Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree stand precaution

dbltree

Super Moderator
My friend Rich Baugh sent me a pic of something to watch out for if you leave your stands up year around...chewed straps!

TreeStandstrap.jpg

Stepping into a stand like that could end up badly so be sure to check things over carefully before season starts and remember to use your safety harness...:way:

Great post! Good idea to replace them every couple years. We had a couple snap this year while we were putting stands up. Always a good idea to double check :way:

This idiot took a long-fall tumble about 5 years ago. I posted some pictures of my shattered arm and having a broken back is not fun. It was actually from SETTING UP A STAND in July BUT still, stupid!!! Beyond all the OBVIOUS, one tip..... Every year you hunt a stand that's been up, put a NEW ratchet strap on it (or 2)... They hold 500-1000 lbs (depending on which one of course) and only cost around $4-$8 each. So what if you have 5 ratchet straps on one stand. The other thing I've done is chain up each stand- yes, it helps with theft BUT your chain ain't gonna wear out like the straps do! Put a couple ratchet straps or chains in your back-pack and combine that with the rest of the common sense stuff so you're safe out there!

All I use is chain and chaine binders on all stands...Iv never had cabels break on my hangons but I started using chain as well...With chain you can lower or raise the plat form to level...Binders are close to $15 bucks...I also atach the lose chain together with a bolt...I refuse to use ratchet straps on my stands for the main line...I will use them on the bottom of the stand...

It's risky leaving stands with straps up all year. Another good idea is to let the straps loose a little after the season is over if you're going to leave them up. As trees grow, they stretch the straps thin and weaken everything on the stand if they're too tight.

Thanks for posting the picture for me Paul. ( I still haven't figured out how to do that) This stand was hung last august and the strap was chewed by November. Evidently I covered up a hole that something was living in. Just wanted to remind everyone to keep a close eye on your straps even if your stands haven't been up long.

Top Bottom