Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wyoming Elk

tmule888

I am currently sitting on 4 WY Elk Preference Points and looking for some recommendations from guys that have been to WY elk hunting. No elk hunting experience. Do you spend the money and go on a guided hunt or do you try it yourself with a bow on public ground? I keep going back and forth between the two options. Any outfitter recommendations that you guys have had success with?

I'm in exact same boat except I will do it DIY on public. I'm an elk Dummy!!! Hopefully get some info here! Also thought about trading a premium whitetail hunt for a good elk hunt, but hard to know who to trust.

I have two points and am debating on what to do. For having to wait as long as it takes to get enough points I want to do what will give me the best odds. This will be a dream hunt for me, its not all about the kill...but thats sort of my main objective, harvest an elk.

Nothing more exciting than a foggy morning getting in tight with cows chirping and the bulls a bugling!

I drew a tag for the Big Horn Mtns just NW of Sheridan a few years (8-9?) back. I chatted with a local who said him and a bunch of friends put up a wall tent and use it as a base camp, as they head up high to hunt every day. The area they were hunting was off limits to me because it was a wilderness areas and non-residents can't go in unless you hire a guide. The hunter was nice enough to offer to go to town to get a permit that would allow him to take me in, but I didn't care to impose. He did offer me some pointers on where I might find some elk. I moved around, camped out of a tent. One morning woke up to about a half inch of sleet. I found a wallow and hunted over it some, only seeing mule deer come out of the timber at sunset. Altitude started to get the best of me, I was around 10,000 feet and thought there was no way I'd be able to pack an elk out by myself.

Julie and I went back out a couple years ago to camp in a cabin in the area I hunted. It was Labor Day weekend, archery elk just opened. We were sitting out on a rock, glass of wine in hand, watching the sunset, and 5x5 bull trotted past at 75 yards. Go figure, LOL.

I left two WY PP on the table, walked away, not going to go out west anymore. Good luck, I have no regrets on the 3 hunts I did (2 NM, 1 WY).

When I applied to NM and WY, I looked at previous years' draw data. Who got drawn where with how many points. I looked at hunter success as well, looking at cow and bull harvest. Both areas in NM and WY I applied for were not "highly desirable" trophy bull units and thus your odds of drawing were better. I wanted to hunt elk, have a license in my pocket and be able to stomp around the mtns. Would I have loved to tag a bull? You bet. But I felt lucky to be out there elk hunting, everything and anything else was icing on the cake.

First DIY solo archery elk hunt in NM, second day, I was moving to a different spot when I heard a bull elk scream fairly close by. More of a squeal than a scream. Immediately, the poplar thicket the sound came from exploded and I had a herd of elk stampeding towards me. I had stopped walking at the sound of the elk, had the diaphragm call in my cheek, moved it to the roof of my mouth. As the lead cow closed on me, I did a soft cow call, she slammed on the brakes and stopped at 9 yards broadside. I sent a Montec G5 tipped arrow through her heart. She ran maybe 60 yards and piled up. Even this colorblind dude could follow the blood trail. She went down about 400 yards up a gentle slope from my car, easy quarter and pack out job.

Part of the reason I'm not going anymore is point creep. Even 10 years ago, you had to have 6,7,8 or more preference points for the "good" areas. Sorry, I don't have 10 years to wait, I'm not getting any younger.

Last trip to NM, everybody was riding ATV's around, calling from the forest service roads, educating the elk. If I was to look at a trip now, I'd try to find a primitive hike in area that does not allow motor vehicles, just my bias.

Day before I shot the cow in NM, I had LEO drive by my car, pulled around a corner and sat there a bit. This is clear back up in a national forest, along a poorly maintained forest service road. About a half hour later, he slowly drives back over to me and asks me what I was doing. It was clear he was wearing a bullet proof vest. Now did he have it on when he first drove by? Or did he pull past, put it on and come back? He'd seen my Iowa license plates. I told him I was elk hunting (dressed in camo head to toe), and his comment was that it was a long way to drive to hunt elk. I said, well we don't have any in Iowa, a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do. He asked to see my elk tag and he tried to call it in. I heard the dispatch woman on the other end saying she had no way to check to see if it was a valid tag. I guess lots of drug trafficking goes on back in these areas, I can only imagine it has gotten worse, that close to the US Mexico border (though Grants is in the northern part of the state).

Depending on the type of license you get you can bow hunt in WY, and go back for for rifle season if you're unsuccessful in archery.

If this elk hunt is a one time thing I would recommend getting a guide. However, if you're planning on going every year or every couple of years, go DIY, get your ass kicked by the mountain, and learn how to elk hunt. You will learn a TON just by being out there. There's so many resources out there that help people elk hunt.

As long as you go out there with realistic expectations, and aren't a lazy wad, I can't imagine you'll have a bad time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’ve been going out West for 25 years from Indiana & Illinois. Taken six P&Y bulls 320”-350”. You don’t need a guide in most places. Just research to get in a decent unit. Search unit aerials for North facing slopes and water sources, streams & cattle tanks. Get some tips on hunting forums. Archery season is best if you are unfamiliar with an area. The bulls will tell you where they are. I taught myself when there weren’t ten thousand YouTube videos to learn from. Just get your feet wet and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all a good pair of hunting boots and maybe a spare just in case, Backpack with a water bladder and enough room for extra layers and gear for a day on the mountain. Water/wind resistant jacket for colder conditions.

Sitting on 5 points. Was going to put it for a general tag for a hunt this fall (sept 2024). I see wyoming has changed their general tag structure and you now have to pick one of three zones ahead if time. This is a monkey wrench as I haven't done enough research to know what new zone to put in for.

Anyone have any thoughts? Not looking for specifics or to steal anyone's honeyhole!

1000091700.jpg
1000091699.jpg

Sitting on 5 points. Was going to put it for a general tag for a hunt this fall (sept 2024). I see wyoming has changed their general tag structure and you now have to pick one of three zones ahead if time. This is a monkey wrench as I haven't done enough research to know what new zone to put in for.

Anyone have any thoughts? Not looking for specifics or to steal anyone's honeyhole!

View attachment 126795
View attachment 126796
I’m currently looking at this as I’m sitting on 8 points in Wyoming and Colorado both. Plus 5 points for deer. I wasn’t well prepared but hopefully going to have a better idea by end of the weekend. Luckily I have 2 groups of guys who have been out there last year and killed elk.

Wyoming is going to be interesting with the changes mentioned above and the winter kill in multiple states last year. Do your homework in regards to populations. I’m playing the game in several Western states for multiple species and I think the next 3-5 years gonna be interesting. Demand shifts, point creep and an odd chance of a lower point draw are likely going to be at play as people move around to still hunt but wait for some high demand areas to rebound. You will also see some people with high points “settle” on areas because their age won’t let them wait out some units rebounding….

I’ve been to 123 (I think) twice during elk season, once with a tag, second time just camping. Of course I saw a nice bull the time i was camping.

Hated that I couldn’t go into the wilderness area as an unguided NR. I chose that unit as draw odds were better. I think I walked away from their draw leaving 3 points on the table, as I stopped heading west to hunt.

First trip I found the Whaley high mountain cabin in the National Forest and stayed in it, first come first serve free rustic lodging. Second time was there with my wife for the Labor Day weekend. Nice place to stay but tough elk hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wyoming is anti-Non Resident. They’ll switch to a 90/10 situation for Elk, Deer, and Pronghorn soon along with a Regular tag increase next year. Time to burn those points on the campfire and call it good imo. I’ll keep putting in and hopefully draw the random tag this year.

Last edited:
I have hunted Wyoming a few times. The last Elk hunt I went on in WY was at Wagon Hound. It was an incredible experience. Problem is it is crazy expensive and also takes 13 points. I have hunted Arizona and New Mexico many times but that was the best overall quality elk hunting experience I have ever had.
With 3-4. Point you will be looking at a general tag the odds could change with the new area divisions. Those tags are over the counter for residents. Also crossbows are legal during archery season and the majority of residents seem to use them. I have 8-9 points now and consider it no mans land. Not enough for a great area but to many for a general tag. One strategy I would recommend is to pick an area you are considering and go scout during the season the year before you hunt. Pressure moves elk greatly and summer patterns are much different than rut areas.
Good luck Wyoming is my Favorite overall western hunting state.

Wyoming is anti-Non Resident. They’ll switch to a 90/10 situation for Elk, Deer, and Pronghorn soon along with a Regular tag increase next year.
I don't consider what they're doing as anti NR, they are just protecting the residents opportunities. Very similar to what IA does with their deer hunting. I would want my state to lean heavily on protecting resident's hunting opportunities over allowing more NR. NE finally put a limit on NR tags for deer this past year and our elk population is miniscule compared to western states so the state basically allows only residents to apply for those tags. Thank you NE.

I've hunted WY for elk many times in the past 25 years and while I do lament not being able to be drawn as easily as I once was, I am totally for limiting NR numbers. I do hate how point creep has made getting a tag in WY a powerball event but I do appreciate the random opportunity in the draw.

I've talked to people that hunt WY elk from out of state. Their recommendation to me has been to save points up to ~9 to get a better unit and better hunt.

They've told me 4-5 points isn't enough to see a difference.

I'm sitting on 7 points right now...almost there.

I don't consider what they're doing as anti NR, they are just protecting the residents opportunities. Very similar to what IA does with their deer hunting. I would want my state to lean heavily on protecting resident's hunting opportunities over allowing more NR. NE finally put a limit on NR tags for deer this past year and our elk population is miniscule compared to western states so the state basically allows only residents to apply for those tags. Thank you NE.

I've hunted WY for elk many times in the past 25 years and while I do lament not being able to be drawn as easily as I once was, I am totally for limiting NR numbers. I do hate how point creep has made getting a tag in WY a powerball event but I do appreciate the random opportunity in the draw.

When you cut tags from 25% allocation to 10% on the NR side with people who saved up 25+ years of PP for Sheep and Moose it seems directed. Now with 90/10 it’ll take those people until they’re died to draw the tag. Seems a little deceptive on Wyoming’s side of things. I believe they’re going to do the same thing for Elk, Pronghorn, and Deer soon and your 8pp that you saved up will be greatly devalued.

Same with the 7 day waiting period for shed hunting for Non-Residents in Wyoming on Federal and State lands plus charging them the Conservation Stamp fee of $21.50. 80% of their revenue comes from NR hunters, anglers, and recreation. Then Residents tend to blame every issue on Non-Residents from HMA’s getting torn up to trash being left out. Blaming 10-16% of your hunters for all your problems seems ridiculous to me.

“Very similar to what IA does with their deer hunting.” Isn’t a correct statement as we charge $644 to Non-Residents for hunting and generate about $6,000,000 (approx with PP) from them every year with 9,900 NR tags sold.

I did the math on the 2021 tags. 184,483 minus 9,900 NR allocation.
General Deer licenses sold at $33 is $5,761,239 Resident contribution.
70,196 antlerless minute 9,900 NR allocation. I’ll only charge those at $14 which is $844,144 + $5,761,239 = $6,605,383 which already meets the NR tag pricing not including Resident LOT, Hunting Licenses, or Habitat fees.

I wish Wyoming would go to Resident only that way all they could blame on poor management and treatment of lands would be themselves. Edit: They’re doing great on their elk, but, the Mule Deer and Pronghorn are suffering.

Last edited:
I've talked to people that hunt WY elk from out of state. Their recommendation to me has been to save points up to ~9 to get a better unit and better hunt.

They've told me 4-5 points isn't enough to see a difference.

I'm sitting on 7 points right now...almost there.
My advice would be don’t just build the PP’s apply for a stellar unit like area 16, 100, or 1. You still have the random chance of drawing the tag, don’t just built up PP because there’s a chance you might pull that OIL tag on random.

My advice would be don’t just build the PP’s apply for a stellar unit like area 16, 100, or 1. You still have the random chance of drawing the tag, don’t just built up PP because there’s a chance you might pull that OIL tag on random.

Nothing wrong with getting lucky while stacking up points.

Top Bottom