Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wool outerwear?

Daver

PMA Member
I have had the same outerwear for years now, Saddlecloth, but in preparation for a trip to Montana coming up I am thinking of "upping my game" and getting some wool pants, and maybe a jacket too.

I am looking at Cabela's Wooltimate Pants I think. Any opinions or advice...except from Wapsi Tree OR Ishi...(they are on my "list"...and they know why. :) :)) are appreciated.

I have a Cabelas pullover, XL, you're welcome to borrow or try on if you'd like. Its pretty nice. Also have some King of the Mountain stuff you can look at, not sure if I'll let you touch it though.

I have had the same outerwear for years now, Saddlecloth, but in preparation for a trip to Montana coming up I am thinking of "upping my game" and getting some wool pants, and maybe a jacket too.

I don't want to hijack your thread but have a ?.
Do you know where a guy can still buy saddlecloth? I bought mine back in 1998 and was still wearing it nov 22nd of last yr when I shot my buck! I have some other stuff ive bought since then but always seem too go back to it. That stuff is amazing. I have both warm and cold season sets and they work as good today as the day I bought it.

I haven't seen it in stores for years...and I am not sure why, because I think it is a great material for hunting clothes. Like Muddy said, you can still find it online, although I have never bought it online. Like you, I have had mine for many years...probably close to 20 years.

Any opinions or advice...except from Wapsi Tree OR Ishi...(they are on my "list"...and they know why. :) :))
Heh, you don't want my opinion anyway. I picked up some hunting clothes just today. Long sleeve wool shirt at Menards for like 12 dollars. Great first layer.

But seriously, you should consider upping your look a bit. I recommend something like this for you. Can't go wrong with a pair of albino Boone and Crockers :)

Daver sweater.jpg

Last edited:
Heh, you don't want my opinion anyway. I picked up some hunting clothes just today. Long sleeve wool shirt at Menards for like 12 dollars. Great first layer.

But seriously, you should consider upping your look a bit. I recommend something like this for you. Can't go wrong with a pair of albino Boone and Crockers :)

View attachment 115031

OK, NOW you are on the really bad list! :) That sweater cracked me up! Albino Boone and Crockers! LOLOLOL I have a notion to get just such a sweet sweater and wear it on my upcoming elk trip and with as straight a face as possible...wear it when we meet our grizzled, mountain man guide and tell him...look, I followed your advice and got some wool...complete with some albino booners! Sniff, where are the elk hiding? But I am not sure what type of sense of those old boys have. I really don't want them to gut me on the spot and leave me for the bears and wolves! :) :) :)

Good stuff, good stuff! :) :)

Lol. To the original intent of this post....;) I have cabelas Wooltimate pullover and their berber fleece pants. I really like both of them. They both do, however, pick up burs like crazy, the fleece is worse than the wooltimate. I'd definitely do the pullover again, it's about perfect for 40 degree plus weather with a couple layers underneath. I wear it during late season as well, just add another layer or two underneath. Typically my cold weather layering is a tight base shirt, then a fairly fitting wool shirt, then one or two layers of thick fleece, then the pullover. It works really well and is comfy. Keep in mind, I consider myself to be pretty tough when it comes to cold, but I'm also a skinny sucker so I don't create much body heat. So I usually layer up pretty heavy.

it's about perfect for 40 degree plus weather with a couple layers underneath. I wear it during late season as well, just add another layer or two underneath. Typically my cold weather layering is a tight base shirt, then a fairly fitting wool shirt, then one or two layers of thick fleece, then the pullover.

If my math is correct, you get upwards of 5 layers underneath that pullover?

47f4d141106b44859908b9a41f2e2344--a-christmas-story-the-christmas.jpg

If my math is correct, you get upwards of 5 layers underneath that pullover?

View attachment 115036

Lol. Sure do! First two layers are small, don't take up much room. One of the fleece layers is typically a vest, thick, but no sleeves. The last one is a fairly thick fleece long sleeve. My arms don't get bulky at all, and it's really not too bulky on my body either. But since you say it like that....it does sound like a bit much! The cabela's pullover is not a thick coat though, it's warm and keeps the wind out (I made sure to get the one with windshear). So my layering is probably slimmer than 2 layers under a big thick late season jacket to be honest.

When it get's cold, my lower body usually gets a pair of tights (leggings, whatever you want to call them), a pair of fleece pants and then my berber pants! I used to do jeans underneath but they don't do crap for insulation the fleece pants is where it's at! Oh by the way....I like fleece. It's so cozy.

Just curious if anyone has tried any of the battery heated garments?
I tried a first layer heated vest last year but it was pretty worthless. LYON has got it figured out for the skinny guys like myself. Multiple layers of fleece is pretty good. We seriously have a disadvantage over some of the.....shall we say......"healthier" looking gentlemen. (I won't call out Daver by name this time)

Not sure what camo pattern you're going for but scheels discontinued this outfitter series and they are selling cheap. Bibs and jacket can be had for $100 with free shipping.

https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-scheels-outfitters-wool-fleece-bib/15214-P2495.html#q=outfitter+wool&lang=en_US&start=7

https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-scheels-outfitters-wool-fleece-parka/15214-P2467.html#q=outfitter+wool&lang=en_US&start=11

Thanks just ordered full set for my growing lad.
At that price I couldn’t pass them up!

Thanks just ordered full set for my growing lad.
At that price I couldn’t pass them up!

Me too. I actually went out to the Coralville Scheels this evening, but they didn't have them. So I ordered them online...and the order appears to have taken. Thanks for the tip Bowtech!!

Top Bottom