby and 2 other nice bucks run right by where I was sitting Saturday.

I was excited when late muzzleloader season came around hoping to finally harvest Crabby.

Jan. 6th I hunted the afternoon and saw a big wide 10 pointer, and set my sights on him. After hunting every night I was only seeing does.

Jan. 10th As I went out that afternoon I told my dad I was going to kill Crabby tonight! I sat right against the fence line 60 yards from where I was seeing does come out. As it was getting late I was thinking I wasn’t going to see anything, finally some does came out right where I was hoping, I was excited until I see some does come along the fence line of the field across from me and 3 bucks were following them. I grabbed my binoculars and saw 2 bucks that had nice potential and the last one was Crabby. The does crossed the fence and came into the field I was in, so I belly crawled into the field to get in range where the does came out. I got setup and waited, the bucks came out 250 yards further up the field. I tried to crawl in range but the does saw me and spooked into the middle of the field and the bucks followed. I was sitting there thinking it was the last day and I might as well try to get closer and get a shot. I got over to where there was a little slope and the deer couldn’t see me as I got to the top of the hill I saw a doe and got my gun ready I stood up and only saw 4 does standing there. As the does saw me and started to run I tried to run with them for a bit until I saw Crabby and a little buck run 100 yards from me. Right as I was thinking it was over Crabby stopped for some reason and I shot, as the smoke cleared it looked like he was hit pretty hard. I stood there for a few minutes and couldn’t believe what just happened! My uncle Craig (Clyde) came over and we started tracking, we were finding good blood for awhile then we couldn’t any blood at all, so we winged it and walked a creek to see if he crossed it. We found we he crossed and he started bleeding again, we found him 60 yards from the creek. It feels good the end the season with my #1 target buck on the ground!

6538-000_0241.jpg

6538-000_0248.jpg

That neck still looks stocky and big. What a buck and cool for sticking with it!!!

Hard work and patience is always rewarded, some just later than others! Congrats, pretty buck :way:

Top Bottom