Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

This years rut (weather and when to take time off)

fergyr

Hello Fellow Fanatics:

I am in the fortunate postion of having two weeks vacation from 29-Oct thru 9-Nov and I plan to be out in a tree during that time. I'm pretty sure that I could adjust that timeframe a week or so. I've been wondering about this crazy warm weather and how it could possibly impact the hot and heavy stuff that we are waiting for.

Have any of you given any thought to how this weather might impact primetime? I guess at this point I might as well keep my current plans, unless someone here can persuade me otherwise.

I'm very interested in your thoughts!
Thanks

I'd keep your vacation as is, I'm taking the FIRST full week of Nov. off because I think that's when your going to have the best chance at killing a mature buck that is roaming (seeking does). It's also a dark moon phase (new moon) so they should not be running all night chasing does. I have had good luck the last few years by switching to this week instead of the peak rut time frame. Good luck!

Can't go wrong with your dates - 1st week of Nov should be red hot as usual. I'm "vacationing" from 10/31 to 11/12 and then again from 11/19 - 11/27. I'm skipping the week in between thinking the big boys will be on lock down. Plans are always subject to change and if you have the ability move your dates around based on current conditions you'll be in good shape. Best of luck!

I would also agree. I killed by biggest buck on Oct. 29th of last year. Hopefully the weather will get the bucks stirring, and the farmers for that matter. All this rain is keeping the corn still in the fields...

10-24 thru 11-12 for me! If you give any creedance to Alshiemers moon predictions 10-26
(full moon)and on for a week or so iis suppose to be primetime. We shall see. FWIW, I am on my way to KS 10-26, about 5 days earlier than normal.

i'm looking at no work from october 27 - november 11 for bow season, should work nicely.

I would say those are good dates. Taking into account all of the above PLUS the amount of ground that will be covered by all the pheasant hunters!

I normally like the dates in the original post but due to the rediculous rains, there's too much corn in for my liking and I'm thinking much of it isn't coming out for a few weeks or more. For this reason, I'm switching it up a little this year and going with the first two full weeks of November instead. I'll hunt as much as I can from today forward but my stand locations are spottier with all the standing corn. Nov 5 thru 16 is on the vacation docket.

hoofline.gif

I am taking October 20th –November 4th off from work to hunt. I will also be hunting after work and on days off after that until I get my deer. Since I am off of work at 2:30 p.m. it makes for some good evening stand hunting.

<span style="color: #3366FF">Would you like to become a PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; </span>Details Here!<span style="color: #3366FF">&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;</span>

hoofline.gif

Re: This years rut (weather and when to take time

Nov. 7 8 9 for me. But, hopefully have one in the bag by then.

I'm going with my past experience and I say screw Charlie's moon theroy.

That said, a good cold snap at the end of October can really get things moving.

I'm off November 2nd - 18th.

If there is a full moon I hunt all day. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

If there is a new (dark) moon I hunt all day. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

If I'm off work I hunt all day. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Temperature and weather will be and always is the key to buck movement.

The harvest forum will be really busy the first two weeks of November. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm going with my past experience and I say screw Charlie's moon theroy.

That said, a good cold snap at the end of October can really get things moving.
If there is a full moon I hunt all day. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

If there is a new (dark) moon I hunt all day. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

If I'm off work I hunt all day. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Temperature and weather will be and always is the key to buck movement.
</div></div>

i'm with this guy, i don't worry that much about the moon, i don't hunt at night!!!

Top Bottom