Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thistles in new switchgrass stand

Daver

PMA Member
I replanted all of my CRP last year into primarily a switchgrass stand. But this year I am seeing areas of too much thistle. I think I should spray and/or mow to control the thistle, but don't want to hurt the new switch either. What do you guys recommend in this case?

We spent three years getting rid of all the thistles in our farm and then we had to redo all the crp and now they are everywhere unfortunately. We give up.

U know which type of thistle? Bull, Canadian and musk thistle r nasty & those are usually earlier in season. Tall thistle is out right now & those are native to Iowa. Those personally don’t bother me. The other 3 get hammered early in year before they develop flowers. Takes a few years with herbicides & making sure no seeds formed and gets much easier over time. Still need to stay on them.
http://iowaplants.com/flora/family/Asteraceae/cirsium/Cirsium_spp.html

I like my switch I established several years ago, but it sure did unleash a fury of canadien thistles and poison hemlock. I think next year I'm going to get busy with Milestone or something.

The flower, some of which are now blooming, is a golf ball sized purple flower. The thistle plants are about 4' - 5' tall. Should I mow now? Spray now?

Top Bottom