Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The buck that went 186 miles

Amazing what they'll do. I've read about a 1 1/2 year old years ago that was tagged and traveled 124 miles or so and set up his home range in another state. This book that I got in the 80's goes into great depth on whitetail deer movements and a lot of scientific information, maybe too much unless someone is taking a college course on wildlife management. It documents deer dispersals and much more. I'll have to dust it off again!
514vjKSqLuL.jpg

It's crazy he went that far because I rarely see new bucks show up on my farm during the rut. Once November gets here whatever bucks I have then, are the only ones I see or get on camera. Maybe late season a new guy shows up.

It's crazy he went that far because I rarely see new bucks show up on my farm during the rut. Once November gets here whatever bucks I have then, are the only ones I see or get on camera. Maybe late season a new guy shows up.
Has pretty much been my experience too. Although I will say that Nov 27, 28ish a lot of years I get a “new” buck or two that pass through and don’t typically stay around very long. I think that stretch right after most of the does have been bred and the bucks are looking for those last few is really good time to hunt and generally under rated.

I was a cooperative land owner in this study and got to know McRoberts and more closely the guy in charge of the northern Missouri part of the study. The traps and nets they used were pretty cool to watch. I have referenced the study a few times but one other valuable thing to me that came out of it was fawn mortality. I’d have to look back at the info but less than half the fawns survived to yearlings in my area and it wasn’t coyotes alone that were the culprit. One year it was under 30%! There was about a two week window that coyotes worked the fawns over bad and that was in the early summer after their lay up stage as they started to venture out with the does. As far as bucks in Missouri, it’s rare for them to survive the rifle season past 3.5 yo, EXTREMELY RARE!

I was a cooperative land owner in this study and got to know McRoberts and more closely the guy in charge of the northern Missouri part of the study. The traps and nets they used were pretty cool to watch. I have referenced the study a few times but one other valuable thing to me that came out of it was fawn mortality. I’d have to look back at the info but less than half the fawns survived to yearlings in my area and it wasn’t coyotes alone that were the culprit. One year it was under 30%! There was about a two week window that coyotes worked the fawns over bad and that was in the early summer after their lay up stage as they started to venture out with the does. As far as bucks in Missouri, it’s rare for them to survive the rifle season past 3.5 yo, EXTREMELY RARE!

Is there more to be published on this? I’ve been looking to see if they have a final report or any more updates to share on the telemetry study.

Fascinating stuff is right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there more to be published on this? I’ve been looking to see if they have a final report or any more updates to share on the telemetry study.

Fascinating stuff is right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They always told me that it would be published but all I ever got was bits and pieces through the main guy for the area. He was super cool to work with but had to watch what he told people so as to not to give information out that would assist in hunting a specific deer. He told me about the traveling buck and a couple does that traveled 20 miles. Ironically both of those does ended up dead at the end of their journeys. If anyone does find the study info published I’d like to read it.

Top Bottom