Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

whitetail doe with ear tags and collar??

Out for a walk Sunday and kicked up some deer all the sudden a doe comes running at me and proceeded to come up to me! I sat there and petted the deer so obviously it was tame! Had an ear tag in each ear with numbers on them and a bright orange collar! Didn't look like a tracking collar but more like a dog collar! I was on a public hunting area with no houses really close by! Anyone ever seen or heard of anything like this?

Out for a walk Sunday and kicked up some deer all the sudden a doe comes running at me and proceeded to come up to me! I sat there and petted the deer so obviously it was tame! Had an ear tag in each ear with numbers on them and a bright orange collar! Didn't look like a tracking collar but more like a dog collar! I was on a public hunting area with no houses really close by! Anyone ever seen or heard of anything like this?

You should have taken it home then next season when she went in heat go hunting and tie her up near your stand.

Orphaned, raised, collar and tags placed in hopes of preserving it's life....happens more than you'd think.

Scoffin- I thought of that actually! It was public land that I seen it on so I'm sure if she was there during the season she would be dead! Especially since she walks rite up to you!

Any deer farms in the area? Tags sound like livestock, but the collar seems odd for that unless it could be for insects/pests. Guessing if no deer farms, probably someone's "pet" that may have ventured off a little far and grouped up with others. I've heard a few stories of people making pets out of them. Does probably work better for that than bucks if they have trees!

Yes that is the picture I took I put it on the DNR Facebook page they said its not a research or study they believe the mother died and someone took the fawn and raised it and put a collar on it in hopes it wouldn't get killed!

So it's gun season and this dear rolls up on you and you start to pet it while some other hunter comes in makes a quick shot without really seeing you. Kinda scary.

A farmer told me about doing this once, ear tagging a doe they found. Not sure how friendly of a pet it became. It joined the rest of the local herd. The tag didn't save it during hunting season. ;)

Neighbors used to put a huge red ribbon around the neck of a doe. She never did get shot and you definetly new which one she was. LOL

Ear tags won't save em, but the Orange collar might. I'd shoot the ear tagged deer, but not a collared one unless it was a radio tracking collar(dnr).

A couple years back I shot a doe with a ear tag in Jones county. Ask the local deer biologist about it and he said it probably was tagged by someone that found it when it was a fawn.

Top Bottom