Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best area in the state?

Casper16k

Where do you think the best area to hunt in the state is? One of my friends told me Clayton county was the best. Just looking for some suggestions.

Depends on the definition of "best". For harvest trends, you could look here. Based sheerly on the numbers, I'd rather hunt Clayton County over Grundy.

anywhere between the Mississippi and Missouri!

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto2351</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Southern Iowa is the best. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif </div></div>

ditto. everyone head south............ /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moosehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto2351</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Southern Iowa is the best. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif </div></div>

ditto. everyone head south............ /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

Go for the city limits of Des Moines. I have heard from a reliable source that there is a 250in typical hanging out there! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Oh wait....sorry, I guess he migrated to Maryland since word got out of his existance!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bukslayr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moosehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto2351</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Southern Iowa is the best. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif </div></div>

ditto. everyone head south............ /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div></div></div>

The BEST area, I don't know but I know where it isn't. SE Iowa between Eldon and Floris. I drove arround parts of the Eldon Game Area this morning with the fresh snow and only saw 6 tracks that crossed the road in over 5 miles. This is for real and not just trying to keep you away from my hot spot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SW /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif </div></div>

SW Minnesota

As far as number of trophies taken (with data)...Allamakee is #1 big buck county in the state, year after year...

Here is the data to prove top 5 counties in iowa

"Allamakee County in rugged northeast Iowa, leads all other counties, with 416 qualifying racks. Marion County, with rolling hills bisected by the Des Moines River valley, has the second highest number of entries: 305. Clayton County, along the Mississippi River in northeast Iowa, put 288 entries in the Registry, while Warren County, again in south-central Iowa, claimed fourth place with 282 trophy racks. Jackson County, along the Mississippi River in eastern Iowa, earned the fifth spot with 273 entries."

lots of good ground anywhere you go...I love southern Iowa personally! Hope this helps...

With the fresh snow I thought I would see more deer last weekend. I saw less than I've seen the last two shotgun seasons. Maybe all the antlerless tags are making an impact. I hunt Allamakee and Clayton counties, the deer must have headed south with all this ice. I'd hunt SE Iowa or follow T250 to his hunting spot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anywhere between the Mississippi and Missouri!:) </div></div>

thats what i think.....
oh wait, im quoting myself

Top Bottom