Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Very BAD day. Found my best 3 year old dead this morning

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
The really really sucks. I identified this deer early as having a world of potential. He was on a strict DO NOT SHOOT list. He was my best 3 year old. He was probably going to be close to a booner as a 4 year old and who knows if he would have hit 5. I am quite upset as I knew exactly where he was living and would not have been that hard to hunt if he kept the same pattern in the years to come. I know this comes with the territory in deer management, it's just disappointing. I haven't scored him, but I did measure his G2's at over 12". (For internet police I called the CO for a salvage tag)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

That one stings. Ouch. Yep, my experience, without being too hard on the shotgun pushers - reality is - they generally go for "bigger racks" and that's often the best 2, 3 & 4 year olds that get lead flung at em (basically, unlike many bowhunters, they have almost zero ability to age deer while they are running or trotting). I had a small piece back in the day where I picked up 4 to 6 dead ones (sometimes like that) from the slug slingers every single year. Bummer to see that genetic marvel go down no matter how it happened. Sorry.

Yep that sucks! That's why you shoot them when ya get the chance.

Not in my mindset. I'd rather pass the young dumb ones to see if they do make it to maturity and often they do. Recently on 92 acres passed a buck since it was a 135" 2 yr old and my fam got him as a 180's 5 yr old. Passing him every yr, even as a 170's 4 yr old. U shoot em, 100% they won't make it. In my experience and tracking deer for many years on as small as 30 acres- we still have well over half the bucks live that we pass. So, the majority. This is hunting though as some will not make it. I Surely won't pull the trigger out of "fear" though- like my neighbor killing it. Not why I hunt. I don't shoot from a fear perspective but enjoy the huge reward of connecting on that buck that made it 5++ seasons & would rather eat my tag than tag a young buck. That's one schmo's perspective and opinion & what makes hunting fun & challenging to me. The day will never end that I dont find the unfortunate like above but I'll continue to pass these immature deer that haven't reached their potential. I can't do a thing about what happens when he jumps my boundaries or dies of many different natural ways but im thrilled to wait for an old bruiser.

Heck of a buck! At least you found him and you don't have to wonder where he went come summer!

I feel your pain. I passed this 3 year old last year twice at 20 yards. He ended up getting shot during first shotgun.. He was on camera almost every other day and then just just disappeared. Found out why though.

On the bright side you know what happened to him

I feel your pain. I passed this 3 year old last year twice at 20 yards. He ended up getting shot during first shotgun.. He was on camera almost every other day and then just just disappeared. Found out why though.

On the bright side you know what happened to him

Ouch. That was a dandy. Future NT superstar.

Sorry to read that buck didn't make it. We found a pretty nice 2 year old dead on our place today too. We saw him alive and well on the 10th and couldn't see any wounds or anything today and he seemed like he hadn't been dead long. It stinks when that happens.

Shorty after purchasing my Iowa property I was shed hunting my farms and some friends farms....couldn't believe the number of dead bucks we found and continue to find...many over the hill, out of sight, in draws, etc.....that's when my Iowa friend told me the saying, " they shoot until they are out of sight or out of slugs" !! ...some of these bucks were BIG and out in the open....had to call for salvage tags many times......pretty sad....not much follow-up it seems if the deer doesn't fall within sight .

Top Bottom