Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trapping 2023-2024

Feb 15th here, but you can hunt year around. What's the reasoning for the cutoff on trapping?
I'd assume incidental catches of non-target species. You'd think you could continue trapping coyotes year round as long as you released anything else but clearly regs in Iowa have never allowed it.

After finding several coyote killed fawns this past '23 spring, it became my goal to learn how to put a bigger hurt on the local coyote population. My brother and I have always called/hunted them, but it seems like you only get one crack at those dogs, then their buddies who get away are smart to the calls forever. SO - bought a few duke 550's and decided to start this spring. Read that now through April/May is the time that you have a chance at actually making a difference for the deer. I understand new dogs fill the voids quick, but the timing of the coyote breeding and fawn drop mentioned made sense in my head so that is the plan.

After becoming a new YouTube expert, i dyed, waxed, and set my first 4 dirt hole sets this past Friday. Used sheep wool with a big glob of a commercial bait, I think it's called "yodel dog", and bedded with peat I'd been air drying inside for a few months. I am in IL so it's still freezing. Saturday comes around and to my total shock, two suicidal sheep wool addicts stepped in the wrong spot. Honestly couldnt believe my eyes walking up on them. One male, one female. I've shot dozens of them over the years but being a few feet from a fully alive one snarling at you is WILD. I'm completely hooked now.

Needless to say I have 8 Duke's now and another time consuming hobby I didn't need. Hopefully have more updates to post soon!
Thanks for sharing I need to do the same . You mix the bait with the wool ?

Thanks for sharing I need to do the same . You mix the bait with the wool ?
I took a big pinch of wool maybe a couple cotton balls worth, and gobbed the bait on it. Kinda like you'd wipe a knife off with a paper towel. Not sure if that makes sense.

What baits or lures right now? I have some coyotes walking past dirt hole or trench sets on camera and not stopping to check them out. What all are some “go to” things u all recommend?

I got what I wanted for bobcat trapping- so I wanted to let this go. Do I “choose” to live life on the edge a bit??? Sure!!! Do I advise it to others? NO. Tried throwing sweatshirt on it. No go. So fast and came at me with claws and the teeth. Finally pinned him down with 6” branch & got one hand forced down on trap & he slipped away. Not even a thank u!?!?!? ;)
IMG_8388.jpeg

I got what I wanted for bobcat trapping- so I wanted to let this go. Do I “choose” to live life on the edge a bit??? Sure!!! Do I advise it to others? NO. Tried throwing sweatshirt on it. No go. So fast and came at me with claws and the teeth. Finally pinned him down with 6” branch & got one hand forced down on trap & he slipped away. Not even a thank u!?!?!? ;)
View attachment 127041
LOL. Never a dull moment Skippy!

View attachment 127041

Easiest ways to release them are a piece of plywood with a half circle cut out the bottom or place a tote over them and slide a foot out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What baits or lures right now? I have some coyotes walking past dirt hole or trench sets on camera and not stopping to check them out. What all are some “go to” things u all recommend?

You can try a lure, but remember you can lead a horse to water but that doesn’t mean it will drink. You can have everything right and sometimes they just walk by. I’ve had traps set for 2 months before a coyote decided to work a set. And they walked by almost daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom