Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Where does it stop?

Hair&Scales

A new bill to introduce the legal use of AR-15's during a special January antlerless season.

Lessening of the fine for killing an antlerless deer without the proper tag requirements.

This is where Iowa is headed, down hill.

The purpose of this season is not to hunt for sport, but rather to manage the size of the herd,” Rozenboom said, “which is why more efficient and effective firearms are being authorized.”

Kinda scary reading this. I guess they mean just hold the trigger and mow the deer down. No telling how many they would wound. Reading the article makes me think this is what happens when people who don't actually hunt make the rules. This bill reminds of something Illinois would propose.

The write up is not very clear. Are they allowing a 5.56mm bullet or just AR-15 in general? We can already use them in .450 bush and 350. Who ever wrote this has everything out of context which makes is even dumber than it is. It is obvious they know nothing about guns. That is the real problem the guy who wrote the bill is ignorant how things work and the media that passes it on is just irresponsible for writing this garbage out of context and with misguided information.

The beginning of the end as a great place to hunt mature deer!
It will take a few years to see the results but it will happen….

View attachment 122541
I don't think you're wrong...the real problem with this noise is now there is an established path to slide things through the legislature through a political maneuver that sets up...well, you name it to get passed into law in the future. I hope that I am wrong though.

Rozendoom is a clueless boob. He exemplifies politicians who are disconnected from the real world. “I can’t make it as a private citizen…. Hey, I’ll be a slimy POLITICIAN!!!” He fits it to a T!!!! He doesn’t understand hunting or deer management…. He’s a hack. He’s a corrupt goon with a handful of buddies crying in his ear “we got in trouble for poaching deer. Deer that eat our crops. We want to kill them & we are in trouble. Help!”
So he pushes this crap. Insurance & IFC side right along with em- more guns rifling running deer like rabbit hunting - they love it!!!
When politicians run the deer regs - this is what we’ll get. Until guys like this are voted out or politicians aren’t the deciders on the regs- buckle up!!!
This man is an embarrassment to the Republican Party. He clearly is not a CONSERVATIVE (conserving nothing, liberalizing anything he can). Have folks too clueless in politics to fight against foolishness. You know how many hard core hunters are politicians in iowa? How many have managed a well balanced ecosystem on a farm with great success??? A big ZERO!!
If you’re successful at what you do- u keep doing it. If you’re not- you become a politician. There’s some good ones, no doubt. But this is the poster-child of bought & paid for political goon that cares nothing about our state or resource & only about special interests & those that keep the $ coming in. Common sense with these folks - that ship sailed long ago. Vote this guy out!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wording in the legislation is kinda vague. I pulled this from the page.
Looks like minimum bullet diameter is .223, which is insane. Why they word it like they do is beyond me.

"A rifle
-1-with a barrel length of at least sixteen inches and firing
centerfire ammunition propelling an expanding-type bullet with
a maximum diameter of no less than two hundred twenty-three
thousandths of one inch and no larger than five hundred
thousandths of one inch and with a published or calculated
muzzle energy of five hundred foot pounds or higher is the
approved method of take for this season."

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I think this is the bill in question.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

There were 16 with unsold quota tags last year. If hunters buy up the unsold tags, the extra season won't happen.

Pick option five from this link
I don't think it is as simple as this. ^^

In some areas there are still way too many deer getting hit on the roads and eating the farmers crops, etc. Even if every one of those unsold tags was filled, I am pretty sure that there would be pressure applied from the Farm Bureau, insurance lobbies, etc, to do just what has now been done.

Rozenboom, who is from Oskaloosa and is seeking reelection to the Senate, said this won’t be the last bill he sponsors on the subject. “I have become convinced that the deer population in parts of the state, including in my senate district, that those populations are sometimes out of control,” Rozenboom said, “or out of balance anyway.”

The bolded part is what concerns me the most. Pheasants Forever, of course the IBA, and several other groups do fabulous work at the capital every year. Without them who knows where we would be. Is the plan to just play defense every year against this person? We all know he’s not going anywhere. Are there any other options to push back against primarily Rozenboom, but other politicians with similar ideas in the pocket of agriculture, insurance, etc.? Is there any way to go on offense so he is not allowed to spend every legislative session on offense? I know very little about this just. Just spitballing here. Maybe going on offense against him and the farm lobby is a bad idea. It appears as though he is playing the long game - writing lots of bills every session and reintroducing old, previously defeated legislation, until it eventually gets passed.

All these politicians are idiots. You don't need semi-automatic or AR style rifles to control the deer population. We don't need any more help from the politicians. I think this is lobbyist money (either Farm Bureau or NRA) at it's finest. Rozenboom has no idea how to manage a deer population. I'm not seeing 100+ deer on the public fields I'm hunting. Heck I'm not even seeing double digits very commonly. The areas he is wanting to control but can't is large landowners or non-resident landowners. What he doesn't understand as it seems clear he is not an avid hunter is a lot of non-residents are trophy hunters. Sure they will kill a doe or two but they're not routinely knocking down large numbers of does and are not allowing others to do so. Therefore this bill will do nothing to address these areas of high deer density and the other areas will continue to have the deer populations decimated. My personal belief is this will be the continuation of allowing ANY rifle in our gun seasons and non-residents being able to hunt every year. Not sure how long this will take but the writing is on the wall and these politicians have no regard for Iowa's deer reputation.

I don't think it is as simple as this. ^^

In some areas there are still way too many deer getting hit on the roads and eating the farmers crops, etc. Even if every one of those unsold tags was filled, I am pretty sure that there would be pressure applied from the Farm Bureau, insurance lobbies, etc, to do just what has now been done.
I'm pretty sure if you read the bill, that's exactly what will happen. The extra season only runs in the counties that had unsold tags and only those unsold tags are eligible to be sold for the extra season.

And thus, for hunters and animal rights groups that oppose this policy, it would only take about 5000 of them dropping an extra $15 for another antlerless tag to buy out the quotas.

Someone said go on offense. Let’s do it.

I’m in SC Iowa and Rozenboom has a point. There are areas in Wapello, Appanoose, Monroe, Decatur, Wayne etc where deer are out of control. One day last gun 2 my wife lost count at 60 from a timber set Redneck blind in one day.

So, you’re lobbying Rozenboom and the Iowa legislature to control numbers. Per past legislative seasons the IBA has lobbied against Increased NR tags , NRLO access, crossbows and late rifles.

Provide viable alternatives to the state legislature to solve the problem. Leave it alone is not a solution.

Someone said go on offense. Let’s do it.

I’m in SC Iowa and Rozenboom has a point. There are areas in Wapello, Appanoose, Monroe, Decatur, Wayne etc where deer are out of control. One day last gun 2 my wife lost count at 60 from a timber set Redneck blind in one day.

So, you’re lobbying Rozenboom and the Iowa legislature to control numbers. Per past legislative seasons the IBA has lobbied against Increased NR tags , NRLO access, crossbows and late rifles.

Provide viable alternatives to the state legislature to solve the problem. Leave it alone is not a solution.
This is a fabulous idea. What about creating a list of people willing to shoot antlerless only deer during shotgun seasons or late muzzleloader season? Heck, any season would be fine with me. My son is 8. He and I would be happy to help out with the deer population issues. I’d pay for all the antlerless tags we use or need.

Windblocker - you mention the area of SC Iowa you are as being overpopulated. If you need help thinning anterless only deer on any of your properties I’d be happy to help. If you know of anyone who would like help thinning anterless deer I’d be happy to help.

I have sent this suggestion to both of my representatives.

Top Bottom