Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's your favorite scent?

D

DecoyGuy

What's everyone's favorite scent? The last couple of years, I gotten hooked on James Valley Scents they seem to work good all season here in SD. I know several people in this area won't use anything else now because it has proven itself for them also. Cabela's here in SD has just started handling James Valley. I'm kinda reluctant to try anything else once I have found a brand I'm confident in. How about you guys?

I had very good luck bringing deer in several years ago using several of the James Valley scents, wasn't too good at hitting them though. Haven't used many scents in the last few years but saw some Wall Hanger that James Valley makes a couple days ago and was thinking about giving it a try again.

Headed out to Wyoming to elk hunt and will probably hit that SD Cabela's your talking about on my way home. Maybe I'll put it on the shopping list.

Pat

I have a friend who raises deer and his kids go out in the pens in the fall and collect the urine from the does. When they squat to pee, the kids run over with a tupperware bowl fastened to the end of a broomstick and catch the urine and bottle it. Nothing like it. Most commerically prepared deer urines are not deer urine at all.

Sounds pretty good! Do they sell it or why do they raise deer?

I used Tinks 69 in the past without a lot of luck. The last couple of years Buck Stop 200 has brought several bucks within range. During pre rut I like to leave a scent trail to my stand, about the last 22 yards. Seems to work well.

I always get a little paranoid about using too much scent. Several years ago on an evening hunt in late October I laid out a scent trail with Mrs. Doe Pee as I walked to my tree stand. Not wanting a deer to walk right up to the base of my tree I picked the drag rag up about 30 yds from the base of my tree. About 45 minutes later an 8 point buck came trotting in right down my scent trail. When he hit the end he stopped, looked around turned around, and put his nose back to the ground and retraced his steps. Tried grunting to get him to turn with no luck. Now on the rare occasions I make a scent trail I always swing around about 20 yds upwind of my stand now and make sure I get the scent trail through a shooting lane.

none! zero! nona! zilch!

hunt the wind only. there is no scent available that is a substitute for hunting with the wind in your favor.

gap

Gap I'm not talking about using a so called "cover scent" ever. I'm talking about using urine as an attractor. Urine is always an attractor. That goes for fox urine, coon urine (Ya right like it's really coon urine in that bottle)deer urine, even human urine. All urine is an attractor.

Some of the best success I've had attracting bucks to a scrape or activating a breeding scrape is to go to a state park near here and scoop a bunch of dirt out of a scrape into a ziploc bag, then bring it back to my hunting area and dump it in scrapes in my area. I've also fired up scrapes with my own urine and fresh fox urine I collected from the foxes myself.

People put way too much confidence in that store-bought stuff that is othing more than a gimmick. Rarely can you find good deer lure in a store. I'm not kidding you, most of the stuff is not even deer really urine and the "glands" and "scents" are synthetic.

I used to raise fox, and I always kept a few other animals around too. I got a great deal of enjoyment out of watching them and learning from them. I collected fox urine for sale, some of which went to companies that were making nothing but deer lures at the time. I used fresh fox urine for myself. I never considered using any type of "cover" scent. If you think you are ever going to completely cover your odor, you are grossly underestimating the power of a deer's nose. That goes for scent free suits, sprays, everything. The wind is your only hope, never, never, never ignore the wind.

Thanks for jumping in...I was gonna say the same thing. Cover Up versus Attractant was the point. I believe mostly in a natural enviroment, seldom using attractants. I am still studying the Scent Killers and always where ScentLok relative to the Cover Up issue.

Just me,

tlhs.jpg

I've experimented with numerous attractants, from tinks, mrs doe pee, to interdigital. I found a product last season which out-performed anything I've ever used. The product was called "Buck Magic." I found it on-line at ***** I liked the concept, but was hesitant to try it. I am very thankful I did! I had more bucks come right up to the scent (just as they advertised)than I have ever experienced with any other product. It offered me many opportunities at quality bucks. I took a 10pt. 230 pounder!
No question what will be under my stand this season.
Safe hunting! Doc.

[This message has been edited by iowawhitetail (edited 09-14-2000).]

tlh,i was thinking about trying a scent lock suit but i can't buy your oderless to a whitetail at bow ranges. i have friends who claim they have whitetails downwind at 20 yards while hunting on the ground.i'm still not convinced they work. whats your experience's with them.i wonder if there is any legitimate test's done with them?

[This message has been edited by iowawhitetail (edited 09-14-2000).]

Didn't say anything about being oderless to whitetails?

Sure they help, I have used one/two for years but as everyone knows who has ever spent anytime in the woods a deers nose is hard to fool.

Up-drafts, down-drafts, swirls, you name it I have had it happen, especially in the hills. I believe ones breath is what they smell everytime.

I know guys that never shower and don't use non-scented soaps, don't wear ScentLok, don't care about the wind, etc....but that won't ever be me.

Anything to get an edge is how I look at it.

TLH

tlh,sorry i said that wrong. what i meant was that i can't buy that anybody is oderless to a whitetail not that you said that!

no you guys don't understand. I know exactly what you mean.

my preference is that there isn't any scent except for my own sticking body downwind of my position.

you have a 50-50 chance that the smell of attractant is going to earn a positive reaction from any certain whitetail.

no smell means 100% chance he will continue into my shooting lane.

geo

I know exactly what I mean.

nrrick,

I found some information for you on ScentLok and since they are a iowawhitetail.com sponsor I have no problem posting this information. Check them out at http://www.scentlok.com and there are some great examples of how it can help.

how1.jpg

Have a great season, thanks for the visit!

TLH, Founder

[This message has been edited by TLH (edited 09-14-2000).]

Last year at the Deer classic I ran into these guys who raise deer and collect scent. I am hooked on there stuff, It smells nothing like what they have in the stores, I guess they freeze it right after they collect. Turned my buddy down in Florida on to it when he was up here last year. He is hooked called me last week seeing if I could send him down some, they just starting to hunt down there. He called me Saturday morning from the feild. he had six different bucks come in, and he ended up bagging the largest one. The name of the scent is Buck Ice

Has any one heard of or used Buckmagic
check out their dot com

I checked out the buck magic web sight and it sounds pretty good. I like the idea that it comes in a tray and it can be reused. It looks like a good product.
I think that I am going order some of it. Im goint to get the scent trail also.
Thanks for the info. I hope that I have good luck with this stuff.

BUCK

I like common sense myself. Cheaper and makes for a challenging hunt......Have fun!

Top Bottom