Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thoughts?

rc10pt

Also posted this in bdahms "from the stand" thread.

Put an arrow in an 8pt at 4:30. He ducked my shot so it hit a bit high but still looked to be maybe 2-3 inches behind shoulder. Found 1/2 of my arrow which had 3-4inches of blood on it as well. The deer bolted fast right after the shot and ran right into a fence then ran 40yds straight north of my stand, stood for a min or 2 then bedded. At 5:05 2 doe walked right up to him and spooked him out of his bed where I saw him run north out of site. I got down, found the 1/2 arrow and absolutely no blood until I reached his bed. I walked 50ft or so more and saw that every 15-20 feet or so there was blood spots a little bigger than softball size and smaller blood drops in between those larger ones. I marked the trail and backed out. The blood seemed very thick and darker red. Do you think it's a fatal hit? I assume the other half arrow is still lodged in him with the broad head. I can only assume I hit some muscle judging by the blood but will track in the am. Any thoughts appreciated! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

How far of a shot? Enough angle on the arrow may have caught vitals on other side? Dark red blood usually isn't good but sounds as if there is quite a bit of it...he wanted to bed down is another good thing. Temps will be in your favor as well. Looking forward to a post in the harvest thread tomorrow! Good luck!

As cold as it is, I would def wait for first light. Let him bed down and stiffin up. Sounds like he is loosing a good amount of blood.

Good luck with the recovery

Good luck in the AM. Hopefully the BH will keep working if he keeps moving. Sounds like he is hurt bd and should lay down somewhere close.

22yd shot, With slick trick broad head from an enclosed stand 15' up. He was on a very, very slow walk so I didn't bother trying to stop him vocally. But he was apparently alert to drop like he did. I think it hit just under the spine straight up from 2 inches or so from the back of the shoulder blade and drove down toward the mid-bottom of his opposite shoulder blade. I actually think the arrow broke off when he slammed into the fence Which may be why I didn't find blood for the first 40 as the entry hole was more on top, then once he started running the bh started to tear crap up....just a thought. He's no stud, pretty much at the ears or just outside,but I'll still be happy with him. Sent from my iPhone using IW

Last edited:
Correction.....it's 22yds to the fence he hit so I prolly shot him at more like 15-18yds

Yes wait till the morning time is on your side. Keep us posted and best of luck in the morning!

Sound like a dead deer to me. If there is no exit hole from that angle you may not have much of a blood trail to fallow. If you cought the top of the lungs he will not go far.

What are your thoughts on deer jumping the string more from someone shooting from a blind compared to a tree? I assume that it's louder with the echo of the shot. Never really thought about it until this year when my brother shot over a booner and I also shot a deer high because it ducked the string.

Good luck finding it! Hope to see pics soon

Yeah there is no way I woulda hit him from the ground. My arrow path woulda been too flat and as much as he ducked I woulda shot over him.

If he's not dead in his bed... he is likely alive.........

Sounds like you shot him to high and through the loins to me...

My brother shot one there and I tracked him all the way until I found him alive 1.5 miles away. He ended up getting killed a month later in late muzzleloader all healed up by my brother.......

I shoot from the ground sometimes. My bow is fast,,but also somewhat loud. Haven't had much duck yet. I believe depends on ho much deer are hunted. They learn. This was more of a problem in the state I moved from. 400,000 bow hunters there, to educate,,the deer. Off subject from finding your deer,Sorry,,Good Luck!

Every time I've hit one high (either my bad shot or deer dropped at shot) it has always been even higher than I thought. There is a lot of "non-fatal" area above the spine that far forward. If you caught even one lung with a broadhead, he's dead within a quarter mile +/-. Good luck with your search, but I'm not real optimistic.

Hit one high like that 4 years ago and tracked for over a mile before giving up. Circled the area for the next two days with nothing to show, have no idea what happened to him unfortunately. Be persistent and best of luck, I hate the feeling of not knowing...

The fact he bedded down that fast is a real good sign too me. I'd feel good about finding him especially after the doe bumped him cause if he did start to clot him running would up his pressure and hopefully keep the wound channel open even longer.

he bedded down that quick you got into something vital a muscle/loin hit deer wont lay down like that. Good luck hope to see some harvest pics. Dead deer in my mind.

Unfortunately my 5 hr track/search came up empty today. We had good blood for another 200-300 yds after where I marked the bed the night before. Then the blood turned to drops. I was then tracking a single drop of blood every 10-20 feet for the next couple hrs. Until I ran out of blood Completely, Never did find another bed. Did also check the 2 adjoining roadside ditches to see if he tried to cross and head for the river (1/2 mile away) and came up empty there as well. Did talk with the adjoining land owner who will be keeping an eye out during these later seasons and will call if something turns up.

Top Bottom