Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Value of Tillable land, that should be put back to trees????

Trapshooter1

There's a farm for sale locally that is currently 75% tillable, 25% trees an oak planting from first glance to me.
Tillable is literally beach sand that carries a 20 average CSR2 rating. A lot of farm is 5 CSR.
And is being farmed. Farm really should be put in a program of some kind, I dont believe CRP will pay very well on a farm like this. Farm borders a river bottom but the farm itself is not part of the river. With a lot of work, I could see someone turning this property into a wildlife paradise.

We have very few farms like this in our area, most of the land here is highly productive. I'm curious what you guys on here think this farm is worth???

There is neighboring hunting pressure. A lot of huntng pressure to the south(indicated by 10 tree stands on the south side of farm) didn't see any stands on the west and north sides.

Very generically …. What is general region of state? how big is it roughly?
Very large & very small - my figures would change…. 20 csr & being that rough… should be all CRP & trees & food plots on best.
Right now, before fixed up- size & region dependent…. Probably $3500-4800. That’s off the cuff guess. & how it lays on Aerial & proximity to other farms would change that some too.
MAYBE someone asking more than that because the market is overvalued. Then - anything more is “I need to have it and I can do it”.
3-5 years ago I’d wanna pay like $2k to $3k max for that type of thing. But…. Sure, things are crazy & that’s history!
*10 stands on neighbors (that u can see) …. Yikes. Just caught that. That is a devaluation of land IMO. Not necessarily based on the market but based on “most guys will get sick of it and sell” because of that. Next guy will notice same thing- way harder to sell. & also harder because- the amount of mature bucks will LIKELY be lessor in those scenarios. Just be careful there. It’s like having a neighbor to a house that trashes his place. Or has party’s til 3am every weekend….
NEIGHBORS are probably as much to do with good or bad farm as the actual merits of the farm itself nowadays.

Last edited:
Sounds like Iowa is wanting to do like the state of Ill. and reclassify all farm ground 40 acres and less, that is not being farmed, to Land Lot and tax that property the same as if it were in town. That raises the taxes from the 8% farm ground to 33 &1/3%. Then if the farmhouse an buildings are setting on less that 10 acres they also get increased. Never trust a politician to do what is best for the citizens and the state.

Very generically …. What is general region of state? how big is it roughly?
Very large & very small - my figures would change…. 20 csr & being that rough… should be all CRP & trees & food plots on best.
Right now, before fixed up- size & region dependent…. Probably $3500-4800. That’s off the cuff guess. & how it lays on Aerial & proximity to other farms would change that some too.
MAYBE someone asking more than that because the market is overvalued. Then - anything more is “I need to have it and I can do it”.
3-5 years ago I’d wanna pay like $2k to $3k max for that type of thing. But…. Sure, things are crazy & that’s history!
*10 stands on neighbors (that u can see) …. Yikes. Just caught that. That is a devaluation of land IMO. Not necessarily based on the market but based on “most guys will get sick of it and sell” because of that. Next guy will notice same thing- way harder to sell. & also harder because- the amount of mature bucks will LIKELY be lessor in those scenarios. Just be careful there. It’s like having a neighbor to a house that trashes his place. Or has party’s til 3am every weekend….
NEIGHBORS are probably as much to do with good or bad farm as the actual merits of the farm itself nowadays.
I agree 100% on the neighbor comment..That makes or breaks a farm when you are trying to manage for age like we do.

Top Bottom