Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

This is in the legislative forum.

ironwood

We better be paying attention. Please start calling first thing in the morning

Tomorrow, Thur March 14 the HNRC will meet to discuss the NR deer tags and the NR landowner issue in regards to the any sex deer tag. There are some new committee members that feel it is in the best interest of Iowans to bring these issues to the fore ground. My guess is they will be asking for more NR tags. For some reason this committee is more interested in the money issue than taking care of the natural resource. Some say there are still too many deer, some think the NR landowner should be able to hunt every year. Bottom line is this committee needs to hear from the hunting community in a big way and ASAP. Please contact your legislators especially if they are on HNRC.

I do have a some people to key on.

Rep Dean Fisher (District 72) in the Tama area.
He believes we have too many deer. (IBA members would love to help him control his problem areas)

Rep Patti Ruff (District 56) in Waukon, Lansing area
She has been hearing from a Minnesota resident complaining that he can't hunt his Ia. land every year.

Rep Rob Bacon (District 48) the Boone, Webster City area
He sponsored the crossbow legislation. He told our lobbyist that he would amended to just hunt the late ML season. We asked that his language drop the words crossbow license and just make it an acceptable weapon in the late ML season, he has not done this. I'm still waiting to hear from rest of board, so far no one likes the language. Personally I say oppose this legislation very strongly.
We need phone calls made and emails sent.

<LI style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl01_liMember>Henry V. Rayhons (R, District 8), Chair <LI style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl02_liMember>Dean Fisher (R, District 72), Vice Chair <LI style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl03_liMember>Curtis Hanson (D, District 82), Ranking Member <LI id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl04_liMember>Rob Bacon (R, District 48) <LI id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl05_liMember>Clel Baudler (R, District 20) <LI id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl06_liMember>Joshua Byrnes (R, District 51) <LI id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl07_liMember>Cecil Dolecheck (R, District 24) <LI id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl08_liMember>Chris Hall (D, District 13) <LI id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl09_liMember>Jake Highfill (R, District 39) <LI id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl10_liMember>Daniel A. Huseman (R, District 3) <LI id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl11_liMember>Daniel Lundby (D, District 68) <LI id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl12_liMember>Jim Lykam (D, District 89) <LI id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl13_liMember>Dave Maxwell (R, District 76) <LI id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl14_liMember>Helen Miller (D, District 9) <LI id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl15_liMember>Scott Ourth (D, District 26) <LI id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl16_liMember>Patti Ruff (D, District 56) <LI id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl17_liMember>Sandy Salmon (R, District 63) <LI id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl18_liMember>Tom Shaw (R, District 10) <LI id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl19_liMember>Jeff Smith (R, District 1) <LI id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl20_liMember>Phyllis Thede (D, District 93) <LI id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl21_liMember>Roger Thomas (D, District 55) <LI id=ecxctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl21_liMember>

It's exactly what I posted in my thread. Money and politics are the trump cards in this decision.

Notice I didn't delete any of my posts either. Those ideas are still there for people to use when figuring out how to defend their stance. Like some people said I do not have a dog in the fight, but that doesn't mean my ideas were driven by ill will.

I can say that I think the argument against this of higher land prices actually is hurting you.

Higher land prices helps the economy way more than cheaper prices. The sale is happening no matter what the price so the more money exchanging hands the better from a tax and revenue standpoint.

Btw for anyone who calls or emails make sure your tone comes across as trying to help as opposed to anger. Those people you are speaking with are much more apt to listen if they feel you are a helping hand as opposed to a hammer.

Its time for Iowa's sportsman to make sure our voice is heard. It's easy to say everything will work out and not be proactive. However it's that kind of attitude that will cause the downfall of Iowa's great whitetail hunting when some sort of detrimental legislation is passed. All because our legislators didn't hear from us. Let them know what your stance is and as already stated be POLITE. It only takes a few minutes to let your opinion be known.

Patti Ruff is my aunt. I talked to her before and after the nat resources meeting today. There is no talk of raising the nr any sex quota. If there was she also told me she would not vote for it.

Regardless, I feel like if you want to purchase Iowa land then support the state by moving here. If you don't take up physical residence then keep the draw policy as it is. Every school district in a rural area would LOVE to have your family in the town. Any new service or business in the towns would be greatly appreciated.

If people aren't willing to live here I want to see Iowans continue to purchase and own the land ALA the small farmers or future farmers. Tough business for anyone trying to get a foothold who doesn't already have a family connection.

Regardless, I feel like if you want to purchase Iowa land then support the state by moving here. If you don't take up physical residence then keep the draw policy as it is. Every school district in a rural area would LOVE to have your family in the town. Any new service or business in the towns would be greatly appreciated.

If people aren't willing to live here I want to see Iowans continue to purchase and own the land ALA the small farmers or future farmers. Tough business for anyone trying to get a foothold who doesn't already have a family connection.

Great Post man. :way:

I dont have any problems with NR. In fact i just recently got to know a neighboring NR and he's a great guy but with that being said this is very well put.

I have nothing against NRs. I would love to see them come and compete for ground in my area. Last week they sold one at 18025 an acre, but of course there will be no trees left on the farm. This stuff is getting ridiculous. We need 3 dollar corn.

3 dollar corn will not happen for quite sometime. Even with 3 dollar corn, land prices will not slide down very quick. I'm afraid the high's are here for awhile. Way to much demand for corn globally, ethanol use's way to much, and still have to feed livestock. The only thing that will drop corn prices dramatically is if these barges from Brazil do happen to show up, and the entire US has a banner crop year.

Great Post :way:

Sky, does every Iowan support Iowa financially? Meaning does every resident pay income tax, property tax, sales tax? I'm certain, as in every state, some residents are unfortunately unable to work or won't work and support Iowa businesses on everyone's tax dollars in the form of state/federal support. If I moved to Iowa what would change for you? I will still pay property tax, a water bill, an electric bill, a mortgage to an Iowa bank,as I do presently, and pay more sales tax due to living there. I would still only allow, as I do now, my resident neighbor to hunt and trap my property. It's the same argument every year with no change occurring if us NR landowners moved to the state. I contribute financially to the state and provide access to an Iowa resident, acts some residents aren't willing, can't, or don't do. Also, "you knew the rules" argument is not valid either. Since I bought in Iowa I can no longer purchase an archery doe tag and the cost of a tag more than doubled. I guess rule changes are ok just so they benefit the resident?

Last edited:
All I want to say is these people that are buying ground for 18000 an acre like you say are still going to be the ones buying ground if it goes down. They have lots of old money behind them and I'm guessing a majority of it wasn't made the last two years. So you can wish for 3 dollar corn but my guess is if someone wants the ground they will get it bought regardless.

Sky, does every Iowan support Iowa financially? Meaning does every resident pay income tax, property tax, sales tax? I'm certain, as in every state, some residents are unfortunately unable to work or won't work and support Iowa businesses on everyone's tax dollars in the form of state/federal support. If I moved to Iowa what would change for you? I will still pay property tax, a water bill, an electric bill, a mortgage to an Iowa bank,as I do presently, and pay more sales tax due to living there. I would still only allow, as I do now, my resident neighbor to hunt and trap my property. It's the same argument every year with no change occurring if us NR landowners moved to the state. I contribute financially to the state and provide access to an Iowa resident, acts some residents aren't willing, can't, or don't do. Also, "you know the rules" argument is not valid either. Since I bought in Iowa I can no longer purchase an archery doe tag and the cost of a tag more than doubled. I guess rule changes are ok just so they benefit the resident?

Jdubs,

NR landowners do not contribute to Iowa as much as the resident landowners.

Yes they may pay some taxes on their land which isn't much and have a mortgage for their land just like the resident land owners possiblty through an Iowa bank.

What Non residents fail to forget is the other things that the resident landowners do for the economy supporting our state such as buying the groceries, buying gas, eating at our local restaurants, buying from our local stores,attending our local sports events and others to name a few.

One big one is paying our state sales tax which helps our state.

Their should be a perk for supporting our economy year round and it is by letting us have one free any sex tag..

Yes it does suck that the licenses are what they are for a NR. I just bought a point and a license for an Arizona tag at $151.00 that I may never use. Why? Because I want to hunt somewhere where I have a great chance to shoot a nice bull and that is their rule.

I bet your are a great guy Jdubs but unfortunately we have a great thing going here so why not leave it like it is??

Risto2351

First off, you don't know what your talking about.

The taxes on land for residents and non-residents landowners is exactly the SAME!

Also, I bet my family and I spend just as much as you do or more on groceries, gas, and food. We always support our local town.

Don't go telling me the just because your a resident you should get special privlages.

My family and I have been hunting, fishing and trapping in Iowa for the past 15 years before Iowa was even on the radar for a prime whitetail spot.

This is the Unites States of America. It's a free country! Your telling me a family who makes a big investment in purchasing land can't even hunt it? Your telling me that constitutional?
C'mon? If your think that's right? C'mon man.

I was born and raised in Iowa but I had to move with my job. Now I can't even come back to my home state and hunt deer that I had for 10 years? It's unreal and it's most of you residents who thinks there superior to everyone else that won't let non resident landowner hunt there own LAND!

You put blood, sweat and tears into your land and you can't even enjoy your hard work?
That's not right and everyone of you know it.

Top Bottom