Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Speeding ticket by camera?

Rous14

PMA Member
Rode out to eastern IA w a friend of mine on a business trip recently and a couple weeks after we had come home he received a speeding ticket in the mail. Apparently drove past some sort of camera/speed trap that took a pic of his license plate. Had never seen or heard of this before.Figured Id ask you guys. Is this a common deal in IA?

Unfortunately, yeah. Des Moines has a a fair amount of speeding and no turn on red caneras. A construction zone on I-80 just outside Des Moines had a sign that said speed limit enforced by aircraft. Bunch of BS imo.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

yep! damn things are all over iowa.
And there are more going up all the time. I also know of some red light cameras too, where right turn on red is prohibited...and ticketed via cam.

As someone that owns a company with a couple/few dozen people driving all over eastern Iowa every day, I get these tickets via mail as the owner of the vehicle. Harrumph.

On my 3 hour trip back home up to northeast Iowa I think I counted 6 or 7 of them. Thats counting 380 through Cedar Rapids. Unfortunately one of them busted me as well. I heard there will be one coming on 80 near Newton as well if it hasn’t already.

Suprised other states aren’t doing it (at least MI & IL anyway). Glad they’re not but suprised.

My wife got one by Webster city on highway 20. Here’s what I want to know…do you have to pay them?
I don't believe they are criminal tickets, just civil. So not paying would probably at least hurt your credit report. If someone was driving her car and not her, she can probably get out of it. It would be interesting to see what an Iowa attorney says about these tickets.

My wife just received a speeding citation by cam in LeClaire. What if you’re not the registered driver? Your kid, friend etc borrows the car. It’s a bs revenue making scheme. It’s not law enforcement.

My wife got one by Webster city on highway 20. Here’s what I want to know…do you have to pay them?
I’ve heard you don’t have to pay them! Simon Conway has had many guests about cameras and if you don’t pay them you won’t be available to renew your drivers license when it comes time to renew!
Traffic Cameras are pure BS and a money grab

If you don’t pay them, they will attach a lien on your tax return. I had heard that also that you didn’t have to pay them and then got the letter.

if you are not the driver and contest it, they want you to disclose who was driving.

They do not go against your driving record

Rode out to eastern IA w a friend of mine on a business trip recently and a couple weeks after we had come home he received a speeding ticket in the mail. Apparently drove past some sort of camera/speed trap that took a pic of his license plate. Had never seen or heard of this before.Figured Id ask you guys. Is this a common deal in IA?
I know people who have refused to pay and they couldn't really make them. It's been several years now. I think they are garbage. Cedar Rapids has a couple. Davenport has a few. My radar detector warns me of all of them.

Top Bottom