Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trying to do the right thing.....

bowtech150

Backstrap Assassin
A buddy and I went out coyote hunting Saturday on some public ground in our beloved Muscatine County. Pulled off in one of the lots and got our stuff together. Saw these two Scott county plate vehicles and looked down the road and saw three guys lined up pass shooting geese. Ok cool well we wont go that direction. So we went the other direction a couple hundred yards away. We set up and sit for awhile and geese are just everywhere these guys are skybusting like crazy (typical public hunter) IMO. A few more go by and all the sudden ONE gun fires off 7 shots.. My buddy and I look at each other like what the heck was that and then it happens again. Well finally they some how scratched one out of the air since we have been there so we use that time to go up and chat with them and check out whats going on. Introduce ourselves and we see one guy holding a shotgun with a extended mag on. So we say a few friendly words and they are super nervous and jumpy. We go on our way and well we try to get in contact with a dnr officer and inform him of what we witnessed and we cant get ahold of anyone called 4 different officers and left messages and nothing returned tried the tip hotline. That is a joke 5 minutes of computer animated questions it sends you to our old officers number he is retired.... WHAT DO YOU DO??

If you can't get in touch with the DNR, get license plate numbers and contact your local sheriff's office. If they're not tied up with something they should be able to come out to at least identify the people involved. That way the information can be forwarded to the local CO for further investigation and potential charges.

-Longspurs-

If you can't get in touch with the DNR, get license plate numbers and contact your local sheriff's office. If they're not tied up with something they should be able to come out to at least identify the people involved. That way the information can be forwarded to the local CO for further investigation and potential charges.

-Longspurs-

^^^^
What he said.

It is to prevent crippling of ducks that are out of shotgun range. Most of the time after the 3rd shot waterfowl are out of lethal kill range.

Hunters tend to underestimate shot distance of birds especially with fast flying waterfowl. Crippling bird numbers goes WAY up with anything over 3 shots for the average hunter.

It is to prevent crippling of ducks that are out of shotgun range. Most of the time after the 3rd shot waterfowl are out of lethal kill range.

Hunters tend to underestimate shot distance of birds especially with fast flying waterfowl. Crippling bird numbers goes WAY up with anything over 3 shots for the average hunter.

Agreed, and it makes perfect sense. I keep the plug in for pheasant season as well. Even with a semi auto, anything beyond the 3rd shot is iffy. Used to take it out back when numbers were abundant and flushes of multiple birds were common. Wouldn't bother me a bit if they required plugs upland as well.

NWBuck

Saw a guy walkin around some public yesterday with muzz in hand. Wasnt wearing any type of orange and was tempted to call in!

I have the cell #s for my local officers on speed dial, about the only easy way to get ahold of them.

I have the cell #s for my local officers on speed dial, about the only easy way to get a hold of them.

I have the Sheriff's office number for the two counties I hunt the most as well as the local CO and the one to the west saved in my cell phone.

Almost every cell phone has a camera. Snap a pic of the vehicles in the parking lot with a clear view of the license plate.

Seems to be a growing problem. Out archery hunting this fall and everyday out the same guy with his girlfriend out there black tactical shotguns blasting away at nothing.

I talked to him once and he says oh i am from Wisconsin and we are going to shotgun this season. No consideration for the bowhunters.

Never understood how you can walk through timbers see 20 different stands and not rethink maybe you should be out blasting your shotgun somewhere else.

Makes perfect sense. Now I know.

Saw a guy walkin around some public yesterday with muzz in hand. Wasnt wearing any type of orange and was tempted to call in!

He could have been using it to coyote hunt? Unless you know 100% why sweat it. To each there own, but there are 1 million ways to skin a cat. Someone's hunting style may not go hand in hand with yours doesn't make it wrong or "illegal"

I'm an avid waterfowler and absolutely hate when guys fence row bang or ditch pass shoot, however it's perfectly legal and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm not calling you a liar, however 7 shots is only possible with a tube extender and you'd have to be an absolute moron to have one on your gun and be out waterfowl hunting during fall seasons. 3 guys pass shooting, odds are good all three guys were shooting hence why you heard 7 shots.

He could have been using it to coyote hunt? Unless you know 100% why sweat it. To each there own, but there are 1 million ways to skin a cat. Someone's hunting style may not go hand in hand with yours doesn't make it wrong or "illegal"

I'm an avid waterfowler and absolutely hate when guys fence row bang or ditch pass shoot, however it's perfectly legal and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm not calling you a liar, however 7 shots is only possible with a tube extender and you'd have to be an absolute moron to have one on your gun and be out waterfowl hunting during fall seasons. 3 guys pass shooting, odds are good all three guys were shooting hence why you heard 7 shots.
um he said when he talked to the guys the one guy had a extend tube

I keep the plug in for pheasant season as well. Even with a semi auto, anything beyond the 3rd shot is iffy.

Back in college, me and a buddy went duck hunting at daybreak, shot a couple of Mallards. Decided to shift gears and chase pheasants. We pulled plugs and ran into a DNR checkpoint. They warned us that we needed to keep the plugs in the guns while in possession of waterfowl. Thankfully they let us put the plugs back in without writing tickets.

I have a Remington 1100 Special Field English stock that only accepts three shells.

Well our biggest problem lies in the fact that we have no conservation officer specifically for our area Scott county is covering ours as well. Open door to some who like to do their thing. We had all cell numbers but still nothing came of it. I waterfowl hunt quite a bit and that's the first I've seen someone with an extender that wasn't snow goose hunting. I hope that's the only goose they got that day. Never thought of the sheriff. I will remember that for next time.

He was also about 60 yds from the private ground I was huntin and was facing the fence. I highly doubt he was yote huntin with 60 yds to work with and especially with a muzz. I know since he is on public I cant do much about it cause he can do what he wants but I was gonna be one pissed kid if he was shooting onto the private ground!

-Longspurs-
Agreed. Sheriff's office has been quicker to respond for us sometimes.

Maybe he's like some of these guys on tv...do the stalk in camo, then put on the orange right before they take the shot! Drives me nuts...and don't think it would be legal in Iowa. But perhaps it's only when their guide is carrying the gun and they are carrying a bow until they decide they can't get any closer. Anyway, I think wearing orange on public ground during any firearm season should be the rule, whether you are hunting the game for that season or not. But, I guess that's just up to everyone to determine their own level of cautiousness.

Guess he can always claim he is coyote hunting if checked, but guessing he better not have a deer tag in his pocket at the time.

I have the Sheriff's office number for the two counties I hunt the most as well as the local CO and the one to the west saved in my cell phone.

Almost every cell phone has a camera. Snap a pic of the vehicles in the parking lot with a clear view of the license plate.

Just don't get them riled up when taking the pic...could end badly if they are that type.

T.I.P. Hotline is a joke. I would only use that as a last resort. Like others have said, get you local CO's cell number or call the Sheriff's department.

Top Bottom