Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Typical 12 Video / 165" roughly

DarkArcher

Lung Buster
Well guys I am very new to guessing age and score on bucks but this guy looks to be close to 165" to me personally but I would love to get your opinions. I also think based on my 2 different encounters yesterday from 2 different stands that he is only a 3 1/2 year old deer???? Thoughts?

He wouldn't commit to the decoy during either sit yesterday and was very fustrating as the wind was perfect for both of our set up's and he would come to about 60 yards but never fully commit.

Decoy was in the open...alfalfa & CRP field and both times he came in to a grunting/rattling/wheezing sequence but never would commit fully. During the 2nd encounter (which is the 1st vid clip) we watched him for the last 30 minutes of light at about 65 yards...intense! Then he turned and went back up over the ridge, he didn't even seem to pay any attention to the does that walked right past him either.

Enjoy the video, the encounters were amazing! I will continue to edit and add links to the thread as I continue to uploade vid's....it seems to take forever for a vid to load.

Enjoy, I would love to hear your thoughts & feedback as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlkmDE5yKKs

I once read an article that stated if you add up the upright tine lengths (including brows) and add somewhere between 90-100 inches (depending on other quick visual criteria like mass-width-beam length) in most cases you will be within 5 inches on most typical racks.

Using this method, I came up to right around 160. Great deer. How old do you think this buck is? Buck looks like he might be a three yr old (I am basing that on his brows being so close together) ??

Thanks for sharing.

BJohnson - I agree he may only be 3 & 1/2 years old, he was in the field with a much bigger bodied deer that I am guessing is either 4 & 1/2 or 5 & 1/2. The Older 9 pointer was definitely more dominant as he approached this 12 point he scurried off quickly.

Nice looking buck! I'm getting him in the low 160's when I add him up. His body looks like a 4.5 year old to me, but if you're seeing much larger bodied deer, he may be only 3.5.

He does look 3.5 which probably makes his rack look a little bigger than it is, but he still looks all of 160 to me.

I'm gonna agree with sep0667. I think definitely 3.5 year old but only in the 150-155 range. Either way, he'd be awful hard to pass up.

Where abouts you huning in Monroe Co? I hunt near Albia. Leaving tomororow for 10 days of hunting! What kind of action have you been seeing, morning, day and evening? Thanks

I hunt in a few different spots through out the county, quite a bit north of Albia. Action has been slow during mid day but mornings and evenings I have seen some chasing & what not.

If the weather cools down early in the week I think it will be on like donkey kong!

Top Bottom