Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

'06 or .308?

iabwhntr

I'm on the verge of owning a new bolt action but can't make up my mind. I get hung up on things like availability/options of ammo as well as retained energy out to 300yds. Thoughts and opinions?

I went for the .300 Win Mag. But I wanted one rifle that could handle all North American Big game. Def not a go to the range and shoot just for the sake of shooting gun!

Figure out what you want it for and pick your caliber.

I dont think ya can go wrong with the 30-06, very available. Lots of variety in bullet wieghts, of the centerfires i own its my favorite. Never owned a .308 but im sure its a great cartridge as well based on its popularity. Just get both :).

Benelliblaster said:
I dont think ya can go wrong with the 30-06, very available. Lots of variety in bullet wieghts, of the centerfires i own its my favorite. Never owned a .308 but im sure its a great cartridge as well based on its popularity. Just get both :).

Yep. I'm a die hard '06 shooter, but hand load both '06 and .308. You will have more versatility with the '06 and it will take any North American game you want. You'll save a couple of pounds with the .308 being a short action and only lose about 200 fps with it vs. the '06. Both rounds will give you plenty of knock down power and accuracy well beyond 300 yards. I'd give the edge to the '06 as a hunting rifle due to more wide-spread availability of ammo when you travel. That, and I have a serious '06 bias!

Top Bottom