Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tractors

eiowaarcher

What are you guys using for your tractors? How many hp? Front wheel assist? Looking to get one to move snow and use small disc, cultipacker, sprayer. Wondering what a good size is.

I have John Deer 30Hp works great its older though , I tell ya IMO the new kabota 33HP are nice and great price... IF I was to purchase a new one that's what I would get.. New Tractor are expensive though..

Thanks

Buy the biggest you can afford, no such thing as to big. Front wheel assist is worth its weight in gold. I have a 75hp and wish it was bigger.

What Scott said^^^^ I have a JD 5310, 60 something hp, I bought new in 2000. Enough to move round bales, slowly, and do about anything I need.

I have John Deer 30Hp works great its older though , I tell ya IMO the new kabota 33HP are nice and great price... IF I was to purchase a new one that's what I would get.. New Tractor are expensive though..

Thanks

Some day guys! I'm 30 years old and my tractor is still student loans!

Ha! Mine is an overworked Kawasaki mule 3010 diesel with homemade
Implements! Someday is right!

I know how that goes. Luckily I am friends with a few farmers in the area and any time I need something big done I can usually line one up. Still want my own stuff one day.

I won't get into size but for the most basic landowner doing the smallest jobs- I would never ever consider one without mfwd & a loader. 2 requirements that are "must haves" for anyone I know doing any kind of land stuff in Iowa. Some get by without it (just like a 2wd pickup) but 2 must haves imo.

Just bought a L3901 Kubota, loader, 6ft disc, 5ft brushhog, and the quick attach. Absolutely love it so far. Very reasonably priced. As the rest have said, buy as big as you can afford and definitely get a loader and 4wd.

Look for an case ih MX 100. Made them from 98-02 or something like that. 5.9 Cummins can be set below 100 hp up to around 140hp. You see them for 18-30k depending on hours. We have over 12,000 hrs on our 2wd. The mx100, 110, 120, 135 are all the same tractor with different fuel pump settings. Also Imo get a tractor without a loader then buy a loader. Save you thousands on front end work. Utility tractors under 50 hp not as big an issue as they don't lift as much. Echo the thought that there isn't really such thing as to much tractor. Always want more!

Some things to consider:
Be careful what brand you buy. The reason I say this is if something goes wrong you'll need to have it fixed...so making sure you have a service dept readily available will be worth it's weight in gold
Also...I am not sure what your budget is and that's not of my business but I may worth it and nearly as reasonable to buy new...in case something does go wrong this way you won't have to pay for it..
As someone who knows a little about machinery I would recommend getting a Deere...they truly are the best tractors or there...I know several guys who have switched from Kubota to Deere and have never looked back...
Good luck

John deer may be the most expensive to fix besides JCB. You are paying extra for a name. One more thing, newer isn't always better. Some great tractors were made in the 90's. Lots of farmers prefer older tractors, they still bring great money. Really depends on size, new tractors bring HUGE money.

Last edited:
JCB? I have never heard of that.
Hey- side topic u mentioned- all those tractors with varying hp's with same engines- how would a guy go about changing fuel pump settings or looking into this?

In regards to model & year- I agree - some great older tractors. Farmers often stick with some "oldies but goodies". Some of the 8100-8400 deeres r as solid as they come (for farmers). I like new cause I like warrantees & knowing what's been done on tractors. For little utility tractors- they get abused so be careful to buy one u can verify its been well cared for. Those things get beat to piss on some occasions and maintained terribly. Just be careful. If u have great service and parts near by- researching some good models, hp and competitive pricing u can find lots of great units that will tear stuff up with mfwd & a loader. Work machines. I'd see if u could find mechanic in the shop or Google to ask which model #'s seem to be the most solid and if any models are known for problems.

JCB? I have never heard of that.
Hey- side topic u mentioned- all those tractors with varying hp's with same engines- how would a guy go about changing fuel pump settings or looking into this?

In regards to model & year- I agree - some great older tractors. Farmers often stick with some "oldies but goodies". Some of the 8100-8400 deeres r as solid as they come (for farmers). I like new cause I like warrantees & knowing what's been done on tractors. For little utility tractors- they get abused so be careful to buy one u can verify its been well cared for. Those things get beat to piss on some occasions and maintained terribly. Just be careful. If u have great service and parts near by- researching some good models, hp and competitive pricing u can find lots of great units that will tear stuff up with mfwd & a loader. Work machines. I'd see if u could find mechanic in the shop or Google to ask which model #'s seem to be the most solid and if any models are known for problems.

JCB is out of Europe but they have also been here for a while now. They make a skidloader with a side door and a single loader arm and some higher hp tractors known as Fastrac. They can supposedly go 50 mph on the road. Here custom manure haulers use them and custom forage harvesters. As for the MX series you can play with the fuel pump I suppose but the best is to put it on a dyno then adjust the pump to the desired hp. We have several MX tractors with the 5.9 and our 170's have a bigger pump and frame and will go up to 175 hp. Our 120 is at 118 hp and our 170's are around 140-150 hp. Great fuel economy with this motor as well. Same 5.9 they put in trucks forever.

I think, and this in my opinion, if I was going to buy something to do foodplots and move snow and have the convenience of hauling it I would go skidloader. The loader is far superior to a tractor and there are so many attachments. The tillers work great and can get into some tight spots. 2 speed, cab, ride control, cheaper tires, great resale, easy to haul, many rental places have piles of attachments. Sorry to post so much, spend my whole day in a tractor or skidloader, I am mixing feed right now waiting on the silo.

John deer may be the most expensive to fix besides JCB. You are paying extra for a name. One more thing, newer isn't always better. Some great tractors were made in the 90's. Lots of farmers prefer older tractors, they still bring great money. Really depends on size, new tractors bring HUGE money.

Paying extra for a name? This is a very inaccurate statement and such made by someone who is obviously partial to case ih...tractors are like anything else in this world you get what you pay for...yes a case or a Kubota or new holland or whatever else you would like to mention will do the job, probably...a john Deere tractor is far more superior to anything else out there..but that does come with a price...having a well trained parts and service dept is what sets Deere apart from anything else...

As far as turning the injection pump up it can be done...depends the age of the machine...the newer stuff are mostly high pressure fuel systems which are electronically controlled so you would have to have the right electrical equipment to turn those pumps up...

Yes older tractors were very well made and this is why there are still many of them running today but I would not say that older farmers would rather have an older tractor...most farmers like to keep up with the times because they understand that technology is here and want to keep up with that....and to a farmer a warranty is worth everything...
If you would like any info on john Deere tractors both old and new let me know and I'll help out in any way possible !

I think, and this in my opinion, if I was going to buy something to do foodplots and move snow and have the convenience of hauling it I would go skidloader. The loader is far superior to a tractor and there are so many attachments. The tillers work great and can get into some tight spots. 2 speed, cab, ride control, cheaper tires, great resale, easy to haul, many rental places have piles of attachments. Sorry to post so much, spend my whole day in a tractor or skidloader, I am mixing feed right now waiting on the silo.

X2 I'd also get tracks rather than tires

Who is bias? That is your opinion, I have mine. Never met a John Deere fan that didn't think they were the greatest, though they still own a red combine!

Top Bottom