Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Where are all the WORKERS?

Like most large problems there's more than 1 cause and answer, but the social programs (Govt handouts) are a pretty big issue.

I've been a Deputy with a Sheriff's office for 13 years now, and my wife works on the administrative side in a medical facility. It really is disgusting the number of people on disability, welfare, EBT, and whatever else is out there. Over 90% of my arrests year in year out are enrolled in these programs, and its being passed on from generation to generation. The people on them know these programs and what they need to do to stay on them, and maximize their benefit. They make $35k+ a year never working or needing to better themselves and can continue to get drunk, high, and continue to steal other people's stuff. Believe it or not there are people out there getting more $$ from these programs than what I make in a year as a full time peace officer.

At a minimum there needs to be some sort of drug testing to continue receiving assistance, and they need to expire at some point if you choose not to get off drugs, can't stay out of jail and make something of your life. The revolving door we have in the justice system is frustrating for us, and the whole social program system needs blown up, it's broken and failed.

Sorry for the rant, I could go on and on about this.

A bunch of pieces to this and a lot of them have been mentioned already. Teen age hunter brought up a good point about his generation. They are happy to make enough money to meet their needs today with no real plan for the future. That isn’t a dig at Josh, he is living a life most of us are envious of.

Add in making money from u-tube videos, only fans and other platforms that monetize social media and a lot of people have no need to work a regular job.

There is also a subset that has figured out day trading the stock market and crypto currency’s.

Any job dealing with the public now is tough. Society has become mean, rude and demanding as a whole. I don’t blame employees for not wanting to deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watch all people carefully when out n about.
From what see on a daily basis is this...
Boys for the most part are fat, dweeby/neards.
Young Girls are fat, dumpy looking and wear face piercings to make people look at their face to try and avoid them looking at their fat asses.
You fellas here that have younger kids, GET THEM OFF THIER ASSES!!!
give them chores that are to be done EVERY SINGLE DAY!
no back talk!
These kids are the future of America.
You have a 15 year old fat/lazy kid? It's your fault!
Get some dirt under their fingernails!

I'd suggest we can take something from every post and say it's a contributing factor. I do think the corporate media ignores bad employers. They make it hard on all of us to find and retain people. We could debate that it should push people out to find other employment but we see ex-employees taking disability and doing more gig work instead of wanting steady work. Especially the BB'ers as Daver suggested.

I'll just call it right here, one of the worst employers in our area is Pella Windows. Here's how they treat their people; "You have to work to customer demand". Now...In some of their areas it means that you might work 5 - 7 hour days and even at that, they try to pressure people to leave even earlier. I know for a fact there are people who may have to work 32 hours in 5 days. Mandatory Saturdays, harrassing people over vacation use and threatening people with working holidays if they don't exceed production goals. All the while treating production people like second class citizens. It could be said that they may be a modern day sweatshop. Perhaps just too many piss poor managers creating a toxic environment that starts at the top. As far as their white collar, treated on par with most companies.

I'd suggest we can take something from every post and say it's a contributing factor. I do think the corporate media ignores bad employers. They make it hard on all of us to find and retain people. We could debate that it should push people out to find other employment but we see ex-employees taking disability and doing more gig work instead of wanting steady work. Especially the BB'ers as Daver suggested.

I'll just call it right here, one of the worst employers in our area is Pella Windows. Here's how they treat their people; "You have to work to customer demand". Now...In some of their areas it means that you might work 5 - 7 hour days and even at that, they try to pressure people to leave even earlier. I know for a fact there are people who may have to work 32 hours in 5 days. Mandatory Saturdays, harrassing people over vacation use and threatening people with working holidays if they don't exceed production goals. All the while treating production people like second class citizens. It could be said that they may be a modern day sweatshop. Perhaps just too many piss poor managers creating a toxic environment that starts at the top. As far as their white collar, treated on par with most companies.
Do they have a union? That wouldn't fly at the John Deere plant

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the recession is already here. Mainstream media won't admit to it until they can figure out a way to blame Republicans or Trump for it.
Fully agree that it's here. Two consecutive quarters of negative GDP are on the books and a third is well on its way which signals a depression. Plenty of blame to go around but I can't see the calculus that takes it back to Trump.

Any idea why a new JD tractor is pushing $700,000?

As for people CHOOSING to continue working in toxic environments when the next good job is down the street....well that's on them. You can't fix stupid, but unions are happy to pay for it.
Every good job down the street is built on the benefits unions brought. Healthcare, pensions/401k matches, paid sick leave, 40hr work week all came from unions.

John Deere tractor prices are certainly affected by the wage agreement they recently agreed to. But also, their cost of doing business is impacted by tariffs on steel which means they have to charge even more to hit their margin. Also farmers are willing to pay it and can do so because of unspent PPP funds, high profits past few years, and business depreciation write-offs. I'm a farm owner

Any idea why a new JD tractor is pushing $700,000?

As for people CHOOSING to continue working in toxic environments when the next good job is down the street....well that's on them. You can't fix stupid, but unions are happy to pay for it.
And people are leaving Pella, long term people. Yet their HR/ leadership will be in the front of the line bashing people for not wanting to work. They are just one little part of a bigger problem. We can stick our heads in the sand and use anti-employee/ union rhetoric all we want, but this forces BB'ers out of the workforce, who are valuable assets...

And people are leaving Pella, long term people. Yet their HR/ leadership will be in the front of the line bashing people for not wanting to work. They are just one little part of a bigger problem. We can stick our heads in the sand and use anti-employee/ union rhetoric all we want, but this forces BB'ers out of the workforce, who are valuable assets...
Agree. The mentality of hiring two for the cost of forcing out one is outdated. That one who has put in 25-30 years of consistent work is irreplaceable in skills, leadership, and dependability.

Those two replacements may look cost neutral in the short-term but the losses in training and especially turnover long-term is huge.

Agree. The mentality of hiring two for the cost of forcing out one is outdated. That one who has put in 25-30 years of consistent work is irreplaceable in skills, leadership, and dependability.

Those two replacements may look cost neutral in the short-term but the losses in training and especially turnover long-term is huge.
Absolutely! I also wonder if we will see a shift in compensation mentality. Perhaps part of it will be linked to attendance.

Absolutely! I also wonder if we will see a shift in compensation mentality. Perhaps part of it will be linked to attendance.
Retention bonuses and attendance bonuses would be welcomed. I've been in same job for 10 years and have over 125 banked sick days available. Would be nice to convert unused leave for pay or for vacation to reward those who are persistently working and honest.

We had both a bonus if absent <3 days as well as the option to convert 5 sick leave days to 1 vacation leave day available pre-covid. But, that went away bc they didn't want people coming to work when ill.

I used to average 1-2 sick days a year. I took 7 last year under the revised policies.

Retention bonuses and attendance bonuses would be welcomed. I've been in same job for 10 years and have over 125 banked sick days available. Would be nice to convert unused leave for pay or for vacation to reward those who are persistently working and honest.

We had both a bonus if absent
I used to average 1-2 sick days a year. I took 7 last year under the revised policies.

We have the option to convert sick leave to vacation but I will never do it because they give you less vacation for your sick leave. Easier to just call in sick once and awhile rather than them burning it to give you less time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had both a bonus if absent <3 days as well as the option to convert 5 sick leave days to 1 vacation leave day available pre-covid. But, that went away bc they didn't want people coming to work when ill.

My work has gone the opposite this year. In my dept if you call in sick they take your vacation time from you, there is no sick time. Everyone has 2 week vacation years 1-4. Years 5-14 you get three weeks. 15+ years get 4 weeks.

I have 10.5 years with the company and I have never called in sick. That was something that I took pride in. I now think that that was foolish of me the first 10 years I put in. How am I rewarded after 10 years of perfect attendence? Nothing. No banked up days, no extra bonus. Now 10 years in if I get sick my vacation time will be taken from me. If I'm sick one day then there goes one of my 15 vacation days. We had people that tested positive for covid and were ill for a full week, they had a whole week of vacation taken from them. Its all up to VP of each deparmtent on how it works. Other departments dont have this policy.

My work has gone the opposite this year. In my dept if you call in sick they take your vacation time from you, there is no sick time. Everyone has 2 week vacation years 1-4. Years 5-14 you get three weeks. 15+ years get 4 weeks.

I have 10.5 years with the company and I have never called in sick. That was something that I took pride in. I now think that that was foolish of me the first 10 years I put in. How am I rewarded after 10 years of perfect attendence? Nothing. No banked up days, no extra bonus. Now 10 years in if I get sick my vacation time will be taken from me. If I'm sick one day then there goes one of my 15 vacation days. We had people that tested positive for covid and were ill for a full week, they had a whole week of vacation taken from them. Its all up to VP of each deparmtent on how it works. Other departments dont have this policy.
Covid should not have resulted in lost time. FFCRA provided for up to 80 hours of paid leave reimbursed directly to the employer from the government. Up to $511/day was the max.
If this occurred before dec 31, 2021, the business got reimbursed for those paid sick days and simultaneously stole your vacation days.

Most companies don't truly give a squirt of piss about their employees. Most. Always make sure you take advantage of as much of what's offered on an annual basis. I basically have to be on my death bed to take a legitimate sick day, but when I've been a FTE, I always maxed out the benefits provided. Use it or lose it.

Now, I'm self employed, so if I'm not working, I'm not generating $, and I'm usually spending a healthy amount too, so it's a double edged sword when I take time off. I'd rather log into work from a hospital bed than take unnecessary time off.

Top Bottom