Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Team #8 Thread

Obsessed

Team 8 - rutnstrut, Jwest, Swintonator, Obsessed, and Soil

I got us on the board last night (10/27/17) with a BIG bodied mature landowner buck. I live on a little less than 12 acres that boarders Des Moines and 2 other cities. I haven't been annexed YET, but with all of the development around me, it won't be long. I hunt my 5 acres of Eastern hillside timber that bottoms out at a creek with the neighbors alfalfa pasture on the other side of the creek. Horse boarding to my North and cattle to my South. There are many deer in this area, but mostly does, yearlings and small bucks. When a mature buck presents its self, I don't mentally score it or even age it. I shoot it. Because it's probably the ONLY one I'm going to see here this season.

I was covered up with deer last night starting as soon as I got into my stand at 5. This guy came across my neighbors pasture toward me and started walking south, away from me, close to 6:20. I ranged him at 37 yards and shot. It was already a little dark, so I didn't see my arrow hit, but it felt like a good shot, I heard a good smack, and he stammered before taking off. I could tell I hit him good by the way he took off back across the pasture. He stumbled and tumbled in less than 100 yards, in the middle of the pasture. Easiest tracking and pickup job I've ever had.

Not sure on the score yet. He might break 140, but I'm not holding my breath.View media item 110393View media item 110392View media item 110391View media item 110390

My dang headlights stopped working in my truck, AGAIN, and I haven't had time to fix them, so I used my, (not my wife's), minivan again. I used it twice to haul deer last season. She'd kill me if I used hers. I don't wash the blood off of the bumper all season either. I get some funny looks, and I do my best crazy face back. I'm not a big 'decal' on cars type of guy, but I think I'm going to put a big buck decal in the back window of my 05 Town and Country - buck haulin patty wagon...

• Deleted by Jwest
Show…
Nice work! I have let a few arrows fly this fall - just not on a deer yet. 1 coyote and 1 turkey. Too bad they don't count towards our score. I will have to figure out how to post pictures if I get us some points. Vacation starts this Friday and goes until the 15th for me so hopefully have an encounter with a good buck.

Nice job man! Good looking deer! I somehow missed this thread all together until now but I'll be trying hard to put one down the next few weekends. I should be putting a tag on a doe for Team 8 as well but I usually wait until the rut is winding down before I punch that tag. Good luck to you all

Well I mistook this deer for a different 10 pointer that I was after, it happened really fast but I'm still very happy with him! Will most likely get us some points with a doe tag as well. Haven't put a tape to him yet.
23319165_10214644519048065_9160542892812270712_n.jpg

I can put the bow away for the season. Still have yet to score my buck but I'm guessing around 140. Here's 25 more points for team 8. Shot last night 13-November.
23472354_10214672402385131_7978800595404714137_n.jpg

Well guys I misjudged the range on about a 160" 8 pointer Sunday and skimmed his undercarriage. I don't think I even broke skin so he's doing good. I was hoping this deer showed up all season and within seconds it was all over haha. Came close to getting us some good points. Two more weekends, hopefully I can get one on the ground!

Well guys I misjudged the range on about a 160" 8 pointer Sunday and skimmed his undercarriage. I don't think I even broke skin so he's doing good. I was hoping this deer showed up all season and within seconds it was all over haha. Came close to getting us some good points. Two more weekends, hopefully I can get one on the ground!
That's a big 8 pointer!

Congrats Jwest! I should have a doe down this weekend at least.
As far as my miss I could definitely be wrong on that beings I'm not the best at scoring. I basically just googled 150 and 160 inch 8 pointer pictures and roughly guessed him by comparing. Biggest 8 I've ever seen in person. Whatever he scores I hope he shows up again! Also My dad bought that feeder and never even turned it on. Just sat it by our mineral lick inline with the camera to make people wonder if we bait deer or something ;)IMG_0829.JPG

Got my doe yesterday AM. I loath taking selfies and had already taken my bow in the house and changed my cloths, so this is the best I've got for a pic. Meat in the freezer and another car killer off of the roads.

Attachments

• 20171122_114056.jpg
    20171122_114056.jpg
    730.2 KB · Views: 15
My Landowners buck from October 27th scored 136 & 7/8" (pics in original post). Here's the breakdown.

Spread 18 - 3 /8

Right
G1 4 - 6 /8
G2 10 - 0 /8
G3 6 - 4 /8
C1 4 - 7 /8
C2 4 - 5 /8
C3 4 - 2 /8
C4 2 - 5 /8
Abnorm Pt 1 - 2 /8
Main Beam 20 - 0 /8
Side Total 58 - 7 /8

Left
G1 3 - 6 /8
G2 9 - 2 /8
G3 7 - 2 /8
C1 5 - 0 /8
C2 4 - 0 /8
C3 3 - 6 /8
C4 2 - 6 /8
Abnorm Pt 1 - 5 /8
Main Beam 22 - 2 /8
Side Total 59 - 5 /8

Total 136 - 7 /8

My alarm went off at 5:30 AM this morning, and I just couldn't force myself to get out of bed to go after more deer. Good luck to ALL and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Top Bottom