Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Worst trail cam year & stunted growth

doublerack

2014 has been the worst trail cam year I've had in 8 years. Both camera problems and lack of big & mature deer. I don't think I have a single buck on camera that will score over 160" and the 4 mature bucks I had been getting on camera all disappeared around July 10th and haven't been seen since.
The bucks I have been getting on camera are repeat offenders from 2013. Disappointment in their jumps is an understatement.
These 3 bucks I was able to match up to 2013 photos. The little drop 8 that I had big hopes for not only lost his little drop, but I think he took a step back in size. While the smaller tight round 8pt turned into a 9, he didn't grow very much at all. And the young 10 I thought looked super cool and thought he would blow up, went from a 10 to a 9pt. On the bright side, I do think he has potential to be a very nice buck next year.
All this said, I'm still happy I get to hunt a farm I have as much history with and potential to bring a giant out of the darkness. If there was ever a year that going into it I expected to eat tag soup, this is the year.

Baby Drop 8
5604-mfdc01683.jpg

5604-wgi_0020.jpg

Round tight 8
5604-mfdc0709.jpg

5604-mfdc0718.jpg

5604-_458275.jpg

5604-wgi_0414.jpg

10 -9 but grows
5604-mfdc01362.jpg

5604-mfdc0110.jpg

5604-wgi_0478.jpg

5604-wgi_0480.jpg

Don't worry Tim. as you have told me they will show up. Look on the bright side at least you are getting bucks on camera. I have yet to have one. Definitely a weird year.

I had the same thing happen to me. I haven't had any buck pics since the second week of July. I have plenty of doe pics but no bucks.

Don't loose faith, DR. All that really matters is what deer show up in October/November. It's the Luck of the Draw.

I have done way more work on the farm this year and don't have the quality bucks I normally have on cams. I have to think though new guys will move in. I'm not worried! I have two bucks on cams from last year. Really, I am interested and excited more about not knowing what will show up! Never know what bucks will show up once the bachelor groups disperse. We all need a day in the stand just to get our minds right!!

Top Bottom