Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Water Source

eiowaarcher

I am battling lack of water on one of my farms so I need some thoughts or ideas. Do I put out some water tanks? Do I bring in a small backhoe and dig out a little pond 3-4 feet deep and 20-30 feet in diameter? There is a large drainage ditch going through the property. The run off water from the whole property goes to that but the ditch goes into the neighbors and eventually dumps into their creek so none of the water stays on mine except a few very small pockets. The sides and bottom are mostly rock. Does anybody have a idea on how to damn that up? Thanks guys.

How much water are you wanting to provide? There are a lot of ways to do it...depending on how much effort and $$$ you want to use.

It can be as simple as burying a plastic barrel cut in half lengthwise.
For larger or more permanent & natural water holes you can dig a small one and put dolomite limestone in the bottom. This will help it hold water instead of draining into the soil.
I've also used drainage ditches to create ponds big enough to fish. I am not in favor of creating a dam on the ditch itself. I prefer to dig a channel off to one side to feed the pond, then another channel to send overflow back into the ditch.

Top Bottom