Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rage Broadheads

buck160

I want to hear your guys opinion on the Rage Broadheads. I have my own opinions but would like to hear everyones.

I'd maybe use them if they gave them to me for free and I didn't have to give a glowing endorsement.:D

Until then, I'll continue to shoot the heads I do.;)

i have seen both sides of it with these. My buddy shot a buck low and found huge piles of blood but finally after tracking for about 400 yards the blood stopped. I would most likely fault his shot before the broadhead. My brother and myself have shot deer all year with them and love them. Havent yet to have a issue. Knock on wood!

Ross, I shoot Rages. I love them. Most of my shots have been complete pass-thru's. Lots of blood, quick tracking jobs. I'd say the only downside to them is they aren't bone-crunchers like the fixed blades I used to shoot.

Haha ross you know my thought on Rages :) You hit shoulder bone and your gonna struggle big time. Muzzy 3 blade 100's have never failed me...busted through bone and plywood in my tests...and never a trail more than a 100 yards as of yet.

The only thing I've considered uses rages for is turkeys, but my jackhammers did a hell of a job on my turkey last year with a 5 yard retrieve lol.

-Dek

I'd maybe use them if they gave them to me for free and I didn't have to give a glowing endorsement.:D

Until then, I'll continue to shoot the heads I do.;)

Ok, I got a PM about this post requesting a retraction........

So here it is:

I was reminded that I was offered some Rages for free. I turned them down.

So I guess I would have to be paid to shoot them.:D

Not saying they are bad heads or anything, just really sick of the commercialization/promotion associated with these heads and thus you will never find them in my quiver. I'm sure the manufacturer is nervous at the loss of a potential customer.:rolleyes:

For me, I don't care who shoots them or backs them on TV. I have used them the past few years and have had great results. Only blood trails longer than 40-50 yards have been do to my poor shot placement. Have even blown them through shoulders with no problem. I hear of others having issues with hitting bone and wonder if it could be a kenetic energy issue.

Haha ross you know my thought on Rages :) You hit shoulder bone and your gonna struggle big time. Muzzy 3 blade 100's have never failed me...busted through bone and plywood in my tests...and never a trail more than a 100 yards as of yet.

The only thing I've considered uses rages for is turkeys, but my jackhammers did a hell of a job on my turkey last year with a 5 yard retrieve lol.

-Dek

Not picking on anyone here, but won't most any broadhead bust through plywood? I've yet to know of a broadhead that will actually go through any real bone.......ribs and shoulder scapula are common obstacles that broadheads go through, and yes a Rage will pass through them.

Not picking on anyone here, but won't most any broadhead bust through plywood? I've yet to know of a broadhead that will actually go through any real bone.......ribs and shoulder scapula are common obstacles that broadheads go through, and yes a Rage will pass through them.

I'm not saying they wont go through plywood, I 100% believe that they do...I was just saying that I never had any trouble with Muzzys so why fix something that isn't broken? But I do know of several people that have struggled with penetration issues and the Rages after striking bone. But I also know of people that swear by them, but personally I'm just not a fan. Just like I'm not a fan of Thunderheads design..but I know that thousands of deer have parished to them throughout their years on the market, but I had a couple of experences that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Well, my buddy and I just started to shoot them this year. I shot a doe and a buck with them and he shot a buck. We had huge holes and the deer went a combined distance of 100 yds with 3 deer down. Didn't hit any BIG bone, just ribs. I love them with those results, but I know that if I would stray to the front shoulder on a mature buck, they may have problems. Any sharp head will be good and the deer shouldn't go far. it is the "bad" shots that I like to see the heads shine. I am on the fence because I saw great results but hear bad things. Kind of hit and miss I guess.

Well, I love the 2 blades. I started to research why so many people had bad things to say about them. The main thing I noticed is that most of the people that didn't like them were shooting bows under 260fps. I shot 4 deer this year,3 thru the boiler room and one thru both shoulders. The farthest any of the deer went was 30 yards. They were all complete passthru's including both shoulders on one and another that exited thru the opposite shoulder. Im shooting 295fps with a 400gr arrow. My buddy on the other hand shoots 250fps with a 395gr arrow and he wounded 2 deer with them with little penetration. I really think its important to be shooting fast bow to be succesful with them.

I would agree. One question....the deer you shot through the shoulder, were they mature bucks or doe?? I know there is a huge difference between a 100 lb doe and a 4.5 year old 250 lb buck. Just wondering your findings

I saw the 7TH example (over 3 years), FIRST HAND, this year of Rage not doing what they are supposed to do. I've been counting :) The last instance was 3" of penetration when it should have passed through or at least killed deer for sure- not a shoulder hit. I don't use them BUT help my buddies track deer that were hit by Rage and "didn't go so well". Of course some work BUT SEVEVEN examples of failure is enough for me! :)
* I could explain "failures" but I have the proof for myself that I will never trust them

Last edited:
I shot a giant buck one time in the shoulder with a muzzy and only got about 2 inches of penetration. I don't think it matters what you have shooting them in certain areas of the shoulder. As far as rages go, I have drank the Kool aid and love them. Complete pass throughs in all instances with no failures. I wouldn't shoot them with a slow bow though. Regardless of what you are shooting, the main thing is to make sure they fly good out of your bow and you hit where you are aiming. If you do that, you could shoot any type of head you want.

I think I am going to stay with the other heads I have shot in the past just because of the uncertainy of these heads. Too many bad examples. I dont want to have the biggest buck of my life in front of me and have the head not do its job. Not worth it to me and I never saw a bad example personally and shot the biggest buck of my life with them. Still not worth the "what ifs"

I really think they are ONE of the WORST heads on the market. I recieved four inches of penetration in a shoulder shot off the ground, which is a heck of a story to only be let down because we couldnt find it. And again when I shot a deer quartering to me(I KNOW ITS A NO NO!!) I put it in one lung and barely touch the liver. Found the deer but only got 8 inches of penetration. I wont use them ever agian and will talk chit about them as much as possible to anyone that wants to listen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom