Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tips and tricks for coyote hunting.

bowtech150

Backstrap Assassin
Been out at least a dozen times now in areas where there are good populations of coyotes. I think I am in need of some insight on some things everyone uses to get these pesky creatures into range. Kinds of calls you use this time of year and other times, setups etc.... Anybody got anything.. you would be saving fawns by helping me.

Well, this time of year is prime mating season so a good lone female howl should work well. If you don't have any action after awhile then you can mix in a male howl after your female howl and another challenge call after that. Pup yelps and the sounds of a wounded or fighting 'yotes can also be used. In many ways, it is like fishing in my opinion you keep throwing something at them hoping they "bite".

If you aren't howling, in my opinion you are missing out on a lot of song dogs. I use to rely too heavily on distress calls with lots and lots of empty sits. After sitting down and talking with a guy the biggest point he made with me especially in the midwest or any area with abundant food is distress calls don't work when the coyotes don't have to move much to find food. With loads of deer, rodents, turkeys, upland birds (very few), and rabbits- coyotes aren't always hurting for their next meal or "urgent" to run to a distress call.

Wait til next week and hunt all night. From my experience day calling is a crap shoot. Last winter I was having terrible luck. Probably made a dozen sets and one morning called a pair in. Told a buddy we were gonna hit it hard on the full moon in Feb. and called in like 10 dogs in 2 days. All were with coyote vocals.

Top Bottom