Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth gun?

newfarmer

So my daughter will more than likely try hunting in a few years but the wife gave me the go ahead now to get her a gun to prep. We are a bow family, and I don’t know squat about guns. My 12 ga is a tack driver (bird barrel and all). But I’m wanting to find something better for her, less recoils, etc. the way our property lays out- longest shot would ever be is 150 yards (not for the first couple years unless she shows great skills)
So what kind of options am I looking at? 20 gauge is what I originally wanted to go with- but then think a straight wall even though I’m not a fan at all …I was going to do a muzzleloader but cleaning is a pain and we don’t have a ton of time. So any help or direction would be great. Thanks

I am not a gun expert, but I am pretty sure I have seen cases where a 20 gauge kicks harder than some 12's. I know you said you were not a fan of straight walls, but from what I can tell, the right 350 legend is the best blend of deer killing power and light recoil for a youngster. At least the one that I have fits that bill, FWIW.

I too would prefer that straight wall cartridges not be allowed, but I just limit my shot distances, even with the rifle. I don't think I have ever taken a shot over 50 yards, definitely not over 75 yards, with it.

Agree with the 350 legend. Low recoil, definitely good to 150 yards. I purchased a CVA Cascade in 350 for my 8 year old. It has a spacer in the stock to shorten the length of pull. 600 dollar gun with a 1 moa guarantee. And a threaded barrel.
Good luck!

Thanks- I just want something that won’t end up scaring her. Even if it is a straight wall- like I said- I just know zero about guns so don’t even know which way to look. Thanks for the inputs!

Questions for you. Has she ever shot a gun before? How old is she? If she hasn't shot before, definitely start her out with a 22.

My daughter’s very first deer was shot w/ a 350 Legend. We initially purchased a bolt action but the spent cases wouldn’t eject without seriously beating up on the bolt handle. Took it back and picked up a Ruger AR. Super glad the first rifle didn’t work out. She shoots this gun lights out. Great ergos and very little recoil. With my help, she even made the handloads.
Good luck!

E499C69C-0C4A-4422-9A41-701E555B249F.jpeg

My daughter’s very first deer was shot w/ a 350 Legend. We initially purchased a bolt action but the spent cases wouldn’t eject without seriously beating up on the bolt handle. Took it back and picked up a Ruger AR. Super glad the first rifle didn’t work out. She shoots this gun lights out. Great ergos and very little recoil. With my help, she even made the handloads.
Good luck!

View attachment 123850

Interesting to hear about issues with a bolt. Everything I’ve heard is problems with cycling rounds in the AR platform. Just last night I looked down at my gun and saw a round that didn’t feed after a shot. It’s the first time it’s happened to me in the field. Was thinking about going to a bolt next year, but maybe I’ll just wait until Iowa legalizes necked cartridges

Much to my chagrin they did for a few. 35 Remington is legal and is oh so close to the same ballistics as the 350 legend.

350 legend all day. Started my boy about 5 with the .22 just plinking and getting use to the noise. Moved up from there and the 350 is pretty much equivalent to shooting a .223.

They are tack drivers

Top Bottom