Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tips for mounting your bird

muddy

Durk Sterner (stuffy) out of Lone Tree sent me some tips on caring for your turkey if/when you decide to get him mounted. After seeing some of his award winning gobbler mounts, I'd take these tips to the bank! Thanks Durk!

As I write this, the wind is blowing, there is snow on the ground, and its minus two degree's. The only way to warm up, is to, "Think Spring, and Turkey Season !!" Yes, hard to believe,the season is within two months. A big Ol' Tom, gobbling and getting closer, and a few mosquito's buzzing around your eyes,is going to be a welcomed site here shortly.

Now,lets just say, that vision you just had in your head is now a reality and that big tom is now within range. Suddenly that mosquito on your forehead is easily ignored while you line up your sights on the gobbler. With the quick release of an arrow, or the thundering report of your shotgun, the bird is on the ground and you have just taken a nice tom. Admiration,high fives, and photo's are all done, and maybe you're thinking, "This sure would make a nice mount".

Hopefully these tips, will lead you in the right direction.

Do not step on the bird's head.

Do not wring the bird's neck.

Pick up any feathers on the ground.

Carry the bird carefully, by the feet.

Keep the bird out of direct sunlight.

Keep the bird clean and dry.

It is important that the bird cool down as soon as possible.

Once the bird has cooled down, place in a cotton or mesh bag, (ex.pillow case)

Try to get the bird to your taxidermist the same day.

If you cannot get to your taxidermist, place the bird in two plastic bags, remove air, keep tail feathers straight, seal tight and freeze.

If it is a very warm day, it is important to get the bird to the taxidermist,refrigerator,or freezer as soon as possible.

Do not put into a plastic bag, and keep in your vehicle,for a long period of time.

Any questions, just call your taxidermist.

You may think that there are not a lot of ways to display a turkey, but let me tell you that the only thing limiting your turkey mount is your imagination! A lot of mounts can be done on a tree limb, some can be made into full strut floor bases, or you can have a bird locked in a flying pose! Whatever pose you go with I do recommend that you look into having the turkey head freeze dried. You can have an artificial head, but once you compare the looks of those to a freeze dried head you will quickly change your mind.

Hopefully these tips will guide you along to keeping that memory alive, and looking good, and remember, "Think Spring"

Any thing said about using Gobbler Guillotines?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Any thing said about using Gobbler Guillotines?

[/ QUOTE ]

You will probably need to go with the artificial head on that one
grin.gif

Thanks for the tips Muddy
waytogo.gif

If you use the GG then make sure you shoot them EXACTLY at the point where the feathers start!
grin.gif

If your going to be freezing the bird for awhile you will want to tuck the head back under the wing to prevent freezer burn, i also agree with the freeze dried head, a little more expensive but well worth it

I've heard of people using a stuffed tom turkey as a decoy. Does this work as well as they say or would a bought tom decoy work just as well? On the clip i seen on TV the tom's just came a running when they seen that old stuffed tom in full strut!!!

Wow, I think i'm going to have to invest in that one. That's impressive!!!
laugh.gif
4th year turkey huning this year, time to finally pull the trigger!

The combination of the Double bull blind, Pretty boy decoys, and white guy with bow in hand. Deadly. Pretty boy well worth the jack. Witnessed the death of 5 toms last year to the pretty boy.

It works out well for me since my birthday is the end of March, i just ask for whatever i need for turkey hunting, got my blind 2 years ago, now i'll just ask for the Pretty Boy!!!

I have seen clips of the pretty boy and it looked as if it worked great. I bought it last year and could not get a bird to come in. They would come in to about 50 yards see it, turn and head the other direction. Happened atleast 3 times. Went back to the old decoys and the birds finished like planned. I wont be using mine anymore.

[ QUOTE ]
I have seen clips of the pretty boy and it looked as if it worked great. I bought it last year and could not get a bird to come in. They would come in to about 50 yards see it, turn and head the other direction. Happened atleast 3 times. Went back to the old decoys and the birds finished like planned. I wont be using mine anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna sell it??
smirk.gif

I would love to but the people I hunt with want to keep it because they havent been able to use it, so I guess I'm going to hang on to it. If I am looking to sell it I will keep you in mind.

Season is nearly there, here are some more great tips on getting a bird ready for the taxidermist from world champion Cally Morris's web site... with pictures, which help a lot.

Hazel Creek Taxidermy

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom