Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Valid permit to carry

JNRBRONC

I'm guessing they wrote the hunting regs before the July 1 law took effect? Now, a person doesn't need a valid permit to carry. Or is this regulation stricter than state law?

"Cannot carry a handgun while hunting with a bow tag, unless hunter has an unfilled transportation tag for a season that allows handguns or a valid permit to carry."

Not that I really care that much, I don't plan on carrying, but there might be some confusion on this headed into season.

They added that part a few years back when they were forced to allow permit holders to have handguns on them while bowhunting. I assume they won't change it and will require a valid permit for all the things the DNR has historically been against. I don't generally feel the need to carry while bowhunting but it's one of many factors someone may choose to renew their permit even though it isn't "required" any longer.

Iowa has always gone with the most restrictive regulation. That means that CCW laws that allow you to carry a 3” .380, but you can’t hunt with a 3” or a .380, therefore you can’t have it in the woods while deer hunting (even though it would be legal to carry while not hunting). The July 1 change does not effect anything in fish and game laws, therefore, there’s really nothing new.

The law changed years ago to exclude weapons that aren’t allowed during a given season. I had to quit carrying a .22 (for squirrels) while bow hunting. To be safe, I carry a handgun that would be legal for both the season I’m hunting and for general carry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Iowa has always gone with the most restrictive regulation. That means that CCW laws that allow you to carry a 3” .380, but you can’t hunt with a 3” or a .380, therefore you can’t have it in the woods while deer hunting (even though it would be legal to carry while not hunting). The July 1 change does not effect anything in fish and game laws, therefore, there’s really nothing new.

The law changed years ago to exclude weapons that aren’t allowed during a given season. I had to quit carrying a .22 (for squirrels) while bow hunting. To be safe, I carry a handgun that would be legal for both the season I’m hunting and for general carry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure you can carry a handgun while hunting even if it's not allowed during the season as long as you're a concealed carry permit holder. The "or" means if you have a CC license you're good to go.

I'm not sure if the current legality for non permit holders now that the new constitutional carry law has passed.

Top Bottom