Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The "orange army"

it's really hilarious how people will get upset about the "orange army" but not about the fact there's both a youth and adult early muzzleloader season in October with weapons that can shoot over 500 yards (and the same people can do that in late December over food sources.) And the same people will say centerfire rifles should be restricted because they can shoot too far. Lotta people worrying about lotta things that do not affect them at tall.
People(myself included) get upset at the "orange army" because of the way the hunting is conducted. I do not and will never agree with deer drives, its not my thing, far too dangerous and frankly I dont like altering natural deer movement. I hate trespassing and although plenty of it happens during the other seasons FAR more happens on deer drives during shotgun season( my daddys buddy had permission on this piece 97 years ago so I can hunt here too). F'ing joke!
And your argument about the youth and early muzzy season in null and void. If I bought an early muzzy tag, my buddy cant shoot a deer and tag it with my tag. You have people out just blazing away and shooting animals that they never bought a tag for, but hey your buddy has one...this is one of the dumbest laws I have ever seen!!!!!
And yes I am one of the guys that has a muzzleloader that will shoot 500 yards, but its ONE shot, ONE! Not pushing deer and creating havoc in the woods. No trucks lined up along the road, hunters standing in ditches....

I understand that deer drives are an Iowa tradition, but I personally do not like them and think there are far better ways to take an animal.

Furthermore, the REALITY is hunting was never intended to grow trophy deer through land acquisition and patrol. The science behind it is to maintain healthy levels through conservation knowing that most folks don’t own enough land to manage their own deer or don’t own at all. Those who get upset need to remember why hunting exists to begin with, and it’s not to stock a personal trophy room. Most are happy to take a deer or two for conservation purposes, meat, and camaraderie. Let’s not stray too far from that.
Who are you to tell me what hunting is to me? Oh wait aren't you the guy all butt hurt that you bought land in Iowa knowing the laws but then cry because you cant hunt it every year(legally) even tho you knew that before you signed on the dotted line??????????

Hunting to one person might be completely different to another. I myself would much rather do habitat improvements over hunting anyday....So growing and holding "trophy" animals as you put it is what i get off on. May not be that way to others and thats fine but Ill be dammed if someone is going to tell me what hunting is supposed to be, get the **** outta here with that nonsense

Who are you to tell me what hunting is to me? Oh wait aren't you the guy all butt hurt that you bought land in Iowa knowing the laws but then cry because you cant hunt it every year(legally) even tho you knew that before you signed on the dotted line??????????

Hunting to one person might be completely different to another. I myself would much rather do habitat improvements over hunting anyday....So growing and holding "trophy" animals as you put it is what i get off on. May not be that way to others and thats fine but Ill be dammed if someone is going to tell me what hunting is supposed to be, get the **** outta here with that nonsense
Lighten up Francis. :p:p

TMayer,
Take a deep breath and remember that this is Iowa Whitetail, not Iowa Archery and Muzzleloader Whitetail. If that does not work reread you own words and ponder the hypocrisy.

"May not be that way to others and thats fine but Ill be dammed if someone is going to tell me what hunting is supposed to be, get the **** outta here with that nonsense"

I'm blessed to own my own land, enjoy habitat improvement and manage and hunt it for trophy bucks. Sounds very similar to you in this manner. I also gun hunt with a small group. None of which hunt archery season and none of which care much about antler size. They love venison and want to fill a freezer, usually with does. I think everyone on this site will agree unsafe and illegal activities are not okay, but as long as people are safe and legal then to each his own.

TMayer,
Take a deep breath and remember that this is Iowa Whitetail, not Iowa Archery and Muzzleloader Whitetail. If that does not work reread you own words and ponder the hypocrisy.

"May not be that way to others and thats fine but Ill be dammed if someone is going to tell me what hunting is supposed to be, get the **** outta here with that nonsense"

I'm blessed to own my own land, enjoy habitat improvement and manage and hunt it for trophy bucks. Sounds very similar to you in this manner. I also gun hunt with a small group. None of which hunt archery season and none of which care much about antler size. They love venison and want to fill a freezer, usually with does. I think everyone on this site will agree unsafe and illegal activities are not okay, but as long as people are safe and legal then to each his own.
I fully understand what the site is called. And frankly i do not care what seasons people hunt. I have always said that as long as its legal, then by all means go for it. But that does not mean that I agree with certain methods. I have had run ins in the past which makes me sour to certain methods of hunting. I also know several hunting groups that are not dirty violators and "do it right" and once although I do not agree with their method of hunting I wish them luck and hope they are all successful.

As I mentioned hunting to me may not be what it is to others. As you mentioned some fellas in your group could care a less about the antler size. Now this is something that once again I can not agree with but they bought the tag and are within their right to take any legal animal that they choose. I do not condemn those folks because that is what hunting is to them and that is fine.

Where I got a little heated was where someone telling someone else what hunting should be to them, I simply said what hunting is to me and that is all.

With all this being said I will be hunting this weekend, in fact it will be my first time ever hunting the Iowa shotgun seasons and to be honest I am pretty excited about it. I hope every single person reading this and taking part in the hunting seasons to come is successful.

T. Very intelligent response.
Am I sensing a bit of sarcasm here or do you actually think what I said was intelligent?
:cool:
No one is telling you how to define hunting. My post was an overview of why hunting seasons exist, and it’s not trophy oriented. The wildlife biologists who set bag limits and seasons don’t consider trophy hunting one moment. That’s all.

Last edited:
Reactions: OMB
  • Deleted by Wapsi Tree Rat
Show…
Even though I'm a "self proclaimed" bowhunting trophy hunter, I'm happy to see ANYONE out hunting and having fun!
We all need to band together guys!

Even though I'm a "self proclaimed" bowhunting trophy hunter, I'm happy to see ANYONE out hunting and having fun!
We all need to band together guys!

Band together? If there was an agreement to not add any more seasons, any more methods of take, I might join into that movement.

Seems a certain segment will not be happy until any firearm is legal in Iowa.

I’m good with others enjoying hunting, just stay on your side of the fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Band together? If there was an agreement to not add any more seasons, any more methods of take, I might join into that movement.

Seems a certain segment will not be happy until any firearm is legal in Iowa.

I’m good with others enjoying hunting, just stay on your side of the fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So how many more days do "you" need to fulfill your bow season?

Top Bottom