Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey Updates

Blaster

PMA Member
Has anyone been out scouting yet? If so what are you seeing. I went down south last weekend and saw some large groups. The toms were starting to strut. Not much gobbling but it was windy that morning. I would think they would start breaking up soon.

From Creston to about Melrose, I saw several groups of 5-10 birds along highway 34. Most groups had strutters in them. Can't imagine that they would be gobbling just yet, but won't be long.

Ive heard really good gobbling on nice mornings from the roost for almost a month now... they seem to quiet down quite a bit shortly after flydown though. Still pretty grouped up and Im sure this cool weather isnt doing any good.

Not much action on the ground yet. Starting to see toms splitting away from their flocks, hens still in big winter groups.

From Creston to about Melrose, I saw several groups of 5-10 birds along highway 34. Most groups had strutters in them. Can't imagine that they would be gobbling just yet, but won't be long.

My son heard some gobbling a couple of weeks ago while shed hunting. In the past, I have heard them in February for sure. It just depends, but on a nice sunny winter day, you can often get them to sound off.

Couple weeks ago when we had that warm up, they were out strutting and gobbling like crazy. Past week slowed down considerably at least in central Iowa. I had couple buddies south of 80 in God's country say Tom's have started splitting off from winter flocks, couple days ago south of Woodward I saw flock of 50 still so first season up here may be a blast. 10 day looks promising, youth season can't get here soon enough!!

I watched a single tom put on a show for a single hen when they came out into my wr/clover plot to eat in this morning. I haven't seen any big groups in a couple weeks.

Last weekend I saw 4 longbeards in a group strutting on a hilltop on the way to the previous mentioned plot.

Buddy watched a gobbler breed a hen two weeks ago. Seeing a few strutting. Saw one big group of strutters. Looks like it will be a good year!

Went down south this weekend to check my cam's and to scout for youth season. I would say there still grouped up!:D
picture.php

I guess My flock is a wee bit ahead of the game. My winter group of 7 gobblers have been broken up for a few weeks now. I get normally around 3 mornings a week to listen and they are spread out and very vocal! I had a few this morning not stop gobbling until about 9...first season cannot get here fast enough!

Top Bottom