Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Winke bought a new Farm!

Bassattackr

Heard on Midwest Whitetail After Hours Podcast.. He's closing soon, somewhere along the Mississippi River. Excited to follow along, hope he starts to post more about hunting and habitat improvements again.

Very interesting talks about his mid-day to mid-day sets, sleeping in the woods over night..

Also talks about Nov 20-25th being great rut hunting days for seeing big bucks. Ironically, Don Higgins also has talked about the week of Thanksgiving being the best week of the rut for seeing the true giants.

Biggest buck I ever saw on the hoof was on Thanksgiving. Only single time I ever saw him. Evaded all cam locations.

I'm a firm believer in next week. Problem is I have 2 kids birthdays and 2 separate Thanksgiving parties that week every year! ARRRGGGHHHH! :)

That two of the guys commented they had their target buck on (daylight?) trail camera Nov. 12 caught my ear. I did as well. Coincidence?

Winke is a Savage. I know of very few guys dedicated enough to sleep in the woods overnight to get a buck. MW ain't the same without him.
I heard a story of a local sporting goods employee who had a buck patterned but kept getting busted going in. So he slept at the base of the tree, though not sure what time he went in. The 200"ish mount was on display at the store, not sure if it is still there or not as I think he retired.

But yeah, pretty dedicated to do that. I liked his idea of building little fox holes to hide out in instead of having to pack stuff in. But that's hardcore as well.

I heard a story of a local sporting goods employee who had a buck patterned but kept getting busted going in. So he slept at the base of the tree, though not sure what time he went in. The 200"ish mount was on display at the store, not sure if it is still there or not as I think he retired.

But yeah, pretty dedicated to do that. I liked his idea of building little fox holes to hide out in instead of having to pack stuff in. But that's hardcore as well.
Is that Larry? :) If so, I know the story too. :)

Don't any of these guys who always sleep at the stand overnight snore? I don't snore either but my wife says I do, so I guess I do!
I think snoring is a sign of deep relaxed sleep. If you watch the link, Winke talks about hearing things all night, so I doubt he got a lot of deep sleep, nor would I in a similar situation.

I haven't listened yet but I also imagine that snoring wouldn't be an issue anyway as deer wouldn't be in the timber while you're sleeping. I'm assuming he did it to not blow out a field in the morning and couldn't access the stand in the morning so he spent the night. The alarm I would need might be troublesome tho

I think snoring is a sign of deep relaxed sleep. If you watch the link, Winke talks about hearing things all night, so I doubt he got a lot of deep sleep, nor would I in a similar situation.
Yeah that's a valid point. I snore during my busiest times of the year, which coincides with fall, so that may hurt my cause. I've cold weather camped and it's definitely lighter sleeping. I do need to watch the link and intend to. I only starting watching his M.W. videos the final year or 2, although I did enjoy watching and reading his early years stuff. Calm and cool.

He's shot enough big bucks. Sounds like a silly adventure.
I like him much but this seems like a publicly stunt.

Question is did he kill a deer after sleeping in the woods ? Didn’t watch the podcast
Back in 2008 I crossed the river around midnight , hung a stand and slept in it till morning and then sat in it all day several times over. I was obsessed with a 6 yr old buck in that area. It didn't work for me but I tried.
I did get my shot at the buck on a hang and hunt but not when I slept in it. I made a dumb decision on my shot and hit him high. He was 9 years old and still alive when I stopped hunting that property 3 years later.

Would you believe that I actually saw that buck live about 2 weeks before he connected on him? I used to hunt pretty close to that area and from time to time we would see the same bucks.

One time I found a dead head in that area and cut the rack off and then took it in to show Larry what I had and he recognized the rack in my hand from about 20 feet away and knew all about that buck. And he was exactly right. I found him dead after some other dude hunting in the area gut shot him and lost him. I had no knowledge of that at the time, but once Larry saw him he filled me in on the "rest of the story". Small world. :)

Would you believe that I actually saw that buck live about 2 weeks before he connected on him? I used to hunt pretty close to that area and from time to time we would see the same bucks.

One time I found a dead head in that area and cut the rack off and then took it in to show Larry what I had and he recognized the rack in my hand from about 20 feet away and knew all about that buck. And he was exactly right. I found him dead after some other dude hunting in the area gut shot him and lost him. I had no knowledge of that at the time, but once Larry saw him he filled me in on the "rest of the story". Small world. :)

Larry sold me my first compound bow in 1983, funded by student loans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom