Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thor Bullets Review

bowman

Super Moderator
Let me first say that Thor is not a sponsor of IW and I didn't receive any kind of discount for this write up. I just wanted to let everyone on IW of my experience with Thor Bullets and their customer service.

My daughter drew a Colorado muzzleloader elk tag for this fall. This began the search for a full bore bullet as sabots are not allowed in Colorado. I had had some not so great experiences with Powerbelts so I wanted to go in a different direction. I read about Thor bullets on several western hunt forums. I learned that they are made by Barnes for Thor and those that had used them were impressed with performance and expansion.

1040-thor.jpg

I contacted the company and received a free sizing sample pack a few days later. The pack came with 4 bullets measuring .500, .501, .502, and .503. The goal is to have 10-30lbs pressure to load the bullet, just enough to put rifling groves in the bullet.

1040-thor_2.jpg

Now was the decision on what muzzy we would use. My old Knight Disc has been tried and true but is scoped and scopes aren't allowed on muzzys in Colorado. My son had just bought a CVA Wolf and hadn't got his scope sighted in yet. He was nice enough to offer for his sister to use his gun even though it overlapped his last youth season. I could tell he was a bit dissappointed.

So we sized the bullets and found that the .500 was the propper fit. I called Thor and a woman answered the phone. I could tell that they were a small business. I told her what I wanted and she advised that she would take my name, address, and phone number and have her husband call me the next day as they had been waiting a while for a shipment from Barnes and she didn't know when they would be in. The next day I received a voicemail from Terry stating that the shipment had come in and he would size them and mail them out that day. I was excited.....and then realized that I had not provided my credit card number or established any sort of payment with them. I called Thor and the same woman answered. I told her that I had not yet paid and she said, "Nope, that is the way Terry conducts business. He will send you the bullets. If you are satisfied with them you can send payment. If not, mail them back." Wow! I couldn't believe it! That kind of service is unheard of in this day and age. So I received the bullets 2 days later and they looked great.

This is where it gets even better. My cousin heard that my son was sacrificing his new muzzy and he offered up his brand new, never shot, CVA Optima. I could see the excitement in my son's eyes....he really wanted to use his new gun. So my cousin brought the gun over and we tried out the sizing samples. Just my luck, the .500 loaded way too easily and the .501 was perfect. Problem was, I had 50 of the .500 bullets.

So again I called Thor. It was a Saturday and I got their answering machine. I explained my situation and asked if I shipped them back and paid for shipping on the .501s, would they consider an exchange. The next afternoon (Sunday) I received a call from Terry advising that was no problem and he would ship them the next day without even waiting to receive the bullets I was sending back! I was very impressed, again, at their customer service.

I received the new bullets 2 days later. I endured the extreme heat to go shoot. I started at 30 yards with a rear peep / front cross hair sight system. The first two shots were tight but to the right. With no adjustment of the sights I backed to 50 yards and hit just above the first two. I made an adjustment to the back sight for the 4th shot but moved way to far and the shot hit left. One last move and the 5th shot hit the bulls-eye. The heat got the best of me and I ended it there for the day. 100 grains of Tripple 7 and the 300 grain Thor proved to be a consistent combination.

1040-thor_3.jpg

I still have some fine tuning to do and then will hopefully have a daughter field test Thor Bullets performance on an elk, but as of right now I am very pleased with the decision to buy Thor and will likely be changing my whitetail rig to Thor as well.

So, if you are looking for a full bore muzzleloader bullet, I would definitely recommend Thor! https://www.thorbullets.com/

Last edited:
Have been dealing with Terry and his wife for a few years now, They are a great group to work with, They sell out of bullets real fast, and I mean fast, If you have a couple of loose fitting bullets, I use a small sized socket to enlarge the base just a little, then feed it down the barrel nose first, and push it all the way thru, This has worked for me.

Top Bottom