Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The dbltree challenge

I need to plant a bunch in my yard this year. Hard to believe but my yard has no trees in it and the house was built in 94. The prior owner must not have liked mowing around trees.

Any recommendations on a fast growing shade tree??? I am a tree idiot. Thanks in advance!

I need to plant a bunch in my yard this year. Hard to believe but my yard has no trees in it and the house was built in 94. The prior owner must not have liked mowing around trees.

Any recommendations on a fast growing shade tree??? I am a tree idiot. Thanks in advance!

One thing to keep in mind...oftentimes the fastest growing trees are also the first ones to break down and even die, years or even decades, ahead of some other choices. Usually there is a tradeoff to make, slow growing trees tend to last longer, fast growing trees tend to die off faster too, etc.

While I am not a big maple fan when it comes to my deer timber, I think they are a nice option in the yard. Red maples are relatively fast growing and sturdy and will give good shade and even nice colors in the fall.

Also, sycamores, or their close cousin London Planetree's, can be good options in a yard setting. If you like oaks...red oaks or pin oaks will grow faster than white oaks, although red oaks seem to be more susceptible to oak wilt. Lindens are good too.

Also, spruce and firs can fit in nicely in certain areas.

For me, I would stay away from willows, cottonwoods, elms, etc.

Love the challenge! We've got a project in plan for this spring/summer. We are planting some switchgrass we purchased on Paul's auction and also planting some trees we're starting from rootmakers this year. This area of the farm will be called "Knoxville". :D Hope to see many big bucks calling Knoxville home in the future!

Knoxville...Love it!

Dbletree's view from PA

I completed the Dbltree challenge on my place in SC Pennsylvania yesterday.

I planted 2 Northern Red Oaks (from MDC) on top of our ridge, overlooking the farms below.

Our good friend Dbltree has the view of all views, but I hope he enjoys his view from here if he decides to stop by...

Little late on this but a great idea…..I'll be planting something this spring and I'll try to get a double tree bought and hung in my dinning room like I've wanted for a long time!

Was out on my farm this week end I planted 25 apple and pear trees. (13) chestnuts around my food plots. I Learned everything from Paul's post and knowledge , actually everything I have done on my farm was from his posting's . A legacy is what you leave behind for other's We all should be so fortunate..

I did cages or tubes on about 60 trees on my own land. Dbltree be remembered all the time.

I’m helping a buddy put in a few thousand this weekend and though he only has Paul’s writings to see, he sure admires all he has done and continues to do. This next weekend a whole lot going in for the Dbltree challenge!

Dropped about 170 small cedars in last night, thought of the exact herbicide mix Paul would’ve recommend and I’ll spray around these in the next couple weeks. Oaks going in the ground tonight!

ef2f0d843306ec61d060c1581c5cbf06.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t wait to post an “update” on here :) !!!!!
Great job on above guys!!!!!!
Paul & I used to roll up those blue tubes for days. Props to u for sticking with those!! ;).

Paul & I used to roll up those blue tubes for days. Props to u for sticking with those!! ;).

Ya... bought about 1500 of those the same time Paul did. They're ok but I don't think I'd go with them again. Really the only down fall has been the assembly of them. Takes about a minute to zip tie one together... multiply that by a few hundred and it takes time... and finger tips start to get really worn out. Completely worth it!

Ya... bought about 1500 of those the same time Paul did. They're ok but I don't think I'd go with them again. Really the only down fall has been the assembly of them. Takes about a minute to zip tie one together... multiply that by a few hundred and it takes time... and finger tips start to get really worn out. Completely worth it!
Paul learned to hate those blue tubes. He would have a couple of hundred already assembled and in the back of his truck when I would make it up in the spring from Mississippi. Many popped open during the year and he would always put them back together....every stinking one of them! One year we secured them with duct/duck
tape, which usually failed after a year in the Iowa weather! We learned the hard way that securing them with Gorilla tape did the trick. I miss those days with him
driving his 25 horsepower John Deere, with me riding behind on the planter!
On a smaller scale I am still planting trees every year, and it's getting about that time!

Paul learned to hate those blue tubes. He would have a couple of hundred already assembled and in the back of his truck when I would make it up in the spring from Mississippi. Many popped open during the year and he would always put them back together....every stinking one of them! One year we secured them with duct/duck
tape, which usually failed after a year in the Iowa weather! We learned the hard way that securing them with Gorilla tape did the trick. I miss those days with him
driving his 25 horsepower John Deere, with me riding behind on the planter!
On a smaller scale I am still planting trees every year, and it's getting about that time!

I found them much more attractive by drilling holes in them to secure with zip ties like the rest of the tubes....while also getting a larger diameter tube out of the effort also.

Still in use today on my place from over 10 years ago, where some of the rest have become brittle and are falling apart.

I also have some around the farm. Some are still doing their job, although the trees have mostly outgrown them, or a few are scattered here and there. I’ve collected quite a few of the white stakes we used and they’re being put back in service.

I found them much more attractive by drilling holes in them to secure with zip ties like the rest of the tubes....while also getting a larger diameter tube out of the effort also.

Still in use today on my place from over 10 years ago, where some of the rest have become brittle and are falling apart.
I’m glad to see you’re still posting, Letemgrow.

Top Bottom