Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What would the rut be like

turkeyriver

PMA Member
If we had at least six in. of snow on the ground? One of my favorite deer hunting fantasies would be hunting the first days of Nov. with a big snow on the ground. I remember back in 1991 or 92 that we had a BIG snowstorm on Halloween. My kids were young and I distinctly recall the snow piled up on the jack-o-lanterns. The snow stayed all of Nov. into gun season. Wasn't bowhunting back then. The only day I remember sitting on stand in snow was a few years back when a couple in. fell overnight but was melted by noon. It was the single best morning for buck movement that I have ever seen. What do you think would happen? Would movement quickly fade as deer settled into winter mode? Or would daytime movement be accelerated for days? Pure speculation I know, but it's raining and I'm dreaming about November:grin::grin:

In MN it is a great rut when there is snow on the ground.

Of course, a great rut in MN, will not compare to a normal rut in Iowa

I think weather always plays an important role in deer movement. Rut has deer moving anyways but anytime the stars can align and we get those perfect scenarios the deer seem to also want to be on the move. Snow during the rut would be icing on the cake.

DG, I had to look up "feening", but yeah I guess I am. Please reread" the single best morning of buck movement". You've never dreamed of the morning conditions that would have every buck in the country on his feet and running past your stand?

Well, it would be wet.

I remember that fall. The leaves weren’t off the trees yet and the place I was living lost a lot of branches.

I don’t think it would have as negative an effect on the rut as 80+ degree temps as is the norm the past few years.

There is something special about a big wet snow fall and warmish temps the next morning. It is almost a surreal experience. Then couple it with hunting from a tree stand……. perfect.

I doubt you are dreaming about snow. You are dreaming about feeding me more tapifreakinoka and birdseed bread.

Snow and deer hunting: takes me back to my first deer hunt in 1975.

Though it was fresh snow for the first shotgun season, stopped snowing just as day broke.

Hooked on deer hunting for life because of that day......

2011, we had 8 inches of snow on the ground on November 7. I hunted for 4 days straight with snow in the timber, by the 4rth day it was pretty well gone.

We had 6 to 8 inches on October 29th, 2011 in Pa. The rut was getting close but the snow has no impact on rutting activity from my experience. It is beautiful, peacefully quiet and a joy to experience early season of sure. Easy tracking if it all comes together.

I was so pumped to hunt that morning so I hit the stand early during the wet heavy snow, made it about 4 hours without any activity and was too wet and cold to hang out. Checked my camera at that stand the next day and the big boy was there with a doe around 2:00 while my camo was in the dryer. They were there about an hour or two after it stopped snowing. Lesson learned!

If it was the first fresh snow fall of the year I think it would be like freshman at the senior high dance. Bucks would be going crazy

Top Bottom