Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

These kinda things keep me going

Bucksnbears

I grew up being a greedy bastard. Still was untill about 15years ago.
That all kinda changed when a landowners 13 year old daughter wanted to try for a bear. I was pissed thinking "how dare they" ask me to take her.
Well, it was a superb bait and I didn't wanna loose that spot so I guess I (had to agree).
Opening eve, I sat with her (kinda fuming) as I spent alot of time n $ setting that bait up for ME.
A bear came in,she made a great shot and we had it hanging before dark.
That was a HUGE pivotal moment to me. I was actually GLAD for her!
My mind really switched THAT DAY and have since basically spent from that day forwards helping MANY others fulfill their dreams being a bear,deer,coyote.
I do feel great that I'm not the gready asshole I was for years.

Attachments

• 20220402_201212.jpg
    20220402_201212.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 92
Sometimes in life our eyes and hearts are opened in unexpected ways that change our lives for the better and forever! That's one heck of a bear you got that young lady, she will remember you and that experience the rest of her life. Well done.

Living is a process similar for most of us. Some however, never do turn the corner, but I think most do. I think many of us were the same way when we were young and somewhere along the way through adulthood, it changes. Some experience the change like a light switch, and some change gradually over the years.

Being 'on the other side' of ME, does feel better for sure.

Congrats on your journey.

This is growth of a hunter to a T. Love it. Learning to be selfless & getting enjoyment from the enjoyment of others!!
I think this is very common with many hunters …. I would say I was the same way in my 20’s. Now, at 43…. I’d rather see others be successful over myself.
I can relate to your story & I think many others can or will too.
Great post & message for hunters of all walks of life!

I really like this one, and can relate. I'm also one to grumble when I have a list of stuff to do at my place, but reluctantly spend a weekend helping out people who are really in need, only to find I'm happier on Monday than I would have been if I'd worked on my stuff.

I have been there as well and sometimes I still have to fight that feeling when it comes to public land, but God quickly helps me remember that I am not the only hunter in the woods and I am to love my neighbor as myself!

I grew up being a greedy bastard. Still was untill about 15years ago.
That all kinda changed when a landowners 13 year old daughter wanted to try for a bear. I was pissed thinking "how dare they" ask me to take her.
Well, it was a superb bait and I didn't wanna loose that spot so I guess I (had to agree).
Opening eve, I sat with her (kinda fuming) as I spent alot of time n $ setting that bait up for ME.
A bear came in,she made a great shot and we had it hanging before dark.
That was a HUGE pivotal moment to me. I was actually GLAD for her!
My mind really switched THAT DAY and have since basically spent from that day forwards helping MANY others fulfill their dreams being a bear,deer,coyote.
I do feel great that I'm not the gready asshole I was for years.
It does not matter when we see the light, only that we see it! Congrats. Giving is the best gift i could ever receive.

As for me, I still am a greedy old fart. I LOVE it when my kid scores! It means he'll bring home good things to eat while I got a little extra sleep! ;)

I'm not to that point yet. Lol.
Still love shooting stuff (alot) but am real happy helping others also.

I'm 57 and no way I'm sleeping in unless the weather is bad.

Top Bottom