Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Zone 5 vs. Zone 8

Zim

My buddy and I have a point going into this year's draw and should be able to draw bow tags. We've previously hunted zone 5 public land. The overcrowding was bad in our spots and I felt leasing was a big problem there if we tried for private land permission. Zone 8 is a shorter drive for us, and I don't see many outfitters located there as it is not an over-publicised area. Anyone have an opinion on chances of securing private land permission between these 2 units? I know there's virtually no public land in 8.

Our public land in zone 5 was horrible after coon, pheasant & duck seasons opened. There were even guys illegally trap shooting in the parking areas. As a bowhunter used to solitude, no way I can go through that again.

Zim, Zone 8 is pretty good for private ground for the bow season. Shotgun season is a nightmare with alot of "hunters" who have permission for life on farms after asking once about 20 years ago. We are constantly running into groups on our hunting spots where we talk to the landowners annually and make sure they get plenty of meat whether we shoot anything on their land or not. I'm rambling... I think you can find some private ground to bowhunt on with a little legwork. Most farmers don't see a stick and string as much of a threat to their deer hunting during the gun season. You're right about the dearth of public ground and what little is on the east side gets hit regularly. Good luck. Maggs

Zim,
Dont know anything about Zone eight but have hunted in 5 since 1994. Permission is getting tougher to get for sure. Howevever I have had good luck getting permission in North Missouri which is much tougher than Iowa, simply by hunting in places that others dont want to. They dont want to because ther is almost no timber. Fencelines running through huge open pastures can be red hot during the rut if you can find the right one. You will see no sign and almost no deer, but when you do see one it will almost always be a big buck on a mission to somewhere. This kind of hunting isnt for everyone, it takes a lot of faith and patience but since most hunters drive right by these places, it is usually much easier to get on them and the small game hunters are not a factor. Good luck in the draw!

All the hype is over Zone 5. I would go to zone 8. Check out the areas south of Dubuque, Princeton Bluff, and Maquoketa. All of these are producers for some nice deer. There are a lot of big hilly areas along the river that never get bowhunted. With the exception of Princeton, stay away from the Quad Cities. A few days of knocking on doors and a few tanks of Iowa ethanol, you will find a place to hunt. Put out a post with your email and I will write you. Don't miss the deadline.

My E-mail is: [email protected]

Funny I just noticed the odd system this site has. Our e-mails are not listed with our profiles. But there's an icon for sending a "private message". I wonder how that differs from an e-mail.

I need to play with some of the new toys on here.

Looks like the deadline is Sunday. Do they really answer the phones on Sunday? Well, I'll pick one of these and call in on Friday. Thanks for the input.

What the heck are these graemlins? I thought it was gremlins.

Zim, Let me know if you end up drawing in Zone 8 and I'll help you any way I can. (except showing you my spots of course!) Maggs

Top Bottom