Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

traditional archery

deerhunter93

I think I might want to get into traditional archery. Is there a good bow out on the market that isn't too expensive? And I dont know what would be better, a long bow or recurve. I would be fine looking at either.

Thanks

For ease of shooting I'd go with a recurve if you're just starting. Don't overbow yourself. Start out with 40-45 lbs. Or whatever you are comfortable with. As for bows, I'd personally pick up a used classic from the 60's or early 70's. Pearsons are unsung heroes of bows and can be had fairly cheap. Bear Grizzlys are going up in price but can still be had at good prices and they shoot great. Stick with a fairly long bow. 60 inches or so. Easier to learn with. With a little watching time, you should be able to get a good bow for 100.00 or so.
If you are wanting new, this guy get's great reviews and his prices are great for a custom bow.
http://tradstore.com/mta/

Thanks for the website... I'm about 5 foot 7 and 15 years old so do you think the midsized recurve would be good. Seems like a great price too! Its not even close to 60" though. So generally the longer the bow the easier it is to learn with?

Midsized recurve - This recurve bow is 51" long and is just the right size for that first hunting bow for kids 12 years and up, as well as for ladies. Available in draw weights up to 45# at 26". It's light and fast shooting with a locator grip and center cut riser. For those kids that want to take their shooting a step further and give dad some competition at the 3D shoot (as well as those wives that feel it's time to show up their other half!). Comes with 4 arrows and a B-50 Flemish string in your choice of colors. $150

DH93,
Since you're from central Iowa, go see Tom at Bearfoot Traditions in Des Moines. He has tons of new and used longbows and recurves and I guarantee you'll find something you like there. Plus, he has an indoor range and is very helpful in stringing up all sorts of bows for you to try. That way you can find one that you know fits you well both in length and poundage. Call ahead because he has evening only hours and it's tough to find his shop the first time since the entrance is in a rear alley. I bought my longbow from him, great guy to deal with.

Bearfoot Traditions
617 Euclid Ave
(515) 282-4623

Listed hours are approx 6-10 PM Monday-Friday

DO NOT overbow. I still only shoot 52-54#, even at my age.

I agree with Shovel
"Bear Grizzlys are going up in price but can still be had at good prices and they shoot great."
Pretty bows too IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DO NOT overbow. I still only shoot 52-54#, even at my age.
</div></div>

Same here, I shoot 48# at age 37. Do NOT compare your compound bow weight to trad equipment. I can pull 70# easy on a modern compound but they have 80% letoff waiting at the end of the draw cycle compared to no letoff on a traditional bow. Night and day difference as already mentioned by the others.

So what would be the lightest draw weight to kill a deer? I know I know, shot placement, but I just want something that I know will do the job.

Thanks IBT for the number!

I don't know if Iowa has a minimum weight or not. Here it's 40 lbs. I've taken plenty of deer with 42 lbs. A good sharp cut on contact head and put it in the boiler room.

I do not believe Iowa has a minimum weight. I've heard various numbers float around in conversations ranging between 31-40# but I've looked through the DNR regs and can't find any actual requirement. Fully agree with Shovel about the cut on contact broadheads, they're a practical requirement. Forget Muzzys and the like. Shovel's a bit of a legend and uses stone and forged type tips mountain man style but many guys use heads like Magnus, Zwickey, Woodsmans, etc. Also, I do <u>NOT</u> want to talk you out of using cedar or other wood shafts before you even get started because it can all be part of the experience but to be honest up front, a lot of the crossover trad guys I've dealt with including myself, use carbons. Beman 500's or similar to be exact and I add weight tubes into the arrow shafts to get a nice heavy arrow. Total personal decision only you can make. As far as point/head weight, forget 100 grains, in traditional you're looking more at 125, 150, and on up. Some people go well on up past that to give the arrow the necessary weight. In other words, there's multiple ways to add weight to arrows for use in traditional type bows.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> DO NOT overbow. I still only shoot 52-54#, even at my age.
</div></div>

DOR gave ya some good advise.

What the compound does is give you a consistent draw length and ease of holding at full draw. Once you overcome these obstacles, you will be on your way to success.

Go 50lbs, build strength, work on your form and the rest will come.

It's like throwing a football to a receiver. You practice enough, the arrow goes where you want!

Hunting in the end isn't about how good you are about shoot long distances, it's about how good you are getting close to animals!

HUNTING!

All very good advice. I love hunting with the stick and string. I have a couple of real nice bear recurves that I could sell .If your interested shoot me a pm. I know alot of guys shoot carbon, but for me personaly I choose cedar. If your looking for some awsome arrows contact DOR. I to only shoot 56lbs.

Top Bottom