Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thinking of you guys!!!

Went down to a few customers to unhook some electrical. Brand new grain bin set ups gone. The wind tipped over his 4x4 Backhoe and moved it 30 yards. Our customers neighbor was in the machine shed working under a semi. All of a sudden the shed was gone and the semi almost got blown over and was rocking with him under it.

I talked to my cousin last night and he was in Grinnell when the storm hit.
He said it was so bad he called his wife and said this could be it for him. He was in his truck and said roofs and tree limbs were blowing over his truck. Very fortunate no lives were lost.

Scott how did you fair? Any damage?

Ok good deal, Oskaloosa was spared for the most part. Power was out for a while and a bunch of limbs down, but pretty lucky actually. Just sent my Generator with a friend that lives by Maxwell, he was not so lucky. No power still.

Still no power for me in Johnston. But, damage was limited to a few trees. Very lucky as helped a buddy whose son's house took a direct hit from a huge limb cutting through the roof. The limb was resting on the wall in front and back - so basically opened up the attic. This was just southwest of Merle Hay mall. He has owned the house 3 months.

Was in Cr working all this week just off 380 and Collins road. Had the Dewalt radio on and had warnings for Tama , etc for 50- 60 mph winds and severe thunderstorm warnings. All stations lost service and no cell warnings at all. Only warning was the looking black sky. The damage between CR and Marion is unreal. I don't think there is a tree not snapped or blown over.

I spent the past 2 days cutting trees for friends. I havent drove up to CR yet, I really dont know if I can stomach it. Went for a drive around my area here in Coralville and cannot fathom the damage here, let alone the pics I'm seeing just north of us.

So ya'll riddle me this. How do we lose 10M acres and corn goes up .05? I gotta hope the markets haven't reacted yet.

Talked to a guy that follows the corn market daily, he said watch for report early next week, assessing the damage. I bet it starts to jump.

I live on the NE side of Cedar Rapids. We have about 20 acres of city owned timber behind our house. I’m scared to walk back there. So many big old white oaks just snapped in half. We were lucky and just had minor damage. Neighbors and friends weren’t so lucky. Some houses will need totally rebuilt. They’re saying we might have power midnight Tuesday. Did see some turkeys walking around in the yards yesterday. Haven’t seen a deer since the storm hit. Stay safe everybody that’s working on clean up. Lots of big limbs just hanging everywhere.

Southern Boone County. It's a mess. Wonder how the deer live thru it....can hardly walk thru the woods with all the down trees. Suspect we will need to move a lot of stands, at least the ones not crushed. Should be interesting this fall.
Won't need to do any hinge cutting for a long time!
Eastern SD, western IA and MO caught one of these in 2011, main difference was LOTS of pea sized haul coming down at 90+mph, crops not only blown down but hailed to the ground on 8/18! Wildlife took a hit, birds dead everywhere that year from hail!

So ya'll riddle me this. How do we lose 10M acres and corn goes up .05? I gotta hope the markets haven't reacted yet.
My guess is there is not 10 million acres that have zero production. Some of the area affected by this derecho were already having yield decreases from the drought. It seems tough for the market to move much on a weather issue this time of year, especially in the economy we are in.

Cedar Rapids/Marion/Hiawatha were absolutely slammed with this storm. I'm also hearing the Shellsburg area was impacted dramatically as well. I live on the SW side of Cedar Rapids and I have never experienced a storm like that in my life, albeit only 37 years :). I've seen 2 tornadoes in my life and this storm more scared me way worse than those did. Weather Service is estimating peak wind gust of near 140 MPH for the SW side where the Westdale Apartments were obliterated. The magnitude of devastation to the tree canopy is unreal. Anyone out hunting this year please be careful and look above you. There will be "widow makers" all over the place. Plus side perhaps - there will be plenty of cover to make ground blinds with...

I echo what jmarshall said above. I've been in close proximity of a few tornadoes and THIS was much worse. It blew solid for between 30 to 40 minutes and we easily had 100+ MPH winds. This storm had me spooked. I though my roof was coming off for sure. Trees were snapping and popping all over the place. When it was all done, I had several mature trees downed or topped. One of the downed trees took out my electric feed from the street. Jerked it right out of the transformer. We were without power for 5.5 days. Working from home isn't too fun to begin with. Working out of coffee shops and churches, on a single little laptop, to take advantage of their electric and wifi is even worse. Researching solar panel systems and standby generators this week. Pretty sure we'll have a complete system installed and operational before the end of the year. What a storm.

Top Bottom